Home News Reviews Forums Shop

multiple files / no file extension on image / burning it

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

multiple files / no file extension on image / burning it

Postby chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 6:44 pm

I wonder - does anyone have the problems I'm having (described below - read the thorough description of my actions which I took a long time to create (and I type fast without lookin) and reply please)?

When I opened the directory in which the files were downloaded to, I saw that they were both *.tar files, and I thought this to be odd, as I am used to the normal *.bin extension. So I clicked on one and up came WinZip and did the extraction. I went to the folder I extracted the files into two seperate folders (one for each cd) and saw that they all had extensions in numerical order, from *.001 to *.054 on the 1st CD and *.001 to *.050. This was new to me, and after attempting to open one of them, the wonderfully helpful Windows XP (which my PC runs) asked whether I wanted to either 'Use the Web service to help find an appropriate program' or 'Select a program from the list'. Technology these days eh? I thought it blatantly obvious that I should choose the Web to help me, which it did (thankyou god). It basically said that a nifty lil prog called HJ Join could help me. I downloaded the small prog and stuck it in the same directory as my vice city files, as it sed in the readme of the prog, and ran it. It was a file joiner, so it would be apparent that it joined the files, and it did. By the end of the joinin process I had two files all more than 700 megs (764 megs for the first CD and 714 for the second) and, and so shocked by this, I glanced at my CD rack next to my PC and stared at the CD-R boxes which clearly said 700megs/80Mins. "Oh No!" I thought, "How am I going to burn these files to CD when they are more than what they could take?" The answer was obvious, as I'd previously done a little nerdy search around some forums like this one and discovered I could 'overburn'. "That's sorted..." I thought.

So I got over that problem, and was happy, but only for about thirty seconds of sitting back in self-admiration, because I resumed my playing-on-computer stance in my chair, and clicked on the still-open directory which the two recently-joined together 700meg+ files were in. I became still, silent, and gobsmacked as I discovered the files didn't have file extensions on their names. No *.bin, no *.iso, no nothing. Inside my head, I heard nothing but the shriek of a terrified female, so terrified that she was ready to pee in her knickers! "Oh no!," I thought - "What shall I do?! There's no *.NFO or readme! No help!"

So I created two *.CUE files, as ya do, and experimented a little. I entered the name of CD1, 'FLT-VCA' into the place in the cue file where the image name goes and saved it. I burned it, with overburn on, and DAO on. The burn process failed! More shock! I thought it OK though, because the would-be wasted CD was rewritable. So I edited the file and the cue file, so image was called FLT-VCA.BIN, but again this was to no avail.

So generally I have three questions and a small footnote beneath them:

a) Has anybody had these problems before with the particular iso in question (I can PM you what it is if you want to know) or any iso which has had no file extension and is my burning problem related to the file extension thing?

b) What can I do about them? Are the reasons I've identified the real reasons for the burn process not working?

c) What do I need to make sure about my Nero settings to make the CDs work, if one file is 714 megs and the other is 764 megs?

All help with this is highly appreciated, and I do certainly admire those who took the time to read through my detailed report and to help me. Anyone who's reply post is as long as mine should get a medal, hehe.
Please help me. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Last edited by chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dont overstay your welcome or else there'll be no welcome to be overstayed
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Postby black~cobra on Sat May 24, 2003 6:55 pm

Hi, i dont think that anybody is going to reply to your question because that is an ISO of a game you downloaded illegally, so go out and buy the damn game.

Thing like that will get you banned in this forum

www.cdrlabs.com is not responsable for any illegal activity on his website....
Complete newbie to this stuff
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 6:58 pm

All due respect, but the whole majority of the cd burning community are burning mp3s and games and all sorts illegal, so I don't think you have a leg to stand on.

Oh and if I didn't mention Vice City, and FairLight, in theory I would not be doing anything apparently illegal. Can't you see that just the mere addition of those few words automatically make my post illegal?

Shall I edit my post for your taste, sir?
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 24, 2003 8:05 pm

Chippeh, your post appears to violate the Forum Rules, which you should have read before posting. :evil:

Rules wrote:Similarly, threads/replies encouraging and aiding in illegal/unethical action such as bootlegging of CDs, DVDs, games, use of cracks or key generators, and etc. are prohibited and will be locked or deleted without discussion.

Ian, please lock this thread.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

dont delete my thread

Postby chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 8:09 pm

Sorry I did read the rules. Can I edit it so that it isnt illegal-sounding?

Shall I minus the cracked Nero part, and all things pertainin to IRC, XDCC, warez, fairlight, etc?

Please let me reprase it because CDFreaks' silly registration wouldnt send me an activation link - and they let u say illegal stuff. PLEASE?
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Re: dont delete my thread

Postby black~cobra on Sat May 24, 2003 8:17 pm

chippeh wrote:Sorry I did read the rules. Can I edit it so that it isnt illegal-sounding?

Shall I minus the cracked Nero part, and all things pertainin to IRC, XDCC, warez, fairlight, etc?

Please let me reprase it because CDFreaks' silly registration wouldnt send me an activation link - and they let u say illegal stuff. PLEASE?

That's not true at all , cdrlabs.com and cdfreaks.com doesnt let you talk about illegal stuff. So, like i said go and buy the game ...
Complete newbie to this stuff
black~cobra
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 24, 2003 8:17 pm

I suppose you could edit your post (remove the links, especially), but what you're trying to do is still against the law. Beyond that, I really don't know what to say. :(
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 8:20 pm

Thanks very much - I'll edit them, and that way nobody need know what I'm doing is illegal, and we can just say it never happened.

I think you should check your forum for posts similar to mine because there are alot of people saying that they are backing up their CD's but its quite blantant that they aint - its a verbal shield - I suppose if I try and match their format of post to mine I'll be ok?
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Postby chippeh on Sat May 24, 2003 8:50 pm

cdfreaks DO let you post stuff like that I read it recently on a thread in this forum!
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 24, 2003 10:24 pm

Just buy the game; it can't be that expensive. :roll: It'll be legal, too! 8)

Besides, the time you'll waste trying to get the downloaded ISO to work is probably worth more than the actual cost of a boxed copy of the game.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Sun May 25, 2003 4:39 am

chippeh,

The original files that you unzipped probably contained files packed with RAR compression. RAR files don't have to have the RAR, R01, etc. file extensions, but can start with .001, 002, etc. instead.

If you had used WinRAR to unpack these files, it might have created the images you expected.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby chippeh on Sun May 25, 2003 6:57 am

LiteOnGuy - I dont have the money to buy the game because I'm just a kid, and I dont think its worth spending money on anything I can consume, expend or get bored of, except for food of course. We (My dad) pay a monthly £30 fee for our 1Mbps broadband connection, courtesy of England's leading broadband company, Telewest Communications, so I doubt that sitting on my computer for a day finding the answer to my problem is worth the actual cost of the game, because the connection is always on, and Vice City is around £35 - £40 in the shops, except for on Play.com, eBay, or CDWOW. 8)

Thankyou Inertia - I found it out last night :roll:

I just extracted the first volume, and it extracted all of them and the correct cuesheet.

I'll be more weary of what Windows XP tells me next time. I got through the overburning process easily, and the first CD apparently failed to burn, but all the files seemed present and correct because none were missing during installation of what was in the BINs onto my PC.

Very smooth :wink:
chippeh
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)