Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which Blank Media Works Best with Which CD-RW Drives?

Burn baby burn!

Postby EEG161 on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:10 pm

Plextor 40x PW-401240a.
Successful with Sony CDR's: 700 Mb. 80 min. 1x-32x.
30CDQ80L1
Nero 5 & DirectCD 5.3
No problems.
EEG161
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:23 pm

EEG161 wrote:Plextor 40x PW-401240a.
Successful with Sony CDR's: 700 Mb. 80 min. 1x-32x.
30CDQ80L1
Nero 5 & DirectCD 5.3
No problems.

wrong place, EEG, to post the info.
this thread has been superceded by the media compatibility thread
Media Compatibility With CD-RW Drives - Which Media Is Best?

Ian, would you lock this thread?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:26 am

Not that it matters, I don't care where the results are posted, as long as
they are posted. :)

Thanks EEG161.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby ben-xo on Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:03 am

I have an Acer/BenQ 1208A (12x maximum write) with 9.CC firmware

The following media have been serving me successfully:
Kodak Ultima Silver/Gold ....... 12x (no surprises there, but they're discontinued :( )

The following media have been causing problems:
Verbatim Super-Azo ....... 8x FAILS !!! (many errors per disc)
Verbatim Super-Azo ....... 12x Much better results, surprisingly, although still "borderline"? (encountered 1 or 2 recoverable errors, but that could be because i have a dusty DVD drive which i did the error check in).

So, slower is not always better. I think these Verbatims are manufactured for longevity from higher burn speeds??
Ben XO
ben-xo
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:44 am

No need to post your results here as well, ben-xo.

Moderators, maybe this thread really should be locked since it has long since been overtaken by the sticky thread.

It's amazing how some people can't/won't search for a thread two-hours old, but others will dig and dig to find zombie threads and resurrect them. :lol: :wink: 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ben-xo on Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:23 am

This thread was the one that google returned! I didnt notice the link to the updated thread until i'd already replied ^^;;

I've been frantically web searching for a solution to my Verbatim/Acer problem which doesnt involve buying a new drive, but it's looking much like there isnt one. (Hence multiple posts from me on the same subject ... sorry :oops: )
Ben XO
ben-xo
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Apr 11, 2003 12:06 pm

That's okay, ben-xo. I wasn't crticizing you for searching first. In fact, we like to encourage that! :D However, we don't like double posting, though I understand that you came to this thread first and only after posting discovered that another thread was more suitable.

For future reference, there is a delete button Image located above the text of your post at the far right margin. You can use it to delete errant posts before someone replies. Once someone replies, the button goes away and you can no longer delete.

No real harm done. 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby jase on Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:03 pm

ben-xo wrote:This thread was the one that google returned! I didnt notice the link to the updated thread until i'd already replied ^^;;

I've been frantically web searching for a solution to my Verbatim/Acer problem which doesnt involve buying a new drive, but it's looking much like there isnt one. (Hence multiple posts from me on the same subject ... sorry :oops: )

OK, I know some folk are going to flame me for keeping an old thread going, but I thought I'd try to help ben-xo out......

I had a 12x Acer drive many moons ago and found, after a LOT of experimentation (because the cyanine/blue discs were in the majority at the time, d'oh!) that this drive works best (by a long way) with phthalocyanine media (the yellow or gold discs like the Kodaks). With cyanine (blue or blue-green) or AZO (Verbatim/Mitsubishi) it performs badly. I now have a 52x Artec drive which performs in a similar way.

You have two options:

1) Use phthalocyanine media (ironically there aren't any top-class manufacturers left making this stuff!!!). Ritek- or CMC-based discs will likely work well (Imation?).

2) Write the discs you have more slowly. I found that this drive would write cyanine/AZO media OK at 4x. Not the answer you want to hear but....

Of course you could just get a new drive. The cost of a 100-spindle of new media for your current drive might not be much more than the cost of a new LiteOn drive minus a bit for your Acer on ebay ;)
jase
CD-RW Player

Fully off-topic

Postby MediumRare on Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:24 pm

Hi jase,
congratulations on 1 K posts :D :D

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby cfitz on Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:10 pm

Hey, yeah. I hadn't noticed. Well done! :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:04 pm

I don't mind if this thread keeps going. It's fine for chatting about media. I'm proud that it is on the first page of Google under the search term "which blank media is best". :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby jase on Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:02 pm

Heh. Thanks guys :)
jase
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives