Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Plextor's Press Announcements

Burn baby burn!

Plextor's Press Announcements

Postby craiger on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:21 pm

I was wondering with a bunch of press releases all of a sudden from Plextor lately, is it a matter of time before Plextor announces a new combo drive? Plextor's first CD-RW/DVD combo has been out for some time now. Would they announce a 48x24x48x16x combo or maybe even a 52x32x52x16x combo and wouldn't it be cool if Plextor did any of these drives with an 8mb buffer, Mt. Rainer support and quiet mode. Or I was wondering if that new Plextor 52x32x52 would suit me just fine? I don't play video games much and I don't play DVD movies on my PC. I have a DVD Player for my TV. I think now I have decided to go with Plextor. They are built better and more reliable then Lite-ON right? Or am I wrong? I know, know, Ian's saying just get one already. Hehe. :) Thanks, Craiger.
craiger

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:40 pm

he's not the only one... :wink:

i don't see how having many press releases recently, for new DVD+RW, Flash, CDROM, DVDROM, CDRW drives means there will be one for a CDRW/DVD combo...how does that follow?

if we're in the guessing game, i don't think it likely that they will announce a 52/32/52/16 combo. Plextor's combo drives have till now never been as fast as the regular CDRW drives, and the 52/32/52 CDRW isn't even out yet!

sounds (from your last post and also from previous ones) like you don't really nead DVD functionality, so why bother with combo drives? that don't exist yet? just buy a regular CDRW drive.

as for Plextor vs. Lite-On, PLEASE, there have been like 1000 topics in the forums about this, what do you think a new one will bring about?

i think you've gleaned every possible bit of information, advice and suggestion you can from the members of these forums. at some point you are going to have to make up your own mind, and make a decision as to what drive to get.
after all, craiger, it's not such a momentuous decision.
just buy a drive, i'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

good luck! :D
and don't forget to keep us posted as to what drive you've bought!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:45 pm

Amen brother dodecahedron!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby vinnie97 on Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:47 pm

All I know is I'm sailing pretty with my Lite-On branded TDK VeloCD 48X drive (w/ the blue tray ;)). I've even overclocked it to a 52X Lite On with the latest firmware, and have nil complaints. 8 months & counting...!
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:57 pm

blue tray?? I'm jealous!
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:07 pm

hehe, yes, do the recent TDK's no longer use the colored trays?

Also, I do have to give an addendum to my above post.....the most recent Lite-On firmware did hiccup on a recent TY I burnt at full-speed. :oops: CDSpeed listed one block burnt as unreadable and Kprobe even revealed some C2 errors. :x
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:12 pm

I haven't seen an official TDK burner yet, so I didn't know they had coloured trays...had I known that, I would have gone for a TDK LiteON instead of a Generic LiteON!

That's odd that a T.Y. disc would not perform well with a LiteON drive, since more then anything, LiteON is fine tuned to work with Taiyo Yuden media....
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:30 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:I haven't seen an official TDK burner yet, so I didn't know they had coloured trays...had I known that, I would have gone for a TDK LiteON instead of a Generic LiteON!

should just read the reviews... :wink:

this last one even has a blue tray!

this one is an albino! :D

OK since they done the white and blue, the next color should be red! :P
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:52 pm

Wow, those look really good! now I really want one...

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby vinnie97 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:04 pm

Yes, very odd...I hope it was just a burning anomaly...I do know that spazmogen was having problems with the latest Lite-On firmware (but I believe that was for the 48X burner).

Nice pasting job, dodecahedron. :D
vinnie97
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:17 pm

hrm, well you can always downgrade the firmware and try again. Luckily that is pretty easy to do with LiteONs :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives