Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CD-R media: Must write speed match that of your drive?

Burn baby burn!

CD-R media: Must write speed match that of your drive?

Postby stingray on Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:10 pm

I have spent several hours on the Internet looking for an answer to this question without success.

How critical is it to ensure that the advertiseed write speed of the CD-R media matches that of your drive? Is there some leeway either way?

For example, I have a batch of verbatim 700MB CD-Rs with x 48 indicated on the package. However my CDRW drive has a max write speed of x24. The retailer (a large reputable UK company) assures me that these discs can be written at any speed up to x 48, but is that really the case?
stingray
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:32 pm

yeah, that is basically true. You can write them at any speed from 48x and down. If you had a 52x drive you might even be able to burn them at 52x even! However, generally speaking you want to burn newer media at 12x or faster, simply because the media is more optomised for faster speeds, and less errors will occur. The best quality burns are usually found at 12x or 16x.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives