Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Writing Problem

Burn baby burn!

Writing Problem

Postby mender on Thu May 08, 2003 11:06 pm

I have some old Philips CD-RW74 Proffessional cd's which were written with Adaptec CD Creator with a speed of 1X or 2X. Now I have a LG 8520b 52x24x52 CD Writer and I cannot write, erase or format these cd's. Is there a way or a software with which I can overcome this problem ?.
mender
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Thu May 08, 2003 11:40 pm

Your old CD-RW discs are probably rated for 2x maximum. CD-RW media have a different physical structure than CDR discs and have maximum speed limits pre-encoded on the disc.

The LG 8520b can write to CD-RW discs at a minimum speed of 4x. Therefore, your old discs are incompatible for rewriting with the LG drive, although they can still be read.

It isn't a software consideration, but a hardware limitation. Short of using an older CD-RW device which can rewrite at 2x, there is no way to reuse these discs.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Writing Problem

Postby mender on Fri May 09, 2003 12:43 am

Thanks for the bad news.
mender
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Fri May 09, 2003 1:21 am

You're welcome, but personally I wouldn't be concerned. The 2x discs are obsolete technology superceded by your current hardware and high speed CD-RW discs. Writing at 2x would take forever by today's standards.

CD-RW discs are a technology that has not fulfilled its promise. They are less reliable than CDR discs and much more expensive. CDR discs can be written at much higher speeds and can replace CD-RW for any purpose except rewriting. The relative low cost of CDR discs makes the lack of rewritability an insubstantial issue.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives