Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How do i improve cd-da compatibility?

Burn baby burn!

How do i improve cd-da compatibility?

Postby Manatu on Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:06 am

I don´t have cd player in my car, so i use a Discman with the cd tape, but my discman is very sensitive (-->stupid) it plays every cd i put there but will make the music jump some sec. and some times make little noises...
I´ve tried to use EAC to extract the tracks and then burn them @8x, it got a little better, i also found out that it likes 74min cds more than 80min, then one day i heard of yamaha AMQ. Do anyone know anything like AMQ (to those that don´t have a yamaha burner) or any other solution that improves the audio compatibility?
The bear is waiting...
Manatu
Buffer Underrun

Re: How do i improve cd-da compatibility?

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:00 am

Manatu wrote:I don´t have cd player in my car, so i use a Discman with the cd tape, but my discman is very sensitive (-->stupid) it plays every cd i put there but will make the music jump some sec. and some times make little noises...
I´ve tried to use EAC to extract the tracks and then burn them @8x, it got a little better, i also found out that it likes 74min cds more than 80min, then one day i heard of yamaha AMQ. Do anyone know anything like AMQ (to those that don´t have a yamaha burner) or any other solution that improves the audio compatibility?

I also found the same thing about my discman & 80 minute cd's.
But, mine plays a 99 minute audio disc just fine!

It's a design problem with the player.

I recommend using 74min discs as long as you can. They're getting hard to find in Canada (decent brand name ones anyway).

Put the discman on the passenger seat or in your lap where it's somewhat cushioned from the vibrations of the road. Avoid putting it on the dashboard or in a centre console unless it's cushioned.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Thanks Spazmogen!

Postby Manatu on Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:48 pm

I usually put it in the passenger seat. And 74min cds are becoming rare in Portugal too... Maybe i´ll give it a try with 90/99min cds, who knows how it will play them...
The bear is waiting...
Manatu
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:59 pm

Read the bottom of this webpage:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/brad.ormsby/spazmogen.htm for how the discman handles 99 minute audio discs.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Re: How do i improve cd-da compatibility?

Postby Halc on Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:43 am

Manatu wrote:...any other solution that improves the audio compatibility?

1. Burn at the lowest speed supported by your hardware (sometimes second lowest can be even better). Do not burn with speeds that are 'software emulated', because your hardware doesn't know how to burn that slow otherwise.

2. Use the media most compatible with your burner (trial and error, but usually TY & Verbatim media are good starts). Usually requires Trial and Error and/or the use of C1/C2 measurement utilities (such as CD Doctor)

3. Use media that has the hightest reflectivity values (skip gold, skip black, try to find silver if possible)

4. Try and find a cdr type that is most compatible with your player. Sounds simple, but many people don't even try to find the most compatible media.

5. Try to take care of the CDs (do not leave them on the dashboard, avoid scratches, don't leave in sunlight) and the other obvious tips you already knew :)
Halc
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives