Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Sigh.. Car Accident

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Sigh.. Car Accident

Postby MonteLDS on Thu May 22, 2003 10:53 am

So ya i got in car accident on wednesday night comming home from my date with Jen. Thank goodness Jen was not with me I would of been really if anything bad happen to her! Anyways here are some pictures
http://66.236.51.227/car/

if you have been in an accident do tell about what happen to your car what insurance did and so forth. I am sure their are a few stories to tell..
[/u]
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu May 22, 2003 11:14 am

All that matters is that you guys are alright. I saw a Metro convertible get rear ended by a Camry once. The whole rear of the car was pushed up to where the back seat (does it have a back seat?) started. The Camry wasn't even going that fast.

I haven't been in any bad accidents (knock on wood). An old lady turned into a parking lot and went a little too wide and scratched the crap out of my car once. Thats the worst thats happened in awhile.

Oh yeah, some kid pulled out into the road and hit me a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to my lightning quick reflexes, I swerved and the only things that touched were his license plate and my tire. I was very lucky.. no wait, he was lucky. It would have been his fault.. and I would have had to educate him on how to drive with my foot.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Thu May 22, 2003 11:44 am

Monte must be well enough to take photos after the accident happened. :) It's good that the car took the brunt of the damage and not you, Monte.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Thu May 22, 2003 11:48 am

it is all good. the one picture that is acttually named is from my last accident where a deer ran into me! and the damage is less then what it was this one. if u notice how the hood is busted up in that picture. this time my hood is in PERFECT conndition, just that blinker and that left whatever.
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Thu May 22, 2003 1:25 pm

Well the first thing they are going to say is a Metro is a POS and they can get one in the paper for 500 bucks or something. Airbags are very spendy to replace so that might hurt you a bit. Luckily the headlight appears to be OK so theres 300 bucks worht of parts not needed.
We had a nice little 87 Hyundai 2 door automatic with a sunroof that got the side taken off. The car was in real good shape, just had the engine and struts rebuilt about 20k before and had everything you could get on one of those except air. They tried to give us 750 and said hey it's a hyundai, I can buy the same car for 350. I asked him if it had a rebuilt engine, 2 doors, a sunroof, the alloy wheels etc, he say's I don't know, I said then we aren't talking about the exact same car. It was my Mom's car before and she bought it new so it was maintaned and kept fairly nice. After going around for a month finally got 1k for it simply becuase we didn't have any more time to dick with him with out a car to get to work in.
Hopefully they wont just total it and make you go through the BS we did.
If they do get as much as possible then buy it back, it also helps to have physicaly the car in your driveway and not their tow yard. you can fix most of it yourself or have it done with the settlement. The last thing the adjuster said was options on a used car wear out and dont add value, ?!?!
I guess that means if you could get your Geo as a convertible, automatic with all the goodies or a 4 door 5 speed with peddles you'll just get the 4 door, they're all worth the same?!
Might help to get a apraiser out also to get a decent value out of it, you might even be able to get a lose of value because now it's never going to be perfect again or whatever.
We finally got a Lawyer after this because we are lucky to both be alive after the MASSIVE hit that car took, then they mess with us on the value after they're lucky thay aren't paying huge medical bills or a death payout to our family.
It took 1700 buck to replace it with as good of or slightly better car so so far we're in the hole on this, no real settlement coming yet on the lawyer side.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu May 22, 2003 2:00 pm

Wow. Glad you're okay!

I've been in a couple of accidents, but they were in rental vehicles. Fortunately I was on business and the rental car company took care of all the hassles, as I was not at fault.

I hope you get this taken care of quickly.

By the way, the photos are really good. What digital camera do you use?
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Thu May 22, 2003 4:24 pm

"... and that left whatever."
lol Fender :wink:

Glad you're ok 8)
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Thu May 22, 2003 4:39 pm

UALOneKPlus wrote:Wow. Glad you're okay!

I've been in a couple of accidents, but they were in rental vehicles. Fortunately I was on business and the rental car company took care of all the hassles, as I was not at fault.

I hope you get this taken care of quickly.

By the way, the photos are really good. What digital camera do you use?

Olympus C-960 ZOOM

it isn't so much the camera, as much as it is the person taken the pictures. this camera isn't the greatest, acttually its just higher then basic IMHO. but i can work with it
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 22, 2003 8:14 pm

I'm glad you're OK, too. I remember when I nearly got in an accident a few months ago (it wasn't my fault); I was really shaken up. I can't imagine what it must be like to actually be in an accident, no matter who was at fault.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Action Jackson on Thu May 22, 2003 11:23 pm

Well at least you're okay. That's the most important part.

Here's what I've gone through.

- 88 Dodge Shadow Turbo - I went through an intersection, some guy decides to turn and wham, his Citation and my car are a total write off.

- 88 Chevy Beretta - biggest POS I've driven. Replacement for the Shadow. I drive through an intersection with a 2 way stop [no signs for me] and some guy in a Dodge Dynasty decides that I have a stop sign so he goes. T Bone. Hardly any damage to my car.

- 94 Honda Civic - I was stopped, and a Cadillac STS slammed me from behind. $2000 CDN of parts, $3000 in labor. They did a pretty good job. Funny thing is that the Northstar engine is supposed to be able to run without coolant for 50 miles, yet his car didn't even start.

- Mazda 323 hatch - the rental when the Civic was in the shop. Exactly 1 week later, some idiot hits me from behind coming out of a shopping plaze while I was stopped.

Now I'm driving my new P5 for less than a month now and so far, nothing yet.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 22, 2003 11:31 pm

Action Jackson wrote:Well at least you're okay. That's the most important part.

Here's what I've gone through.

- 88 Dodge Shadow Turbo - I went through an intersection, some guy decides to turn and wham, his Citation and my car are a total write off.

- 88 Chevy Beretta - biggest POS I've driven. Replacement for the Shadow. I drive through an intersection with a 2 way stop [no signs for me] and some guy in a Dodge Dynasty decides that I have a stop sign so he goes. T Bone. Hardly any damage to my car.

- 94 Honda Civic - I was stopped, and a Cadillac STS slammed me from behind. $2000 CDN of parts, $3000 in labor. They did a pretty good job. Funny thing is that the Northstar engine is supposed to be able to run without coolant for 50 miles, yet his car didn't even start.

- Mazda 323 hatch - the rental when the Civic was in the shop. Exactly 1 week later, some idiot hits me from behind coming out of a shopping plaze while I was stopped.

Now I'm driving my new P5 for less than a month now and so far, nothing yet.

:o
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby ChrisX on Fri May 23, 2003 6:47 pm

My panel van was hit by someone who accidently slipped the brakes and he smashed into behind my vehicle, this was 2 and a half years ago. His vehicle was going something like a pace in walking.

My panel van suffered only a minor damage, the bumper bar and the left tail light was smashed. I started the repairs immediately with a new tail light and the bar replaced within a week without any costs to me.

The other driver was much worse as his vehicle a sedan was badly damaged and his insurance have to pay the costs of repairs including for me. Incredible at a tiny speed the damage was great with his car as so badly smashed on the front.

The panel van did have a very strong body to withstand accidents like this above. This is one advantage old cars have and the manufacturers of today isn't the same with individual protection of injury in accidents.

A bigger vehicle is a better protection for you in an accident as well, such as in a small sedan. As we all know, speed is another factor to consider.

I wasn't so lucky 23 years ago, my "Nissan" sedan was written off in a smash into a wall of a building and I was hurt. The impact of the accident was so great that I couldn't control the car and smashed.

I was lucky in a way in this accident, I survived. I could have been killed and I was without a seat belt. Silly me then. I don't remember whether wearing a seat belt was law then. It is now a must and no cell phone talking while driving either. Laws are tough now with big fines and in some cases goal.
ChrisX
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Sat May 24, 2003 1:12 am

I can attest to the fact that my seatbelts have saved my life.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sat May 24, 2003 1:43 am

Chriscjgs wrote:I don't remember whether wearing a seat belt was law then. It is now a must and no cell phone talking while driving either.

is talking on the cellphone while driving illeagal in the US too?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby eliminator on Sat May 24, 2003 1:45 am

In some places, CA for one, I think ...
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat May 24, 2003 2:34 am

When me and my Sister were hit in the Hyundai the guy had passed out from a diabetic reaction and drifted into us from the oncoming lane. The drivers side of the car exploded with all the windows on that side blowing out and he tore off his front drivers side wheel on the side of the car. It pushed the side in 2 feet just behind the drivers seat and shoved the front wheel back 6 inches till it hit the inner fender and stopped. We were spun around into on coming traffic and almost hit by a van before we ended up against the other curb. The car was still running when we came to a halt.
She was bruised very badly and had little pocks all over her from the glass. I had a pieces in my hair, and one little puncture on my arm that barely bled. We both were wearing seatbelts. I ducked over down behind the dash when I saw it was going to be bad and she had just looked away to see if she could get over, NOPE!
I later sold the remians to a fellow who needed a good engine and trans for his sisters car for $200. It would still start and you could move it. He drove what was left onto a trailer and took it away.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby ChrisX on Sat May 24, 2003 3:35 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Chriscjgs wrote:I don't remember whether wearing a seat belt was law then. It is now a must and no cell phone talking while driving either.

is talking on the cellphone while driving illegal in the US too?

I'm not sure and I'm not updated with the laws of the US. This may depend on the state. I know in some places an active cell phone in NYC is illegal such as in the theater. So, next time in New York, I'll find out.

Even though talking on the cell phone while driving is illegal here in Australia, unfortunately a lot of people are still doing it.

Some people are addicted to the cell phone and they never got off it, just like the computer users. So, they still talk in their cars.

It is a dangerous practice, I've been told it distracts driving and risking lives. I've seen ads on this issue telling the driver to get off the road to discuss. Public awareness just doesn't always help.
Last edited by ChrisX on Sat May 24, 2003 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisX
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Sat May 24, 2003 10:08 am

There's other distractions during driving that shouldn't go on too:

-women putting on makeup
-people eating [I'm guilty of that]
-the ever present cell phone
-watching TV [seriously]
-personal grooming
-just being an all around nOOb and not paying attention
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Mon May 26, 2003 3:54 pm

MonteLDS:
That looks like a slow speed collision (under 25mph). Were you turning left by any chance? I saw cars worse than that in Michigan & Florida last fall. Cars actually had fenders & bumpers held on clothes hangers bent into shape.

Action Jackson wrote:There's other distractions during driving that shouldn't go on too:

-women putting on makeup
-people eating [I'm guilty of that]
-the ever present cell phone
-watching TV [seriously]
-personal grooming
-just being an all around nOOb and not paying attention

All are too frequent in and around Toronto...move West, Jackson. I won't even drive in TO anymore. I drive to Yorkdale Mall and get the subway.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Thu May 29, 2003 12:37 am

Spazmogen wrote:All are too frequent in and around Toronto...move West, Jackson. I won't even drive in TO anymore. I drive to Yorkdale Mall and get the subway.

The West end has all those big accidents like truck rollovers and such :o

I actually like the East end b/c it's closest to some of the best roads to drive on.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden