Home News Reviews Forums Shop

MSI CR52-A2 burns at only 32x rather then 52...

Burn baby burn!

MSI CR52-A2 burns at only 32x rather then 52...

Postby cto_tyler_durden on Thu May 15, 2003 11:17 pm

Hey there, i'm having troubles burning with this thing, and honestly it's driving me up the wall :evil: . I go to burn a cd and it says ths max burn speed is only 32x for just a normal burn. I used 2 different programs the nero 5 and the roxio 5 platinum both says the same thing. When i go to check the device manager it says it's a 52x. any suggestions here. I have a 2.4 ghz p4 on a mcs motherboard and currently using windows xp. Please help, thanks a million.

Oh i tried 2 burners cuz i thought it was a defective burner, that was not the case, i also tried this on 2 other computers in the house, i recieve the same error and i tried 3 different brands of cd-r's
Tyler
cto_tyler_durden
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Fri May 16, 2003 12:56 am

Welcome to CDRLabs, Tyler! :D

Try different media. The drive probably has a feature where it will determine the maximum recording speed for which the media will work properly. It has determined that your media can only record at 32x. I would recommend trying Fuji 48x media if you live in the U.S.A.

Edit: I realize that you have tried three brands of CD-Rs, but it sounds like your drive doesn't like any of them. What brands and speed ratings were you using?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Fri May 16, 2003 1:18 am

cto_tyler_durden,

Your MSI burner is a new model and it not yet listed by Nero Supported Recorders or Roxio Supported Recorders.

This sometimes happens when a burner is released on the market, and software support lags the release. Normally, there should be software packaged with the burner which would support it.

Lack of official support may be causing the software to interpret the maximum burning speed at 32x. What burning software came with your MSI CR52-A2? I notice in the MSI CR52-A2 Specifications that the retail package includes a generic description of "Advanced Burning Software with Manual". :-?

It appears that your burner may be a rebadged Optorite CW5205. The Optorite model is supported by Nero, but not yet by Roxio. I would expect that support for the MSI variation will eventually follow.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Fri May 16, 2003 12:37 pm

This drive was reviewed by Ian recently and if you look at the Performance section under the Media Type Table you will see the writing speed performance of various media types.

This drive was not able to write to all media at 52x, and wrote at 40x or less on the majority of the tested media. In the worst case, it could only write 40x rated Memorex/Taiyo Yuden discs at 24x maximum. If you match your 32x maximum burn speed media experience with the results in this media speed table, you may find an answer to your question. Unfortunately, it may not be the answer that you are looking for. :cry:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives