Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What happens if i don't finalize a cdr after writing it?

Burn baby burn!

What happens if i don't finalize a cdr after writing it?

Postby Harrier on Tue May 13, 2003 10:40 am

The question regards writing data (Using Nero).
As far as i understand, if i don't finalize a cdr i can continue writing it after the process itself.

What should i generally do?
What kind of influence does it have over the quality?
And is it different when writing Audio?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue May 13, 2003 10:49 am

If you don't finalize a data CD in Nero, you will be able to record more information to it. Finalizing makes it so that you can't record any more information to the disc (unless it's a CD-RW, in which case, you would have to erase the disc before writing again). The unfinalized disc may read somewhat more slowly than a finalized one, but I am not sure about this. I don't think whether or not you choose to finalize a disc will affect the quality.

Most audio CD players will only recognize the first recording session, but I am not sure what effect not finalizing would have on an audio CD.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Harrier on Tue May 13, 2003 10:52 am

I can't erase data from an non-finalized cd, can i?
how long (in seconds) approx. will it take to finalize the cdr?
And does finalizing it have anything to do with writing the Lead-Out of the cd?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Tue May 13, 2003 12:29 pm

Not finalizing a data CD,in my experience,might affect it's playback ability on a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM.
An audio CD should be burned DAO and finalized for best playback ability.
Last edited by burninfool on Tue May 13, 2003 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Harrier on Tue May 13, 2003 12:32 pm

I've burned Audio using TAO and it played very well.
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Postby kuser9 on Tue May 13, 2003 2:17 pm

You should always finalize CD, if the data written on the disc is important.

I used to write multisession with unfinalize CD using Nero. One day, I accidently choose 'start multisession disk' instead of choosing 'continue multisession disk'. After I burn it, I cannot read the previous writtten data on the disc.

The CDR price is not expensive right now. So if the data is important, you should finalize the CD.
kuser9
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Tue May 13, 2003 4:07 pm

Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Tue May 13, 2003 4:35 pm

kuser9 wrote:After I burn it, I cannot read the previous writtten data on the disc.

You can use Isobuster to read ANY session of a multisession cd, regardless which session your cd burning software will read/recognize. Then you can extract any of the sessions you wish to recover to your hard drive, then reburn it to a blank cdr and your back in business.
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Tue May 13, 2003 4:39 pm

Harrier wrote:I've burned Audio using TAO and it played very well.

On a regular cd player? Or on your computer? I find a there is a difference between what your computer's cd-rom will read and what standard cd players can read. This isn't always the case, but to be safe, general wisdom says that DAO finalized is your best bet for universal playback. Even so, it still will not work 100% of the time (sometimes problems exist with older cd players regardless of burning method).
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Tue May 13, 2003 5:01 pm

Harrier wrote:I can't erase data from an non-finalized cd, can i?

No you cannot, but not because the cd is not finalized. It's because you simply cannot erase data unless you are using a cdrw. You can, however, make the existing data hidden so that your operating system will not recognize it. Just treat the data cd as a "New Multisession" if you are dealing with Nero and it will write the new data without making the older data accessible.

In this case, whether done on purpose or mistakenly, you can use specialized apps like Isobuster to read all sessions written to a cd, extract the info you want, then reburn it to another cd.

how long (in seconds) approx. will it take to finalize the cdr?

Not long at all: 10 - 20 secs maybe. Do not let this be a factor in determining whether or not you will finalize a cd. Rather, use it when you are making an Audio CD in DAO, OR use it when you have written data to a cd and you do not intend to write any more data to the cd. This will ensure that the data is safeguarded should you mistakenly use it for another data burning session where you can make a "New Multisession" that will render the old data unrecognized. Fortunately, if this should happen, you can use Isobuter to read the cd and extract the older info that you want to keep.

And does finalizing it have anything to do with writing the Lead-Out of the cd?

I don't think so. A lead-out must be made in a mult-session cd in order to link the new data to the old so that all data will be recognized by your operating system. If I'm wrong on this somebody will correct me, but as far as I know, it has nothing to finalizing (unless you are actually finalizing maybe?)
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed May 14, 2003 1:12 am

Wedge Maniac wrote:A lead-out must be made in a mult-session cd in order to link the new data to the old so that all data will be recognized by your operating system. If I'm wrong on this somebody will correct me, but as far as I know, it has nothing to finalizing (unless you are actually finalizing maybe?)

I believe this is correct. I think that the lead-out performs the same function as the TOC would if you had burned in DAO.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Harrier on Wed May 14, 2003 8:49 am

Ok.
And on the same level ,what does the implementation of writing the Lead-In and the Lead-Out means (pragmatically)?
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives