Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Posting to multiple sites simultaneously

What was that?

Posting to multiple sites simultaneously

Postby cfitz on Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:09 pm

Okay, the curmudgeon is back with another rant. How does everyone feel about people who post the same question(s) on multiple web sites at the same time? I recently noticed someone who posted the same question here, on CDFreaks, on AfterDawn, on cdrinfo and who knows where else. And this person did this more than once. In my opinion, not cool at all! :x :evil:

Please show some respect for the people upon whom you are imposing. They are volunteering their time to help you out, and if you are already getting or have gotten the answers somewhere else, you are just wasting their time.

I can understand someone posting the same question on another site if that person doesn't get a satisfactory answer, or any answer at all, on the first site where he posts. But to simultaneously post the same question to every site out there, shotgun-blast style, seems like very poor form to me.

How do others feel?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby vbl117 on Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:46 pm

Well i have posted the same question on two forums :oops: ( a french and an english forum ) last week but that was because the subject was hard and i wanted to have different point of views . On one forum i have mainly learned what i could make , on the other i have mainly learned why and how i could make it . And of course i made a little search by myself ( i needed to be guided by some people ) . After succeeding in my hardware upgrade i reported my successful results accurately on each site . I know reporting good results is useful for people using forums or search engine .

I think posting on more than one forum is acceptable in some special cases ( for hard subjects for example ) . I know some have already done it because they had no reply at all and it is accceptable . But posting a question systematically on many forums for all subjects seems to me nonsense and unwise . :o

Either you waste time in making specific replies , either you reply the same things in all forums which could be very weird and obviously DISRESPECTFUL . :(

However i guess some people lacks experience and act sometimes in an weird way without bad INTENTION and in an INGENUOUS way . :)
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:06 pm

I'm with cfitz all the way.
But since I don't bother reading those other CDR forums, I don't know who's the one guilty of such activity. I'm very loyal to CDRLabs since this has the best members, information, and community than those other forums.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:18 pm

I don't like it either !! :-?
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:17 am

I'm glad to see I'm not totally alone on this issue. Thanks guys.

vbl117 wrote:I think posting on more than one forum is acceptable in some special cases ( for hard subjects for example )

Yes, I won't say there is absolutely no situation where it might be warranted, but I think in general it is rude, and certainly if it is done with consistency. Thanks for your reasoned opinion.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Matt on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:21 pm

Cross posting on newsgroups is severely admonished as well as considered abuse in many of the communities and often reported as such.

I think the reasoning is that the posters are trying to get their issues addressed more quickly by a larger range of audience, however I consider it rude and "spam" ish because they're just using the shot gun approach without consideration of the well being of either forum often disreguarding forum policies and rules.
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:47 am

I'm guilty of that, I was getting no replies on it here so I went somewhere else, sorry.

Is it okay to post the same question in one forum and in your own? I have posted a question in my Turkeyscore.com forum and Here. (I only have registered users at turkeyscore...pretty sad when 3 are moderators/admin)
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:56 am

Turkeyscore.com wrote:I'm guilty of that, I was getting no replies on it here so I went somewhere else, sorry.

I don't consider that to be bad behavior. If you post in one forum and don't get any satisfactory answers after a couple of days, then I don't see anything wrong with moving to another forum. It would be unreasonable to expect someone to have only one chance at posting a question. After all, there is no guarantee that a question will be answered properly in the first forum to which one posts. The only thing I object to is simultaneous postings to multiple forums.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon Mar 31, 2003 3:19 am

oic, wasnt me then. hehe
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:17 pm

Oh-oh, late to this thread.

BuddaTB: I slightly disagree with you on the loyalty issue. I don't consider forums akin to sports teams. I don't see it as disloyalty to participate in more than one forum. I have no problem learning different things in different places, and if I can contribute in more than one place, better yet.

cfitz: I agree with you on both points. Simultaneous posting is extremely selfish. However, if one can't get a definitive answer after a day or two in one forum, should we expect that problem to go unsolved forever? I participate daily in Robert Thompson's (author of PC Hardware in a Nutshell) forum, http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi. From time to time I recommend this forum when very specific questions regarding optical storage arise there and the poster doesn't receive a tractable answer after a reasonable period. (If you poke around there, you'll probably recognize me.)

BuddaTB: Had to go to a different facility (in Irvine) this AM for a meeting. Drove right by the Fry's in Fountain Valley back home this evening and my steering wheel didn't even twitch.

Slim
Who is only going to post this opinion once.
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:32 pm

CowboySlim wrote:BuddaTB: I slightly disagree with you on the loyalty issue. I don't consider forums akin to sports teams. I don't see it as disloyalty to participate in more than one forum. I have no problem learning different things in different places, and if I can contribute in more than one place, better yet.

I don't even bother visiting those other CDR forums, since I feel this one suits my needs very well. Plus I visiting the forums on a daily basis. On top of that, I've had some nice conversations with people that I have befriended since my first day visiting CDRLabs.

CowboySlim wrote:BuddaTB: Had to go to a different facility (in Irvine) this AM for a meeting. Drove right by the Fry's in Fountain Valley back home this evening and my steering wheel didn't even twitch.

Keep up the good work Slim. I know it can be hard, but your showing really good restraint. Hopefully you don't go too far in the other direction though.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:39 pm

Oh-no, BuddaTB,

I'll go again when I NEED something that only they have or they have cheaper. It's the impulse to stop by to browse that I'm now have under control.

Now this W/E I'll have to deal with the LAComputerFair as it returns to Costa Mesa!

Non-impulsively yours,
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:02 am

CDRLabs's forums are the only ones I browse. :(
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:34 am

Good enough Boone ! :wink:
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:09 pm

Also late here. It's not regarded alright to post in more than one website in South Korea either.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:59 pm

If I do that I usually say that I've asked elsewhere also. I participate in many boards for this kind of stuff and several car type places for my favorite manufacturer.
Some places seem to like to have wars, I try to stay out of that and just enjoy the different personalities and different info and ways of doing things.
I have learned a lot from all of the places I visit, like LiteOn drives are good for what I want to do, the 500a is a good dvd writer for me, etc.
I also try to help others when I think I can and it's nice when it actually does some good for someone :)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby Hemispasm on Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:44 pm

well actually i dont like it either when i see the same questions posted by the same user on different forums, and i have seen it a lot. Truth remains though, that a solution to a problem can sometimes be found by bits and parts from different posts that could be on different forums. Plus, whenever the user gets the answer he hoped for, he can always visit the forum he posted the same question and leave a link for the others to follow (so that the time of mods/admins and other members isnt wasted).

But as cfitz said, one asking a question in a different forum because of insufficient replies in the first is a whole different thingy than one asking simultaneously the same question in 5 different forums.
This is the way ... Step inside
Hemispasm
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 pm

cfitz,

I totally agree with you. :)

As a matter of fact, we have a recent offender who has posted the exact same topic "Argggh! LG 8141b. I just cant figure CD-R recorders out!" and identical questions at CDRLabs and CD-ROM Guide on the same date.

Any volunteers who have worked up a head of steam and want to play Bad Cop may care to reply to this practice in the CDRLabs thread. :wink:

I will play the part of the Snitch. :lol:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:36 pm

Okay, but keep in mind that the practice is considered to be acceptable at CDFreaks:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... post415169

So please don't chastise people there.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:16 am

cfitz wrote:Okay, but keep in mind that the practice is considered to be acceptable at CDFreaks:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php ... post415169

So please don't chastise people there.

cfitz

Not very likely as I don't contribute there anymore. I agree with your logic and overview of the situation, and not with theirs. As a matter of fact, there are many things about that site that I don't agree with, which is why I first resigned as a moderator and finally left altogether.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:54 am

Well, that is their loss. But I'm glad you are here. I think everyone agrees that you are a very valued contributor, even if you do only have 397 posts... :roll: Okay, not everyone, but everyone with intellectual capacity exceeding that of a 9-year old. :wink: :D 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:05 am

Confirmed! :P

I had been missing you, Inertia, before you decided to reappear here. As for post counts, sooner or later such counts won't include one-liners (to the detriment of some well-known almost-record holders) and contentless replies. BTW, recently cfitz has been making up for your absence at CDFreaks! :lol:
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:57 am

Thanks for the kind words, my friends. :)

And be merciful to the undercocked. :lol: :lol:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:24 am

cfitz wrote:Well, that is their loss. But I'm glad you are here. I think everyone agrees that you are a very valued contributor, even if you do only have 397 posts...

KCK wrote:I had been missing you, Inertia, before you decided to reappear here.

ditto! :D
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:27 pm

Thanks, dodecahedron, et al. :)

Just to clarify, the reason for my recent absence on this board was bacause I didn't have internet access, and nothing else.

When I was back online, I was back here. :wink:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Rants n' Raves