Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Cannot make audio cd's copies - data copies OK

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Cannot make audio cd's copies - data copies OK

Postby randy on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:26 pm

Hi all,

Just joined this group and hope you can help me out.

Bought a Lite-On LTR 522246S and and Nero hangs when I try to make an audio cd copy. A data copy of a cd works fine. I just installed the writer into another system and installed Nero there and it works without a hitch ! I'm wondering if there is a problem with the CDROM drive I'm using in the other system?

Here's the details:

Windows 2000 Professional system ver5.0 sp1
Nero - 5.5.10.9 bundled, driver version 5.02183, driver date 11/14/99
CDROM - Matshita DVD Rom
CDWriter- LTR 522246S

If I try to use the Nero info tool it would hang as well. It sees both the drives OK but when it goes to check the media it goes bye-bye. On the second system that I installed Nero and the writer into ( 2000 Server) it works fine.

Any advice or more info required ?

Thanks,

Randy
randy
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:00 pm

In principle, you should be able to make a direct CD/DVD-ROM to CD-RW or "on-the-fly" copies of CD-As. However, it is much more reliable to read the CD-A onto the hard drive as a true (best) image or a virtual (better than direct) image and then burn the image out as a two step process.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:25 am

Have you tried reading the audio disc with the LTR-52246S like Slim suggested? It is possible that your DVD-ROM isn't good at extracting audio.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby randy on Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:51 am

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. I can read audio cd's fine with the new burner. I thought it might have something to do the Matsushita DVD/ROM drive so I brought it into work to test in the Windows 2000 Server box that I tested the burner in yesterday. Tests worked fine. So, my new Lite-on CDRW drive and my Matsushita DVDROM work fine in a different machine.

On my home machine I'm running Windows 2000 Professional with sp1.

Time for a reload, I suppose ?

Thanks again for your suggestions.
randy
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:47 pm

randy,

Sometimes these kinds of problems can be caused by missing or incorrect ASPI drivers.

Make sure that the ASPI layer is properly installed. Go to cyrus-troy Downloads and download the ASPI Check and Force ASPI programs.

Run ASPI Check to see if the installation is properly installed and is version 4.60 (1021). If this is not the case, unzip (extract) ForceASPI, read the Index.htm file carefully, and run the program. ForceASPI will repair and properly install the v4.60 (1021) ASPI layer.

Reboot, run ASPI Check again, and if correct, try copying an audio disc from your DVD-ROM.

Also, make sure that DMA is enabled for both drives. See How to enable DMA in Windows 2000.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Re: Cannot make audio cd's copies - data copies OK

Postby nox on Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:46 pm

randy wrote:If I try to use the Nero info tool it would hang as well. It sees both the drives OK but when it goes to check the media it goes bye-bye.

Do you have something like Alcohol or CloneCD? They have options to hide media type that cause problems.

When and what is the error that Nero reports?
Do you copy on the fly? (don't do it)

Check ASPI as you've been told, and change DMA status.

Try another burning software, preferably Feurio.
nox
Buffer Underrun

Success ! ..but not sure why..

Postby randy on Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:16 pm

Finally got around to putting the CDROM and CDRW drive back into my home machine determined to get them working tonight....checked the ASPI drivers as suggested and expected a problem there....all were at ver4.60 and looked OK....checked to use DMA if available...already set....hmm...decided to try the Nero Info tool as it would not even do that before....that worked too.....try to burn an audio cd .....it worked fine !?

Maybe my machine is possessed ? Anyways, I just burned my first disc so I'm happy. :D :D :D

Thanks for all the replies.
randy
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:09 pm

I'm glad to hear it is working! Maybe the machine just needed to be rebooted (which I assume happened since you shut down the system to install the drives).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)