Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Aopen Burners Buffer gone Wacko

Burn baby burn!

Postby IceManU on Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:56 am

I just got a new Aopen 52x24x52 the other night and burned my first cd with it. It acted a little wacky on me. First the buffer not sure if it is the read or write bufer it is the longer one about the progress meter. It goes a little crazy on me. It starts off fine and then it will start to go down and then the smaller buffer meter at the bottom starts to go down a bit then then it picks up and then the top buffer meter will go down to almost nil and then it will start to get back to 90 - 100% when the smaller buffer meter does. After all of this and when the progress meter reached 100% Nero made the boo's like the disk was a coaster, but when I went and played the disc it was fine. Can anyone shed some light on this for me because if I bought a bum writer I want to return it asap and if it was just the way it works then fine. But I had an HP 8x4x32 that burned without all of that buffer circus. I had Justlink enable and I was burning at 32x as per the media I was using. Any opinions are greatly appreciated as well as options on how to fix this.

Thank
Ice
Sing When Your Winning.
IceManU
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:42 am

Enable DMA.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Albinoni on Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:45 am

1. What OS are you using ?
2. What software are you using for burning ?
3. Have you enabled DMA in your OS to help prevent this problem ?
4. What media are you using ?

Ok normally when the unit is burning the LED light should turn RED, well perhaps not on all, but it does on my BENQ and Liteon CD burners. If the LED light goes orange/yellow then this means that buffer underun has kicked in, and this will normally slow down the burn, or the burner will pause the disc while fixing up the error before carying on burning, really no big deal, but the burn will just take longer. When the % graph or mark (in Nero) goes below 50%, then buffer underun will kick in. I had this same problem with my Liteon 48246S and did burn or copy a CD at high speed (32x), got lots of orange lights and red. After some great help and advice from this forum, I enabled DMA in both my OS's Wim 2000 Pro and 98SE, and since then I've never ever had another orange light or buffer underun error.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby IceManU on Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:54 am

I am using;

WinXP Pro
Nero 5.10

I haven't enabled DMA, where do I go to do this?

I was using a TDK CDR 32X max disc for a media.

What part of Australia are you in. I was there two years ago love it great Country.
Sing When Your Winning.
IceManU
Buffer Underrun

Re: Aopen Burners Buffer gone Wacko

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 11, 2003 9:55 am

IceManU wrote:I haven't enabled DMA, where do I go to do this?

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9667
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Aopen buffer

Postby IceManU on Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:08 am

Thanks Ian much appreciated.

Ice
Sing When Your Winning.
IceManU
Buffer Underrun

Postby Albinoni on Fri Apr 11, 2003 2:08 pm

IceMan U, I live in Melbourne, Australia. Currently doing my MCP/MCSE in computers and hope one day to get into the field of networking.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Aopen

Postby IceManU on Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:23 am

Albinoni, I was in Melbourne for a bit, but spent most of my time in Lorne along the Great Ocean Road. One of the most beautiful places in Australia. I hae a friend here from Canada who married a beautiful Aussie girl and they own an awesome resort up there. I did spend my last night in Melbourne partying and getting on the piss. Love VB best beer in the world mate. Melborne Bitter a close second, also Boags.

Go Devils.
Sing When Your Winning.
IceManU
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives