Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Yamaha F1s

Burn baby burn!

Yamaha F1s

Postby Coolsquirtle on Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:11 pm

These things are disappearing fast and i need to know, is there any other drive on earth that has the similar technology that this drives has?? or coming soon like CDT@2 and Audio master???? there is two drives left down at my local retailer and if these are my best bet i'll be getting them ASAP
Coolsquirtle
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:15 pm

Plextor's VariRec technology is similar to Audio Master. Well, not technically, but they have similar goals.

Unfortunately, the F1 is the only drive with Disc T@2 support. I was hoping that Yamaha would license it out, but who knows if that will happen.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:29 pm

IMO Plextor's VariRec is a lot of hooeey.
haven't read a single report that claimed it actually improved the sound quality.

just a marketing gimmick.
(i'm a plextor fan, btw...)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Re: Yamaha F1s

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:31 pm

Coolsquirtle wrote:These things are disappearing fast and i need to know, is there any other drive on earth that has the similar technology that this drives has?? or coming soon like CDT@2 and Audio master???? there is two drives left down at my local retailer and if these are my best bet i'll be getting them ASAP

if you want those features, i suggest you run to your local retailer and buy that F1.

i would really like to get an external FireWire F1.
too bad i can't afford it... :cry:
and if/when i will be able to, there won't be any! :o
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Coolsquirtle on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:39 am

If u had a choice between the F1 and the new Plextors drive that is coming out which would u pick and why??
Coolsquirtle
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:29 am

If you want superior audio burning at 4x speed: Yamaha F1

If you want ability to test for C1/C2 errors and some relative amount of jitter in your burns: Plextor Premium

If you want to risk Yamaha's support waning away or breaking down of your drive and only audio quality matters: Yamaha F1

If you want to circumvent copy protected audio CDs: Plextor Premium (due to PlexTools, although Yamaha is no slouch either)

It depends on what you want, really. There could be a dozen of different questions based on which to decide.

regards,
Halc

PS I haven't seen a single test where Plextor's Varirec has produced better results than the default settings. I think it's a just a marketing gimmick, whereas Yamaha's AudioMaster actually works.
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:37 am

Halc wrote:PS I haven't seen a single test where Plextor's Varirec has produced better results than the default settings. I think it's a just a marketing gimmick, whereas Yamaha's AudioMaster actually works.

quite. my point exactly.

Halc makes good points...
personally i think i would prefer the plextor...
but in any case it's better to wait till there are some reviews of the drive!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Harrier on Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:29 pm

Halc, would you explain your postulation of plextor being able to copy protected cds?
It has already been proven that the Plextor 48X can't copy all protected media whereas LiteOn drives have some nice (and better) executions with a wide variety of protected pressed cds.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:18 pm

yes, Lite-On drives are better than Plextor drives when it comes to copying protected DATA CDs, specifically games.
Plextor drives are better than Lite-On drives at copying protected AUDIO CDs.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Coolsquirtle on Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:15 pm

well i don't like lite-on at all nor asus nor LG burners because their just build to do what they only do, burn and burn somemore, i don't really care that much about speed (crusing with my Yamaha 16x) i am looking for good technologies and quality such as Plextor, Yamaha, etc. The F1 was exactly what i was looking for, a technological crammed burner but unfortunaly, their gone~~~~~ WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!! now i am look at the next burner that has similar DiskT@2 and audio technology shall be my next baby~~~~~~~~~~
Coolsquirtle
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:28 pm

Coolsquirtle wrote:well i don't like lite-on at all nor asus nor LG burners because their just build to do what they only do, burn and burn somemore, i don't really care that much about speed (crusing with my Yamaha 16x) i am looking for good technologies and quality such as Plextor, Yamaha, etc. The F1 was exactly what i was looking for, a technological crammed burner but unfortunaly, their gone~~~~~ WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!! now i am look at the next burner that has similar DiskT@2 and audio technology shall be my next baby~~~~~~~~~~

alas, it is unlikely that any other manufacturer will have such features in their drives. at least in the near future.
if you really want these features, i suggest you make the extra effort/pay the extra cash, and get one of the last F1s.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby kgatwork on Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:42 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Coolsquirtle wrote:well i don't like lite-on at all nor asus nor LG burners because their just build to do what they only do, burn and burn somemore, i don't really care that much about speed (crusing with my Yamaha 16x) i am looking for good technologies and quality such as Plextor, Yamaha, etc. The F1 was exactly what i was looking for, a technological crammed burner but unfortunaly, their gone~~~~~ WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!!!! now i am look at the next burner that has similar DiskT@2 and audio technology shall be my next baby~~~~~~~~~~

alas, it is unlikely that any other manufacturer will have such features in their drives. at least in the near future.
if you really want these features, i suggest you make the extra effort/pay the extra cash, and get one of the last F1s.

Just a quick comment: If you really like the F1 just pick it up before they are all gone, they are pretty cheap. I picked up a new external USB2 for US$90 just recently at Costco, so I would just look around you never know what you might find.

Good Luck!
kgatwork
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives