Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Upgrading to EZCD 6.Is it recommended?

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Upgrading to EZCD 6.Is it recommended?

Postby pranav81 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:05 am

Dear all,
hi.I have Roxio EZCD 5 Platinum with latest updates installed.I also use DirectCD.The question that I want to ask is that I have seen the latest EZCD 6 Platinum by Roxio.
The question is that,is the latest version so good that I should dump my EZCD 5 Plat. and buy the EZCD 6 Plat.?What do you all guys say?Waiting for lots of opinions.
Also as I have read on the Roxio site,is Drag To Disc equivalent to DirectCD?If it is,then will my DirectCD 5.X.X.X formatted discs work with it?Or shall I have to format with Drag to Disc again?
Waiting for some posts....
Thanks in advance.

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:22 am

I don't know much about ECDC6, but I'd say that it's best to stick with what you already have unless there is some particular new feature in the new version that you want.

IMHO, Nero 5.5 is better than ECDC anyway, and you could upgrade to that. :lol:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Thanks for the reply.

Postby pranav81 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:29 am

Thanks LiteOnGuy for the reply.I like the user interface of EZCD very much and find it very easy to use it.I have bought Nero too,but I use it only while creating video cd's and for overburning which Roxio EZCD does not allow :cry: .
So,I had little money handy and am thinking of upgrading,but wanted to take some seroius advice about the software.
Thanks,
see ya later.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:33 am

Well, the best advice I can give is to research the new ECDC and see if it has any new or improved features which you want. If it doesn't and your current software works, you can stick with what you have.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby pranav81 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:38 am

Dear LiteOnGuy,
I did see the reviews of the software on the Roxio site.None of my friends have this latest piece of software.And so I thought of asking my question on the best forums on the net.If somebody has used EZCD 6 and noticed any good difference from EZCD 5 then I will probably buy it.
Thanks,

Last edited by pranav81 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:44 am

OK. I am sorry I didn't know more; I am sure that someone else here has the software and can help.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Thanks LiteOnGuy for trying to help.

Postby pranav81 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:50 am

Dear LiteOnGuy,
thanks a lot for trying to help me out.I think someone on the site will help me to make up my decision,soon :D .
Thanks,
see ya later.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Re: Upgrading to EZCD 6.Is it recommended?

Postby Inertia on Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:46 pm

pranav81 wrote: The question is that,is the latest version so good that I should dump my EZCD 5 Plat. and buy the EZCD 6 Plat.?

In my opinion, no. There are a few new features like Ogg Vorbis support, but you can also get this for Nero without paying for an upgrade. The biggest disappointment is continued lack of overburning support. EZCD 6 has also added WinOnCD's disc spanning facility, but it doesn't work well in my opinion. I had three 400 MB files that I wanted to put on two discs, and the spanning utility defauted to burning the files on three discs?? :x So what's the point of the spanning utility? :-?

Also as I have read on the Roxio site,is Drag To Disc equivalent to DirectCD?If it is,then will my DirectCD 5.X.X.X formatted discs work with it?Or shall I have to format with Drag to Disc again?

Drag to Disc is DirectCD and works with DirectCD 5. No changes are necessary when Roxio changes the name, menu locations, and graphics of a program and nothing else. This is typical of Roxio, which is basically a marketing company and is out of touch with a major portion of the burner hobbyist community. There is a lot of hoopla and hot air about their latest release, but Roxio has been losing money and the reasons why are no mystery to me.

Overall, I consider the program a disappointment and not worth the upgrade price.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby burner1000000 on Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:57 pm

I agree with inertia. I did some beta testing on Easy CD 6 and found it had no advantages over EZCD 5.

If I were going to upgrade, I would wait to see what Nero 6 looks like.
burner1000000
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:39 pm

Long time no see, burner1000000. Welcome back! :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:58 am

yeah, haya there! :D good to see you again.

it's funny, just yesterday i was thinking of searching to see when your last post was!
thaks for saving me the trouble :lol: :lol: :lol:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Thanks a lot for the replies...

Postby pranav81 on Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:39 am

Dear all,
thanks a lot for the replies.So now I think it is better to invest the money somewhere else.I dont think I will buy Roxio EZCD 6 now,because as you all say I dont see any plus over EZCD 5 Plat. now at this moment.
By the way,does anybody know when Nero 6 is coming out?I think I will see how it is then go for it,if it is good. :lol:
Thanks a lot...
See ya guys later...

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby jmbrown12 on Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:07 pm

New features I have found and like in version 6 so far:

1. OGG support.
2. Disc spanning (works fine for me).
3. In Audio Central (replaced SoundStream) you can:
a. apply transitions that can be used during playback from the playlist or recorded to disc.
b. Select DAO.
c. Create a MP3 disc and drag and drop the tracks into the order you want and they will record in that order. :D
4. SVCD support.
5. Ability to open .cl4 and .cl5 layouts.

Roxio has indicated that support for 90 min discs and bin and cue files will be added in a future update.

I do not have a DVD recorder so can not speak for the DVD creation portion of the software.
jmbrown12
CD-RW Player

Postby banzibaby on Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:33 pm

Ahh 1 question

Can U install it on a PC with nero & InCD

Or do they still hate each other & conflict.The reason i ask is that im about 2 test the S/W at home & just want 2 save hassle in the future

The reason im testing it, the 1 thing i liked about DirectCD was the fact it worked with CDR's unlike InCD :)

On my box i have Nero, InCD, Alcohol all living peacefully & dont want 2 destroy the harmoney :D

Cheers

BaNzI :lol:
banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Postby Inertia on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:02 pm

banzibaby wrote:Can U install it on a PC with nero & InCD

Easy CD Creator and Nero can be installed with no problems but not DirectCD (or Drag to Disk) and InCD. You should uninstall InCD first if you want to use DirectCD (or Drag to Disk). Having more than one system level packet writing program installed will usually create conflicts.

I have seen both InCD and DirectCD working together in WinXP Pro, but it still is not a good idea. There is no advantage to having them both installed as they both do the same thing.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby banzibaby on Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:36 pm

Cheers Inertia

I prefer Nero, but just want 2 see what Roxio has 2 offer

Will uninstall InCd first

Just how easy is it 2 get rid of ECDC, i know that 2 remove version 5 completly, u nedd 2 remove some files manually & then edit the registry

Has Roxio fixed this yet?

BaNzI :lol:
banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Postby Inertia on Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:05 am

banzibaby wrote:...Just how easy is it 2 get rid of ECDC, i know that 2 remove version 5 completly, u nedd 2 remove some files manually & then edit the registry...

I wouldn't worry about it if you decide to uninstall it. A normal uninstall should be sufficient.

If you are paranoid or have problems you could use the total uninstall instructions at Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum will not install properly

If you are using WinXP, use the instructions at How to cleanly uninstall / reinstall Easy CD Creator 5 in Windows XP.

Although the instructions are for EZCD 5, the procedure should be practically identical for EZCD 6.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Scrondar on Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:37 pm

I have seen both InCD and DirectCD working together in WinXP Pro, but it still is not a good idea. There is no advantage to having them both installed as they both do the same thing.

Not quite. Packet writing in Nero requires the use of CD-RW media, whereas DirectCD lets you use CD-R media, which is less expensive and, in my experience, more reliable. Since I use DirectCD more than any other part of Roxio, there is for me no real choice here. I like Nero OK, but have always found Roxio to be more polished and easier to use (barring the overburn issue).
Scrondar
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:22 pm

I am well aware of that difference, Scrondar, as are most others that use DirectCD. I was referring to there being no essential difference in CD-RW packet writing. If you read theposts above in this thread, the reason that banzibaby wanted to use DirectCD was to packet write to CD-R.

My point was that he would be giving up nothing by not using InCD, since DirectCD does do the same thing that InCD does, and more.

Sorry for the imprecise wording of my statement. :roll:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:57 am

Somebody in this thread asked about availability of Nero 6.

Oficial release date is 18 July 2003, however, it is already being sold in stores in the USA and, perhaps, online.

Note that InCD 4.* still has the bug of changing dates when copying a file to a CD. I'm using Nero 5.5.10.42 and InCD 3.5.24.0.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio