Home News Reviews Forums Shop

@Home SUCKS ASS!!

What was that?

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:40 pm

I could get better speeds through a tin and a string.. their DNS servers are up maybe 2 hours a freaking day..

aAARARARARARGGGHGHGH!!!!

I hate them!!!

(that a good enough rant?)
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby eFrisky on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:40 pm

You want one of those new satellite two-way systems, they sound nice and fast :smile:
eFrisky
Buffer Underrun

Postby burticus on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:46 pm

Here here. @home blows. Unfortunately I can't get DSL. Wah!
burticus
CD-RW Thug

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:52 pm

Don't even get me going on this.

I've had both ADSL (G-lite version) & @home. ADSL was better for always being online & stable, but cable has a better connection speed. Nearly 2x that of ADSL on download and 10X faster to upload.

Cable has been very shaky of late. I'm keeping a connection log for the past 2 weeks. My cable modem resets about 3x a day on average. Usually when I'm playing Team Fortress online. Some days its fine, others it's offline 5X.

I've had 2 techs out to look at it. Both have said it's the cable company's problem. Too much line noise on my upstream signals, they say. When it gets too high, the modem resets because it can't find the server.

Neither of them have bothered to fix the cable line to my house to end the problem.
ADSL's slow but steady connection is looking good again.

I changed to cable as it was $5.00 less per month and had twice the speed.

A no brainer ? That's what I thought too.

It's been a headache ever since I got hooked up.
Roger's @home sucks here in Canada. It uses the same @home networks as in the USA.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:59 pm

Maybe once @home dies the cable co's will go the path of separate ISP's, or even run their own, the out of sync thing on cable seems to be a frequent problem tho.

You have 10x faster upload on your cable than dsl? That seems almost backwards, I thought @home limited you to 128k upload, that would be less than 14.4k modem uploading on the dsl ! :/

I'm moving from 1mbit wireless to qwest 1mbit pro dsl, hope the bandwidth stays about the same for me :smile:
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Dec 31, 1969 9:59 pm

ADSL sucks.. I loved my SDSL when I had it.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby F1Pilot on Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:53 pm

I'm lucky here. I got ATT Broadband, and since I live in the ghetto, I get all of this bandwidth to myself. Muahaaahaaaa! Okay, my bandwidth ain't all that great, but it sure beats the hell out of the dialup I had. Dialup...*shudder*
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:18 pm

I Agree @Home sucks very much. The worse part is I can't get DSL in my area, even though my friend that lives less than a mile away gets DSL. :( So I'm stuck with @Home for awhile.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:05 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:I Agree @Home sucks very much. The worse part is I can't get DSL in my area, even though my friend that lives less than a mile away gets DSL. :( So I'm stuck with @Home for awhile.

??? :o

I would certainly imagine that your @Home service sucks, since they've been out of business for a year now. :-?

(I know, you are talking about the cable modem ISP who took over the @Home service in your area :wink: )

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:27 pm

cfitz wrote:I would certainly imagine that your @Home service sucks, since they've been out of business for a year now. :-?

(I know, you are talking about the cable modem ISP who took over the @Home service in your area :wink: )

You right about that. Adelphia has like a monolopy on the cable services in my area. I wish there was another cable company in my area to compete with Adelphia to help drive the prices down and to increase the quality of the cable ISP service.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:31 am

I thought @Home has been replaced by Comcast? Either way, Comcast didn't improve upon the service. I'm lucky to have Road Runner, compared to the hell stories I have heard about other cable providers, it makes me think that Road Runner isn't half bad.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:34 am

Around here @home was replaced by Charter Pipeline. I can't complain anymore. The service is pretty good now.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Kennyshin on Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:16 pm

To be broad enough to be called broadband now means at least 10 - 1000Mbps simultaneous upload and download. Most Home Internet lines are too slow for HDTV. But I can use some HDD space of my friends who use VDSL and Fiber (like LAN?)
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby imtim83 on Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:23 pm

Ian i had @Home but its not that @home really sucked because they really didn't. Well not most of the time but sometimes. But its not cox.net here and they can suck at times. The dns severs can get packet loss and high pings at times. Thats why not i am running my own dns sever on every computer that uses the connection through the router! It auto. adds all the ip addresses for the websites i go to. Over time it suppose to get faster going to websites. Well at least alittle. Plus like someone told me if the internet gets attacked again by hackers we should still beable to go on the internet sense we run our own dns sever and most sites we go to will already be in it. I do sometimes have some other problems with cox.net too rather than just dns sever issues. But i don't think i should be getting anymore dns sever issues sense i am running my own dns sever now.

I just wish i could move to get OOL cable modem isp sense they have 10 Mbps download (10,000 Kbps download) and 1 Mbps upload (1,000 Kbps upload) speed caps! Most people get 8 Mbps download ( 8,000 Kbps download) and 800 to 900 Kbps upload. OOL has such low low pings. I mean the pings are extremely low. Lower than a lot of dsl isps. Routing is really good. Not many hops to most websites ,etc. Its the ulimate dream high speed internet isp. Its not fake either. Its very real. All i have to do to get it is move.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:43 pm

Optimum Online does rock in terms of bandwidth, it's like having a T1 of upstream bandwidth for what? a tiny fraction of the price! I should convince my mom to get OOL at our home in Jersey, just so I have something better than dialup to use there. Although, I don't see this happening anytime soon, she hates Cablevision for some reason. For cable television service, they are awfully expensive.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby imtim83 on Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:45 pm

TheWizard yep thats the only bad side Cablevision cable tv is a lot :(
But heck i don't need tv mostly with OOL! Well maybe the basic or expanded pack but nothing else.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:30 pm

My ATT broadband has been fast and pretty stable for about 6 months.
It beats the DSL out here by a bunch, my friend has both and thats from him. It was pretty flakey there for a while but so far lately things have been good.
I think it must depend on where your at and what type of infrastucture they're trying to work with.
Now the tech support is totaly useless and don't even think about letting them install their software on your machine. All you need is a NIC card and the modem turned on by them and it should autodetect and be online after a reboot or so.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Return to Rants n' Raves