Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem: Sony CD Extreme + Px Engine update

Anything else

Problem: Sony CD Extreme + Px Engine update

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:36 am

i downloaded Sony CD Extreme and updated to build 2.0.799, so far everything's OK and it works, except it won't recognize my Plex 40x.
tried updating the Px Engine with update 327 from
ftp://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/ex ... ate327.exe
or with Px Engine update 358 from
http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/e ... ine358.exe
(the most recent AFAIK, this is from Verita's website http://www.veritas.com/us/products/recordnow/drivers
EDIT: this last URL seems not to work anymore. can't find a Px Engine update page at www.veritas.com , there used to be one!)

in either case, if i try to start the program, i get the splash and on it the text: initializing... Loading Px Engine... Scanning Buses... Almost done... (this is the normal routine) and then i get an error dialog window titled Sony CD Extreme that says:
Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range.

and then the prog shuts itself down.

any idea what's going on? any help?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BuddhaTB on Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:43 am

I think Sony's CD Extreme program only supports CD-RW drives up to a certain speed. It worked with my 12x TDK drive, but it wouldn't work with my 48x TDK one. So I think your going to have to use Nero instead, even though I liked the simplicity of Sony's CD Extreme too.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:03 am

dodecahedron,

Sony CD Extreme is a clone of Prassi PrimoCD, and these products have been neglected ever since Veritas bought Prassi (around a couple of years ago). As a result, even though the PX Engine update 358 includes support for the Plextor 4012A, these older unsupported products may not work properly.

If you like (as I do) the features and operation of the Prassi programs, your best bet is to download the trial copy of RecordNow Max. This is the last generation of its type, and is more likely to support your Plextor than any Prassi-derived product.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, it is somewhat cripple-ware in that it has no opportunity for fully supporting the lastest burners due to Veritas's mishandling of this otherwise excellent burning software. Stomp is trying to fake it by using MMC commands to partially support burner functions, but full support will not be available if the PX Engine updates have been discontinued. For example, RecordNow Max will recognize the LiteOn LTR 52246S as a CD-RW but the available speeds are Max, 12x, 10x, 8x, 4x, 2x, and 1x. Obviously, a number of these speeds are bogus and do not exist for this model LiteOn. This demonstrates the serious limitations of Stomp's "drive support". On the other hand, neither Stomp's Click'N Burn Pro or Prassi PrimoCD Pro recognize the LiteOn as a burner even though the PX Engine 358 is installed (recognized as a CD-ROM instead).

In the final analysis, I still think that RecordNow Max may properly recognize and support your Plextor, as the Plextor 4012A was one of the last support updates included in PX Engine update 358. It might be worth a try if you're still interested. :)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:17 am

thanks for the detailed and informative reply, Inertia.

i want to use Sony CD Extreme for the long-filename capabilities. i understand that this is actually a capability of the Px Engine (and thus of all Prassi clones) - you've told me this before. i tried the Sony CD Extreme because it can be got off the net for free.

it works fine with my Plex 24x without the Px Engine update. but like you say, the Plex 40x is only recognized as a reader, not a burner. :cry:
and, also like you say, stuff ("these older products") don't work right - if i install a Px update it doesn't work at all! :cry: :x

too bad.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Inertia on Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:46 am

If you just want long filename capability, NTI CD Maker supports the Romeo specification, with up to 128 characters in Windows.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:13 am

yeah, CD Mate supports Romeo too.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:20 am

The free burnatonce front end to cdrdao/mkisofs shows support for 103-character long Joliet filenames. I haven't tried that feature yet personally. It seems like a nice tool. Why not give it a try?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:39 am

thanks for the tip! :D
i will.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:40 am

a few questions if i may.

is the 103 char limit for the complete path or just the filename?
is it is just the filename, is there a limit (103?) for each directory in the path?
is there a limit on the path depth?

does burnatonce require ASPI?
OK i presume the answer is YES since the burnatonce homepage contains an ASPI download. what version of ASPI is this? is it the same as the Force ASPI 4.60? build 1021?

OK, some anwers to my own questions:
burnatonce homepage wrote:Long Joliet and ISO9660:1999: As well as supporting 103 Joliet character filenames burnatonce now implements ISO9660:1999 which allows 207 characters for folder/filenames and removes the limit upon how many levels deep the folders are are allowed to be. The current mkisofs code allows all ASCII characters (including lowercase) but this may change in the future.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:53 am

dodecahedron wrote:is the 103 char limit for the complete path or just the filename?

Filename. The path is counted separately.

dodecahedron wrote:is it is just the filename, is there a limit (103?) for each directory in the path?

I'm not sure. Try it and see. But I do know that it also supports ISO 9660:1999 which expands the limits to 207 characters for both file names and directory names. It also allows you to relax ISO restrictions on characters, allowing you to use all characters for ISO names. Maybe this will solve your problem. How various OS's will handle 1999, I don't know.

dodecahedron wrote:is there a limit on the path depth?

The key to this would again be ISO 9660:1999. It has no folder level limit. Read this for the major changes included in 1999:

http://www.y-adagio.com/public/standard ... anex_b.htm

dodecahedron wrote:does burnatonce require ASPI?

Yes, but that's no problem. ForceASPI to the rescue!

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:54 am

Well if you are going to answer your own questions... :wink: (Which is actually what we like to see. There are plenty of resources out there. :D )

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:21 am

The link you posted to px engine 358 works.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:46 am

LiteOnGuy wrote:The link you posted to px engine 358 works.

thanks.
when i edited my post it didn't, maybe the site was down temporarily, and i thought maybe it's been cancelled altoghether.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:06 am

You're welcome. :)

You can download a document which shows which devices are supported at: http://eval.veritas.com/downloads/pro/px358.pdf.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:13 am

thanks, but no need since this is linked to in the Vertias page whose URL i provided in my first post.

anyway this is outdated now since there is a newer Px engine at http://support.sonic.com/Downloads/engine.asp
i posted this info in a separate thread... http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10538
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to General Software Questions