Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Asus vs. Liteon

Burn baby burn!

Asus vs. Liteon

Postby Confused_Again on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:43 pm

I'm going to buy a burner and a DVD drive (seperate drives), I was wondering whether I should be getting the Asus's 52x24x52x or the Liteon's 52x24x52x? Also, I can't seem to decide on Liteon's and Asus's DVD 16x drives. I'm getting frustrated...please help me decide! May be a a list of disadvantages and advantages the drives may help.
BTW, I've already read the reviews on CDRlabs.
Again, thanks to those who helps.
Confused_Again
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:03 pm

I would go with the Lite-On Burner. Of course, if you can wait, you may wish to get the LTR-52327S which Ian will be writing a review of soon.

For the burner, I highly recomend the Plextor Premium, but I realize that that is not always an affordable option, that is my personal recomendation.

If you can't afford the Premium, get the Lite-On burner.

For the DVD Drive, I really can't say, while Lite-On is good, Asus may be better when it comes to the DVD Drive.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:08 pm

both Asus and LiteON burners are good, however the LiteON drive has better error correction capabilities then the ASUS, although the ASUS also has 100% C2 accuracy! They both support overburning to 99min and can play it back again. The LiteON has the benefit of K-Probe and CD Doctor testing software, but that may not matter to you.

check out the hardware review on the Asus 52x drive over at cdrinfo.com for more info on the ASUS drive, and look at 52x roundup number 1, so info on the LiteON 52x drive (well, ok, they are reviewing the Sony model, but that is a made from a LiteON anyways!)

as for DVD-ROMs...I know the LiteON 166s had INCREDIBLE compatibility with DVDs of ALL sorts (ok...not DVD-RAM). I don't know if the same is true for the Asus DVD-ROM drive though.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby rdgrimes on Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:14 pm

I have one of each. The ASUS burns slightly lower quality, and limits the max speed on much of the current media. But as a reader/ripper it's impressive, 52x DAE and more. The Asus does not allow you to test media though.
rdgrimes
CD-RW Player

Postby Confused_Again on Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:14 am

So, basically as a summary, Liteon burner has better error correction capabilities and its DVD drives have good compatibilities while ASUS burner produce lower quality and limit max speed.

ASUS, on the other hand, has higher RW speed and better DAE.

So should go for quality or speed?
As for DVD drive, are Liteons better than ASUS?
Confused_Again
Buffer Underrun

Postby maciejka13 on Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:08 am

Hi !

I've been owning 3 Lite-on burners (x24, x48 - 246S and 246K) i and DVD from them as well - never had a problem with those drives. All the drives I have are a bit noisy when speeding up. But it's true with the great media compatibility, both about the burners and DVD. Burners are reading everything, you can play in this drives even CD Audio with not computer playable sticker. I can tell they are testing lots of media at Liteon, 'cause drives are easily finding max media burning speed, which is usually higher then what you can read from the CD-R, especially with good quality media. If it's important for you check out if there is a firmware allowing an overburning test on the drive you are going to choose. Asus is known for best CD-ROMs but I haven't tried other types of drives.
So I can recommend Liteon Drives, but choice is yours.
Pozdrawiam, Maciek
maciejka13
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives