Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how do i find out who manufactured my drive

Burn baby burn!

how do i find out who manufactured my drive

Postby kilahchris on Thu May 29, 2003 4:46 am

how do i find out who manufactured my drive?
I have 40x verbatim drive? I know verbatim didnt manufacture this drive based on some hints and review??? but i dontknow which company did? Is there software or a program out there that can reveal this info to me?
kilahchris
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Thu May 29, 2003 6:33 am

Look at the drive model number either in Nero InfoTool, Windows Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, or in your computer's BIOS.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 29, 2003 10:07 am

Also, you could look at its faceplace and compare it with other drives. This isn't guaranteed to work, but it might give you a pretty good idea of what your drive is. I mention this because Verbatim has been known to use its own customized firmware on some of its drives, so the ID string won't always reflect what the drive really is.

Verbatims have been reported to be Lite-On or ASUS drives (or possibly others), so you could start by checking some of the reviews of Lite-On and ASUS drives here.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kilahchris on Thu May 29, 2003 9:54 pm

Look at the drive model number either in Nero InfoTool, Windows Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager, or in your computer's BIOS.

Im trying to find out the manufacturer not the name on the drive. Because many CDRW drives nowadays are repackaged drives taht verbatim and many other companies slap their names on ????

I have tried Nero INfo tool it doesnt reveal the serial number of the drive?
]The control panel device managerr reveal the number but which says Verbatim 401248AL but i want to know who manufactured the drives
kilahchris
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 29, 2003 10:05 pm

Here is a Lite-On drive:

Here is an ASUS drive:

Does your drive look like either of these (except for printing)?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby aviationwiz on Thu May 29, 2003 10:29 pm

Does your drive look like this Aopen?

I have a Verbatim 48x12x48 and it is an Aopen 48x12x50.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Thu May 29, 2003 11:58 pm

Good thought, aviationwiz! I had forgotten that Verbatim used AOpen drives, too.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kilahchris on Sat May 31, 2003 1:02 am

it looks almost identical to the Liteon picture..... however the red Verbatim logo is the center instead of the left

I want to believe its a liteon however i was reading an article that said many of verbatim and cendyne drives were made by a company called PGI? who is PGI?

when looking at the label on the top of my drive inside the case it reads verbatim vbt401248A it doesnt have any liteon model number on it. It only label that says Verbatim? are you guys familiar with PGI? (because i never heard of them)

However it looks almost identical to the Liteon drive picture you posted above??? and i do thin i updated the firmware a while back which and a description of the firmware on a site (i dont remember) said for verbatim/liteon drives?
kilahchris
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Sat May 31, 2003 1:33 am

OK. Your drive is a Lite-On. :D

BTW, PGI doesn't make drives, as far as I know. They just supply drives that they have bought (or something like that).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kilahchris on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:37 am

They just supply drives that they have bought (or something like that).

bought drives who has bought? Verbatim?

it seems like a long chain Liteon manufactures the drives and PGI goes through the trouble of marketing it??? what is Verbatim's purpose in other words what do they do???
kilahchris
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:24 am

As I understand it, PGI buys drives, and then PGI sells those drives to other vendors, like Verbatim. Verbatim then sells the drives to stores, who sell them to consumers. :-?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kilahchris on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:20 am

oh ok gotcha , pgi is just like a middleman ..
verbatim really doesnt have a contract with Liteon? PGI does right???
kilahchris
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:02 am

LiteOnGuy wrote:As I understand it, PGI buys drives, and then PGI sells those drives to other vendors, like Verbatim. Verbatim then sells the drives to stores, who sell them to consumers. :-?

PGI is a subsidiary of CenDyne that markets drives. They get them from a lot of different distributors.

As far as Verbatim goes, they've given PGI the right to sell drives under their name. It's an easy way for Verbatim to get drives out there.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives