Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How does this look please? Thanks

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

How does this look please? Thanks

Postby imtim83 on Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:32 am

http://members.cox.net/imtim2/newegg%20system%20specs_com.htm

Ok i am trying to build the cheapest computer i can but still with good stuff. Like best bang for the buck! No this computer is not for me. Someone else who is on a very old computer without usb even. So any little upgrade will be a big step for them. Heck that computer is a P1 133 mhz, older ram slots + ram, etc. Though they did get the computer free.
Ok now the things i haven't decided on at all yet is the case, heatsink/fan, mobo, etc. Heck maybe just about the whole thing. I just tired to put together what i thought would be a pretty good computer for a really cheap price. The only things didn't choose and just added to make a estimate of the total cost was the case and heatsink/fan. So i know i am going to change those for a fact. I will change other stuff too if something is better and has more bang for the buck out of it. For example a lot more upgrade room on the mobo maybe. Thats only if the mobo isn't to expersive sense this person just want a cheap new computer. The things we won't need are speakers, monitor, video card, and maybe not a sound card sense most mobos have it onboard. This person is going to be using the computer for internet, email, loading pictures from a digital camera onto the computer, photo editing a little, music, etc. Nothing real heavy on the system.

Any suggestions or recommendations on a part is welcome and very appreicated. If you want to build a computer and show me what you think is the best cheap computer too then thats cool also.

Just to let you know i am trying to make it $400 or less or even $300. Though i don't want to go really cheap on stuff. As in quality wise or best bang for the buck.

Thanks.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:12 pm

It's fine, but one big question: why are you buying a case with power supply and a separate power supply? Granted, the Antec P/S is better than whatever comes with the Foxconn case, but you are just wasting money buying two power supplies. Buy a case with 330/350-400 Watt power supply included and save some cash. Or, buy a plain case with no P/S and add the Antec. You can get a plain case for $20 or less. Speaking of which, if you really want to save money, shop around and buy parts from different vendors. You'll receive packages from all over the place instead of one package from Newegg, but hey, if it saves you $50, isn't it worth it?

You can get a Western Digital 80GB hard drive for less than $82, these people don't need the Special Edition, it sounds like the most intense thing their computer will do is edit personal photos. If you believe in rebates, you can get a rebadged Lite-ON 52/24/52 and Western Digital 80GB hard drive for much less than what you pay Newegg. BTW, how soon do these people need the new PC? If there is no rush, do it eBay. As I said above about buying from different vendors, eBay can be one source for vendors, Newegg is another vendor. The keys to finding deals on eBay are extensive searching and patience.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:17 am

http://anime-jennie.com/~blake/blah/newegg_com.htm

umm.. I picked the Enermax case with enermax 300watt PSU... seems like a better case to me. I also picked a retail CPU (lowest price was an AthlonXP 2000+ though). I picked the retail CPU because the volcano 5 is old and loud... wouldn't touch it myself... instead get a speeze for $7.00 if you don't want a retail CPU.

I also chose an Asus kt400 mobo with onboard LAN, sound and USB2.

Speeze WhisperRock III

Speeze Falcon Rock

Speeze MicroFlow II

All are great coolers with what should be pretty similar perfomance. I've had 3 of the whisperRocks and they're great. Quiet and good performance at a cheap price... use with a Zalman fanmate or other speed switch for cooling efficiency(noise vs temp) better than most coolers that cost $40+.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby BoGMan1a on Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:22 pm

How about a combo drive?!? If they are only going to get 1 drive, the Liteon 48x24x48x-16x combo is $59 oem, $14 more to get DVD functionality. :D
Main Computer:
ASUS A7N8X deluxe
AMD Athlon XP2500
1Gb PC3200
6600GT AGP
BENQ 1620
NEC 3500AG
Lite-on 52246S
Lite-on LTC-48161H
1 Tb of internal HDD space
750+ Gb external storage
Dual Boot Win2000Pro/XP Home
BoGMan1a
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:36 pm

Wow, that $381 price is looking pretty good.
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion