Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which device is better for reading C1/C2 Errors?

Burn baby burn!

Which device is better for reading C1/C2 Errors?

Postby Hibiki04 on Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:57 am

Can anyone tell me which drive is better in reading C1/C2 errors on a burned CD? a DVD driver using CD Speed or the Lite-on 48x12x48 driver under CD Doctor? Ord does it matter?

Also, I been burning quite a fews CDs (TY 80min with firmware VSO8 I think it is) lately and for some reason, I'm getting a lot of C1 errors on these CDs. Any reason why this is occuring (other than defragging your HD) or did I buy a bad batch?

Thanks for your comments
Hibiki04
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:08 am

As I've understood it, the LiteOn dvd-roms (current) are not accurate in reportin C1/C2.

One of the most accurate tested CDRW drives for C2 testing is LTR-52246S (according to CDR-Info). No conclusive comparative results exist (AFAIK) for various LiteOn models though. The aforementioned 52x24x LiteOn with MediaTek 6 chipset should be a pretty safe bet though.

People are waiting also for the new LiteOn 52327S with the latest Mediatek chipset. There is no word yet whether this new model improves on c1/c2 testing or not.

As for the software, I think the comparative results of this forum is that KProbe is more accurate than CD Doctor (with their current incarnations) in reporting C1/C2 as KProbe skips ahead less with read problems than CD Doctor. As far as I have understood it correctly, this means that CD Doctor may not report all errors to the same degree of accuracy as KProbe does, if the disc is bad quality enough.

regards,
Halc
Halc
CD-RW Player

Re: Which device is better for reading C1/C2 Errors?

Postby Inertia on Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:51 pm

Hibiki04 wrote:Can anyone tell me which drive is better in reading C1/C2 errors on a burned CD? a DVD driver using CD Speed or the Lite-on 48x12x48 driver under CD Doctor? Ord does it matter?

As Halc has stated, DVD-ROM drives don't return C1 or C2 errors and would be unsuitable for this use. Error reporting and retrieval is normally the province of CD-RW burners. Therefore, you should use the 48X LiteOn for your tests. CD Speed doesn't return C1 errors, but indicates the presence of C2 errors in a sector or unreadable sectors. Either CD Doctor or KProbe are good programs for gathering information on C1/C2 errors with LiteOn drives, depending on your preference for details, options and GUI.

Also, I been burning quite a fews CDs (TY 80min with firmware VSO8 I think it is) lately and for some reason, I'm getting a lot of C1 errors on these CDs. Any reason why this is occuring (other than defragging your HD) or did I buy a bad batch?

All recorded discs have C1 errors. Stating that you are getting "a lot" of C1 errors is not specific enough to be useful. What is the quantified level of C1 errors you are getting and how does this compare to what you were experiencing previously? The comparisons should be with the same burner using the same test software. What is a typical average C1 error level as returned by CD Doctor?

C1 errors per se are usually not a problem as long as there are no C2 errors present.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives