Home News Reviews Forums Shop

No Help file in 5.5.10.28? And no NeroASPI??

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

No Help file in 5.5.10.28? And no NeroASPI??

Postby j_c_hallgren on Thu May 22, 2003 4:30 am

I D/L this vers (all 13,149KB) to try it...did I miss something or where is the Help file?
And I had to get NeroASPlen as separate file and install manually to get Nero Info to be "happy"....
Is this normal???
Quite new to this CD-RW stuff!
With my Micro-Solutions BackPack 232010 (LTR-48246S) unit...
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Thu May 22, 2003 4:46 am

yes, this is normal.
the helpfiles are always a separate download, Ahead calls is Language Pack.
the Neo Language Pack contains the help files for: Nero; Nero Express; Wave Editor; Cover Designer.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Thu May 22, 2003 5:05 am

as for the ASPI, well, i'm not sure what you mean by "NeroASPIen"
Nero uses it's own ASPI, the file is called wnaspi32.dll and it's located in the same folder as the Nero executalbe (C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero on my XP), but you don't need to download it spearately, it's part of the Nero installation. Nero can't work without it.

maybe your download of Nero 5.5.10.28 was bad, and the wnaspi32.dll file within it was damaged...?

you can download it separately if you wish from the Ahead download page (select Utilities in the drop-down menu). latest version is 2.0.1.59 .
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby j_c_hallgren on Thu May 22, 2003 9:19 am

Wouldn't it be nice if they made that fact about help files are separate more obvious?? :-?
Cause I sure didn't catch on that one!!
Their site, to me, implies that the program package is FULL and complete for selected language (English or German). I would ONLY look for a language pack IF I was using something like Swedish!

The NeroASPIen.exe is the English vers that has 3 modules in it...a readme.txt, Wnaspi32.dll, and NeroApix.vxd

I realized those modules were needed for Nero (via NeroASPI tab in Info), but was surpised that they were NOT installed as part of full Nero. Not sure what reason is.... :x
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Thu May 22, 2003 2:16 pm

It's common that starting users miss the help files, and Ahead should mention them on the "Program" download page.

As for the Nero CD Speed help file CDSpeed.chm, see this thread:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10439

As for ASPI, recall from our earlier exchanges

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5843#65843

that Nero doesn't need any additional ASPI, whereas the recent thread

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10927

gives yet another example that ASPI 4.60 tends to work better than 4.7x. Further, Nero InfoTool is installed by Nero. To sum up, both Nero and InfoTool should work with just the original 98SE ASPI layer, but if one has other reasons for upgrading ASPI, then one should stick to ASPI 4.60.

NeroASPI could be needed only if you used Nero InfoTool without installing Nero itself.

My own preferences should be clear by now: I would revert to the original 98SE ASPI, since nothing more is needed. The second best choice is ASPI 4.60. To this end, you should run instASPI.bat from ForceASPI after uninstalling NeroASPI. I'm not sure if NeroASPI can be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs; if not, just delete NeroApix.vxd from C:\Windows\System\IOSUBSYS, and then run instASPI.bat to replace Wnaspi32.dll.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby j_c_hallgren on Thu May 22, 2003 11:30 pm

:D It seems I have found what my system needed to be :)

I removed ALL traces of ASPI related files and registry entries, removed all of NERO, then used ForceASPI to put in 4.60 modules...ASPICHK said I'm OK! Reinstalled demo of Nero BUT it would NOT run!

Error msg wanted WINASPI from original W98 install...and then aborted...as there was NO Nero vers of Wnaspi32.dll Nero installed...so used NeroASPIen files to add it...now Nero at least starts up! And Nero Info now shows BOTH ASPI's as working!

So any ideas WHY, if it's needed, that wnaspi32 customized for Nero and the VXD related were NOT installed via the full install???

Because, on my PC, it MUST be there to run Nero!
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri May 23, 2003 1:53 am

j_c_hallgren wrote:The NeroASPIen.exe is the English vers that has 3 modules in it...a readme.txt, Wnaspi32.dll, and NeroApix.vxd

just out of curiousity, where exactly on Ahead's website did you download "NeroASPIen.exe" ? i'm not familiar with this.

the only ASPI i find on the site is the wnaspi32.dll file.

it's still not clear to me how Nero installs on your system without installing the wnaspi32.dll file in the Nero folder! :o
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby j_c_hallgren on Fri May 23, 2003 4:14 am

Sorry about that slight error in name of module! I got Nero overload on my typing....it's actually listed under utilities page as NEASPIEN.EXE but downloads as NeroASPIen.exe.

I HAD tried using only the WnASPI32.DLL but soon realized I was missing the required NeroAPIX.VXD and was likely NOT the best solution for my W98SE...
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri May 23, 2003 4:37 am

OK, sorry about that, didn't notice that the single-file download wnaspi32.dll is for NT/2K/XP, whereas the neaspien.exe is for 95/98/ME.

note that the wnaspi32.dll included in neaspien.exe is version 2.0.0.11, much older than the 2.0.1.59 version of wnaspi32.dll.
if you have any problems, you can try to update just the wnaspi32.dll file.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Fri May 23, 2003 1:28 pm

j_c_hallgren:

As for your original question, I don't think that your ASPI problems are normal.

I've just checked my 98SE laptop, with only the internal IDE DVD-ROM drive installed (i.e., with my external burner disconnected as in your typical configuration).

Recall that I only have the original 98SE ASPI, so that Nero InfoTool | ASPI | Nero ASPI says "ASPI is not installed". Still, I have no problems in calling up Nero itself, Nero CD Speed, Nero InfoTool, KProbe or MInfo.

In particular, the only Wnaspi32.dll on my HDD is the original 98SE file in C:\Windows\System (under 98SE, Nero doesn't install its Wnaspi32.dll in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero as in XP!).

Next, recall that in the recent thread

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10927

LiteOnGuy and banzibaby didn't have any problems with ASPI 4.60, in contrast with your report. Further, within the last six months, I've not seen any reports about users needing NeroASPI under 98x.

I guess NeroASPI is a remnant from the old days where programs coming with various devices (burners, scanners, etc.) tended to replace the original Win9x ASPI with their own ASPI layers, which were frequently either buggy or incompatible with other versions, and Ahead tried to fix the resulting problems for Nero by distributing NeroASPI.

Anyway, if your current configuration seems to be working, there is no need to change ASPI. Note that NeroASPI's version of Wnaspi32.dll calls NeroAPIX.vxd, so I'm not sure if it could be replaced by a newer version as suggested by dodecahedron, especially because the newer versions seem to be intended for NT/W2K/XP only.

I still feel that your ASPI problems could be due to some unique features of your system, such as Backpack drivers.
Last edited by KCK on Sat May 24, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby j_c_hallgren on Sat May 24, 2003 2:25 am

KCK:

You said
LiteOnGuy and banzibaby didn't have any problems with ASPI 4.60, in contrast with your report
...I don't recall saying I had problems with 4.60, (other than getting the right ones installed), just that Nero wanted its own modules to run.

And I still am wondering why full Nero install did NOT include those two modules...and just how could Backpack drivers affect that?

In any case, it was an adventure...a painful and time-consuming one!
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Sat May 24, 2003 11:17 pm

First, for the benefit of other users, let's clarify what installing NeroASPI means: the extracted file WNASPI32.DLL is copied to the folder where Nero is installed, and NEROAPIX.VXD is copied to the Windows\System\IOSUBSYS folder. Thus the system ASPI is not changed. Only Nero and related programs employ NeroASPI (instead of the system version of WNASPI32.DLL and APIX.VXD); similarly for other programs (e.g., EAC) if the NeroASPI version of WNASPI32.DLL is copied to their parent directories.

Apparently you have misunderstood my former comments, so let me reiterate.

Neither Nero itself nor Nero InfoTool need NeroASPI in at least two typical cases: my case of having just the original 98SE system ASPI, and the case where ASPI 4.60 is installed (as reported by LiteOnGuy and banzibaby). Further, I can't find any reports from users needing NeroASPI under 98x (except for yours).

Therefore, I'm not suprised that Nero's installation doesn't include WNASPI32.DLL and NEROAPIX.VXD. Surely many users of Nero are still running 98SE, so if these two files were really needed, Ahead would include them.

Now, you wrote that even with ASPI 4.60, you still needed NeroASPI. Thus one wonders why your case is different from those of LiteOnGuy and banzibaby. We don't know why your configuration is so special, except for Backpack drivers. To investigate whether Backpack drivers could be the culprits, you would have to uninstall them (together with NeroASPI). Well, since we don't know whether Backpack software uninstalls cleanly, to see whether NeroASPI is indeed needed by your drive you should make a clean installation of 98SE without Backpack software; alternatively you could connect your drive via USB to another 98SE box without loading Backpack software. If neither of these two options is viable, you could remove Backpack drivers and NeroASPI, connect your burner via USB, and check how Nero and InfoTool react in this configuration. To detect whether Backpack drivers uninstall cleanly, you could post the contents of your IOSUBSYS directory as indicated in S11.1 of the InCD guide

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9597
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby j_c_hallgren on Mon May 26, 2003 12:56 am

At this time, I am unable to take time to test impact of Backpack...maybe in a few days(?)...but in meantime, I am wondering IF the fact that I have NTI FileCD, etc. also installed might have impact.

BTW, the error I got from Nero was "The Win-ASPI file '?.?' cannot be found, therefore you can only select image recorders" "The missing file is one of the Windows 95/98/Me files. Please fix this problem and restart Nero"

I got this error UNTIL install of NeroASPI was done.
And as I recall, also both with just orig W98SE and Adaptec 4.60 plus orig installed.
j_c_hallgren
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Mon May 26, 2003 1:16 am

I used the term "Backpack drivers" generically to refer to all Backpack software which came with your drive. I don't know whether it includes NTI FileCD or other programs, but in principle any burning software which you had installed prior to Nero could be responsible for the strange complaints about ASPI which you got from Nero.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)