Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Cendyne 522452AU manufacturer?

Burn baby burn!

Cendyne 522452AU manufacturer?

Postby computation on Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:33 pm

Anybody knows who manufactured Cendyne 52x24x52x cd-rw drive in model 522452AU V1.20? Thanks. I know some of cendyne 52x drives are lite-on, some are benq. But this one seems to carry the firmware by Cendyne itself.
computation
Buffer Underrun

Postby jonliu on Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:56 pm

computation,

did you just purchased your drive today? I did, and mine is coming up with the same model under NERO and Device manager. The model number on the drive itself says CRW-5224A Does yours?

it could be an ASUS.

i'll let you know when i find out
jonliu
Buffer Underrun

Postby computation on Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:07 pm

Right I purchased today. According to their page:
http://cendyne.com/downloads/
it looks that only benq and lite-on make these drives for cendyne.
Edit: just saw that as my s/n is 10 digit, it should be asus. right?

Just tested the drive, not so good. Even worse than BTC drives.

I asked the guy in the store to check if they had lite-on. He was too lasy to do it. I should have insisted more. Now will try to call them to check the availability.
computation
Buffer Underrun

Postby jonliu on Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:49 pm

Hey,

Just wondering what do you mean Tested the drive and "not so good". Did you run tests? or just tried burning something?

I am using it right now, so far so good. Burned about 20 cd's this morning. Bought it at 10:30 a.m.
jonliu
Buffer Underrun

Postby computation on Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:05 pm

I mean when I burn the CDs. Sometimes it can really reach 48x max. But my lite-on clearly reaches 52x for the same situation. So far for the disks I have tested, it was slower than my lite-on. Also some bad smell came out from the drive when burning.

Well I think it's better than benq. I'll try to update the firmware to the newest.
computation
Buffer Underrun

Postby Dartman on Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:50 pm

The benQ drives are the ones that had a wierd hot plastic/electronics smell to them. I tried a 4816 that did that and it finally died so I took it back and got a Buslink/Liteon 48x.
Some people at that time had problems and others worked just fine even with the smell thing, they were kinda dodgy then but they should have improved by now.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby jonliu on Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:18 pm

HA guess what. Well i decided to go back to officemax to pick up another spindle of imation cdrs. This time i went to a different officemax, low and behold there was one Cendyne Burner left with the LTR lable on it. I noticed that this one was boxed differently from the asus model i purchased earlier in the day. It was shrinkwrapped vs. the asus one sealed with packaging stickers.

Well i ended up buying it....hopefully office max will not be assholes about taking back the asus drive. We'll see....burned a bunched of cd's with the asus drive already.

all this trouble i guess i fell into the LITE ON Bandwagon hype.

I do notice a speed difference witht he different media i used on both drives. The liteon with the slight advantage.
jonliu
Buffer Underrun

Postby CignaXI on Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:19 am

Read the back side of your sales receipt:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you aren't satisfied with your purchase, simply return it in the complete and original packaging with your orginal sales receipt within 30 days of the date of purchase. We will gladly replace or repair the item, or refund your money. Electronic items, Digital Cameras. Computers, PDA's and Business Machines must be returned within 14 days of purchase.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's why I like so much OfficeMax. I have used this policy several times with no problem; they refund, exchange or repair anything with your sales receipt ( with exeption of somethings like software and media ).
Still burning with my LTR-16101B.
CignaXI
CD-RW Player

Postby jonliu on Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:46 pm

CignaXI,

yup you were right, they took it back. However, they did open the thing up and matched the drive witht he serial number on the box. That has to be the first time someone actually opened the box and checked my item.

Now to figure what to do with the Micro Advantage Burner i shouldn't have ordered. Any takers?

i bought it for 49.99 ...it's going to be 9.99 after rebate. I don't need two drives, so i need to get rid of it.

thanks
jonliu
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:51 am

I too have noticed that OfficeMax is great about accepting returns. One time, I returned a defective burner several months after it was purchased, and, after the new burner (same model) proved defective, too, they actually refunded it with an OfficeMax gift card. Wow.

jonliu: A few suggestions on what to do with your unneeded drive: 1) Sell it on a web auction site or at the Buy and Sell forum here. 2) Give it to someone as a gift.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby UALOneKPlus on Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:14 pm

So your ASUS didn't work out so well? I read on the web that the ASUS was rated well for its speed, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Glad you got a Lite-On though. I still love my 12X10X32 Lite-On!!

OfficeMax is really good about returns, same with Best Buy. They both will take back opened CDRW's. I ALWAYS try to keep the box and contents in mint shape, that way there's no problem during return.

I'd gift the MicroAdvantage drive if I were you...

jonliu wrote:HA guess what. Well i decided to go back to officemax to pick up another spindle of imation cdrs. This time i went to a different officemax, low and behold there was one Cendyne Burner left with the LTR lable on it. I noticed that this one was boxed differently from the asus model i purchased earlier in the day. It was shrinkwrapped vs. the asus one sealed with packaging stickers.

Well i ended up buying it....hopefully office max will not be assholes about taking back the asus drive. We'll see....burned a bunched of cd's with the asus drive already.

all this trouble i guess i fell into the LITE ON Bandwagon hype.

I do notice a speed difference witht he different media i used on both drives. The liteon with the slight advantage.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby jonliu on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:36 am

well the micro advantage came today. There was acually a ups sticker on there. Free shipping back to them!

i think i will be going that route.

BTW it's a 52CDRW - B13 drive.
jonliu
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:41 am

UALOneKPlus wrote:Glad you got a Lite-On though. I still love my 12X10X32 Lite-On!!

Seconded. I still like my LTR-12101B, even though it doesn't get used as much as my 32x and 48x drives. What 12x Lite-On do you have, UALOneKPlus?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:03 am

LiteOnGuy wrote:
UALOneKPlus wrote:Glad you got a Lite-On though. I still love my 12X10X32 Lite-On!!

Seconded. I still like my LTR-12101B, even though it doesn't get used as much as my 32x and 48x drives. What 12x Lite-On do you have, UALOneKPlus?

I'm not sure. It was a Cenyne branded CostCo brand that I bought a couple of years ago. I'm away from home right now, but as soon as I get home I'll be able to tell you :)
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:26 am

OK. Thanks! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:46 pm

LiteOnGuy wrote:

I checked and my Lite-On is the same LTR-12101B!

What firmware do you have? I have firmware LS31. I wasn't able to find any updated firmware on Lite-on's website...

I'll probably be using this CDRW drive until it dies :D
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:08 pm

I updated to LS3J. You can download it from the Lite-On web site.

There seem to be two versions of the LTR-12101B; those that use a firmware called LS2x and those using LS3x. The "x" stands for any number or letter. The firmware updater "LS3J23.EXE" will update LS3x to LS3J, and it will update LS2x to LS23.

I have also found (from trying it out) that LS2x firmware won't work on a drive that uses LS3x firmware.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives