Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how do you burn downloaded movies to cd-r?

Burn baby burn!

how do you burn downloaded movies to cd-r?

Postby sk8er4556 on Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:22 pm

can you help me please
Are you a man or a mouse?
sk8er4556
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:16 pm

You don't, because it is illegal. Unless you call yourself hoxlund, in which case you get a free pass on discussing warez:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=11102

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:41 pm

Allow me to rephrase:

Guides for burning downloaded movies to CD and DVD may be found at the following sites:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com
http://www.doom9.org

In particular, here are some step by step guides for burning your downloaded mpg files to VCD and SVCD discs (two formats for storing movies on CDs):

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nero.htm
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/nerosvcd.htm
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/vcdeasyhowto.htm

Things may be a little more complex if your downloads were in AVI or some other format other than mpg, but you can also find guides for converting between the various formats on those sites. It is a somewhat complex subject, so be prepared to spend some time reading all about it.

Good luck burning your new movies, have fun, and enjoy the show! :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:14 pm

sk8er4556,

.AVI movie files in DivX format are burned just as any other data file, using ISO 9660 (data) format and disc-at-once settings. No special settings are necessary as for VCD or SVCD, but the DivX and (usually LAME MP3) audio codecs must be installed for proper playback.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:46 pm

cfitz i knew you still cared for me, and yes call me mr. pirate (garrrr)
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:20 am

hoxlund wrote:cfitz i knew you still cared for me, and yes call me mr. pirate (garrrr)

Arrgghh.. walk the plank matey!!!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby hoxlund on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:21 am

haha, thx for the humor ian
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:21 am

btw im lovin this crw-f1 external, the Disc T@2 is great and speeds are awesome
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:39 am

hoxlund wrote:cfitz i knew you still cared for me, and yes call me mr. pirate (garrrr)

Of course I do, hoxlund. 8) Actually, I miss having you around so much. Besides, I've had an epiphany. It is pointless to pretend that people are using their CD and DVD burners for legal purposes. We should just accept and embrace the true purpose of burners and sites like this: piracy. Perhaps Ian could open a new forum for you where you could posts links to your favorite warez sites so we could all take advantage and stretch our budgets. What do you think? It would be good to know sources for clean warez (free of viruses, etc.)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby hoxlund on Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:35 pm

hell i would deffently be top dawg for all your guys's questions

but ian probably wouldn't do that

and yes, you have to realize people don't buy dvd/cd burners for just data backup

in the back of their mind you know what there really thinking
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:23 am

So, if you did want to get backup images of stuff you already own, how do you go about making sure you get good quality? I hear about Kazza and such, but it seems to me you have no guarantee what you are getting over such networks. You might get software with viruses or trojans already loaded in, or poor quality dubs, etc. Do you have lists of trustworthy sites you work with, do you develop personal relationships with known sources, or do you just download what you can find, and then trust in your anti-virus software to make sure things are clean? It is kind of an interesting mix of both social and technical problems.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby hoxlund on Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:33 am

ohh man, it looks like we have a pirate n00b here (no offense)

i don't download from p2p stuff, well i can, if i want viruses though :)

i download from irc servers, and yes, from a good 4 year icq contact, he runs ftp server, we share

but other than that i backup software with clony xxl/clonecd

and dvd movies i backup with dvd decryptor (dvd rip), ifo edit to split movie (if needed), then just nero to burn it back to dvd-+r (courtesy of sony dru-510a
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:50 am

hoxlund wrote:i don't download from p2p stuff, well i can, if i want viruses though :)

I figured as much. That's why I said things like Kazaa seem like they could be a source of viruses.

hoxlund wrote:i download from irc servers, and yes, from a good 4 year icq contact, he runs ftp server, we share

From what I understand IRC is a bit of a black art in itself. I've read that there are no standard commands for listing or getting files from a particular source, let alone searching globally for a desired file. I've also read that the best sources of these types of files tend to be closed to the general public. You get in on a invitation-only basis.

I've also heard that even with IRC you need to be careful, because you can open yourself up to trojans or denial-of-service attacks if you don't know what you are doing or accept a file from an untrustworthy source.

I guess there really is an underground social aspect to this, complicated by the fact the man frowns on such activity. If you don't know the right people with the right keys, you don't get in. And those people with the good stuff don't want to let just anyone in, because they have to protect themselves as well. Which leads to the next question: how does a noob make first contact and begin establishing the trust relationship, and what are the best channels on which to start?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:39 am

cfitz wrote:Which leads to the next question: how does a noob make first contact and begin establishing the trust relationship, and what are the best channels on which to start?

I would guess that you would start by not using your real name on a public forum and asking for or taking advice from jailbait like hoxlund, and especially so when it is prohibited by the forum rules. 8)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:32 am

Inertia wrote:I would guess that you would start by not using your real name on a public forum and asking for or taking advice from jailbait like hoxlund, and especially so when it is prohibited by the forum rules. 8)

It's purely an academic question, of course. And the history shows that the rules are somewhat loose on this subject. We've had a number of threads here just within the last several weeks asking about burning downloaded materials, and none have been sanctioned, locked, or otherwise disciplined. For example, there is this thread, hoxlund's earlier thread to which I referred in my first post on this thread, and another thread from 10 days ago about burning a downloaded game iso/exe. You yourself replied to two of these threads, so you know of what I am speaking. And, after all, I'm only asking about how to get images to back up the software and media I already own. I wouldn't dream of doing anything illegal, and I'm sure no one else on this site would either. ;) 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:53 am

My biggest problem with using downloaded images of games and the like is that I never know how the image was made, or what drive it was done on. Being somewhat of an anal burner of CDs, I don't like those little questions. If it can be a 1:1 backup, you better believe it will be! (in my case)

(I in no way condone the downloading of images of software/games/music that you do not already own a copy of, with the exception of the downloading of music in Canada since we pay a levy on CD-Rs in the assumption that we will download music, and therefore we have already payed our dues and can download any music we bloody well feel like :wink: )
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:17 am

i download only deviance stuff, its a group that is only but trustworthy, as far as quality goes

and when i download i try to stick with bin/cue, then just convert them to clonecd images, then burn em

and for the irc thing, you can download from anywhere, just go to http://www.ircspy.com/

search for what you want, then just click the file #, which opens up irc and makes connection for you, then just ctrl v, then enter, thats it

the server i recommend is irc.addictz.net

then #datavault for the room

hell i can't even upload in irc, my router no lets

i upload to other people with ftp, thats it
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:25 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:My biggest problem with using downloaded images of games and the like is that I never know how the image was made, or what drive it was done on.

Tell me why it matters what drive an image was made from? It Doesn't! As long as it works, what is the problem.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby rodheb on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:52 pm

cfitz wrote:So, if you did want to get backup images of stuff you already own, how do you go about making sure you get good quality? I hear about Kazza and such, but it seems to me you have no guarantee what you are getting over such networks.
cfitz

Am I to assume that you do not use Usenet?
"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
-- unknown author
rodheb
Buffer Underrun

Postby rodheb on Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:55 pm

aviationwiz wrote:
Tell me why it matters what drive an image was made from? It Doesn't! As long as it works, what is the problem.

That's the whole point. IF it works. If you know a cd has copy protection on it that would require subchannel data to work properly, and you know the image was taken by a drive that does not support subchannel data, then you'd know before making a coaster that it wasn't going to work.

That's just one example, but it would seem that that's what you were looking for.
"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
-- unknown author
rodheb
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives