Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Speed On Combo Drives For Them To Be Quiet?

Burn baby burn!

Speed On Combo Drives For Them To Be Quiet?

Postby craiger on Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:22 pm

How low would you have to go in order for the combo drives to be quiet while they operate but have high speeds? 48x24x48x16? or lower? I hope I wouldn't have to go lower. That new Lite-On 48x24x48x16x combo looks good. Or should I wait on Lite-On's 52x24x52x16x combo? Would that be noisier? The Lite-On's look good because the 48x24x48x16x only requiers a regular Pentium 133 processor. I wonder how that is when other 16x DVD-Rom drives require a Pentium II 350-400? I am assuming Lite-On's 52x24x52x16x combo wouldn't be much more in processor power? Plus it has Mt. Rainier right? I guess NewEgg.Com would willl have that one soon? I hope I am not bugging you guys two much on this subject. I'll stop if you want me to. I just can't seem to make up my mind, sorry. I can't stand the constant change in speeds. Thanks, Craig.
craiger

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Apr 11, 2003 1:42 am

I think that the noise level depends greatly on the manufacturer. I have heard that Samsung is quieter than Lite-On, but I have also heard that Samsung is less reliable than Lite-On. My personal preference would be Lite-On. I guess my nickname gives that away.

I know how frustrating it is that the drives have been changing so fast. I remember when my 32x12x40 seemed like something pretty fast (and I was thrilled at the deal I got on it too; it cost more on sale than some 52x drives on sale do now).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Action Jackson on Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:34 am

All I can say is that my LG combo drive is a lot quieter than my LiteON tornado.... 8)
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:53 am

craiger, the reason why most combo drives require so much CPU power is because of the software that come with them. While the Lite-On might work fine with a Pentium 133, I doubt you'll be able to play back any DVD movies with it if you're using a software based decoder.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives