Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New Metallica CD

What was that?

New Metallica CD

Postby BillyG on Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:33 pm

A freind brought over the new Metallica CD "St. Anger" and my Lite-On drive had a hard time copying it to wav files - the transfer speed on EAC went up and down many times and the drive quit copying the last track.

Luckly my LG DVD drive worked fine copying the last track. What kind of copy protection did they use or did my friend get a defective or scruffed CD? The Audio CD comes in a sleeve in a Paper digipack, (while the DVD bonus disc is in a clear plastic holder) so Im thinking it got scruffed up in shipping. The last track play fine in my freinds CD changer.

BTW the album is the hardest thing they have done. no sweet ballads like "Nothing Else Matters" here - some tracks are really brutal. I dont know if I like the whole thing or not, its a grower. I plan to buy it when I get some extra cash since I've been a fan since the 80's.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Re: New Metallica CD

Postby BurninMan921 on Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:39 am

BillyG wrote:BTW the album is the hardest thing they have done.

OK, gotta disagree here!! Kill 'em All, And Justice for all were both heavier...and they don't sound like Korn. Kill 'em All was metal...after that one...I stopped listening. Want heavy? Try Slayer: God Hates Us All...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:35 am

another band to consider is Chevelle.
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:52 am

BurninMan921 wrote:
BillyG wrote:BTW the album is the hardest thing they have done.

OK, gotta disagree here!! Kill 'em All, And Justice for all were both heavier...and they don't sound like Korn. Kill 'em All was metal...after that one...I stopped listening. Want heavy? Try Slayer: God Hates Us All...

I have to agree with BurninMan921. St. Anger is probably the best thing they've done since the Justice album but its not really that heavy.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BillyG on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:26 pm

BurninMan921 wrote:OK, gotta disagree here!! Kill 'em All, And Justice for all were both heavier...and they don't sound like Korn. Kill 'em All was metal...after that one...I stopped listening. Want heavy? Try Slayer: God Hates Us All...

Yeah after listening to it a few more times I changed my mind about St. Anger being the hardest thing they have ever done - nothing here aproaches the first 4 albums. Kill 'Em All, Lightning, Puppets and The Black CD were my favorites - sometimes longer songs dont mean better songs.

The new songs arent that great (with some of the lamest lyrics James & Lars have ever wrote - not that they were lyrical geniuses to begin with) and theres none of Kirt's guitar solos to be found. In the old days they used different tempos and textures (acoustic guitars) in the long songs to create a dramatic effect - here they drone and clunk on with the same tempo and riffs for 4-8 minutes and bore you to death. Sucks!

It seems to me like they are trying to sound like modern "Nu-Metal" bands like Korn and Slipknot instead of classic 80's Metallica. It might please younger fans but if you check out the reviews on Amazon.com there are a lot of older fans unhappy with this new CD.
Last edited by BillyG on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:35 pm

I still like the 10 minute long songs they used to do. Can't do that if you want to get radio play though.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:36 pm

Despite what the band says, IMO, Metallica sold-out long ago.

I love old school Metallica, but after the Black Album, things started going downhill.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:22 pm

TheWizard wrote:I love old school Metallica, but after the Black Album, things started going downhill.

Amen. IMO, the Black album was a sellout too, but it still rocked.
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby BillyG on Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:08 am

Ian wrote:
TheWizard wrote:I love old school Metallica, but after the Black Album, things started going downhill.

Amen. IMO, the Black album was a sellout too, but it still rocked.

Yeah it had many great songs, but too much radio airplay killed the freshness of some of them.

The group used to advocate taping concerts and cassette trading in the 80's, but once they got a taste of mainstream success with the Black album, they got greedy. What really p-ssed me off was when they sued Napster and forced them to ban users that downloaded thier songs - and that led to more lawsuits and Napster being shut down for good.

I havent bought a new Metallica CD since then - everyone I have bought has been from a used CD store and might do the same again.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:25 pm

Have any of you seen the "Napster BAD!" Flash cartoons featuring James and Lars? HILARIOUS! Search for them, they are still around. If not, let me know and I'll upload the Flash cartoons to my web site.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:49 am

TheWizard wrote:Have any of you seen the "Napster BAD!" Flash cartoons featuring James and Lars? HILARIOUS! Search for them, they are still around. If not, let me know and I'll upload the Flash cartoons to my web site.

You can still watch them at http://www.campchaos.com
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:59 pm

Those are the ones, bless Camp Chaos for keeping them alive. If you haven't already, watch the toons now!
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:23 pm

Just found this:

http://beatallica.org

mirror:
http://powerpop.org/beatallica/

Classic Beatles songs - Done (pre-black album) Metallica Style!

1. Sgt. Hetfield's Motorbreath Pub Band
2. A Garage Dayz Nite
3. For Horsemen
4. No Remorseful Reply
5. The Thing That Should Not Let It Be
6. Everybody's Got A Ticket To Ride Except For Me And My Lightning
7. ...And Justice For All My Loving

I have no idea who they are, just two guys from the midwest who did this for fun and are distributing the songs free from their website. They dont care if you make CD-R's or share them on any P2P program.

The lead singer sounds EXACTLY like James! It's funny as hell and you can psych some old fans out with it. I liked this stuff a LOT better than I did St Anger. Enjoy and pass it around...
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:43 pm

I too lost all respect for Metallicrap after And Justice for All. They rocked before they thought they were bigger than God. Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets were great albums. The final straw for me was when that little b*tch Lars started whining about file sharing. It is because of greedy MF'ers like them (and greedy record execs) that it now costs someone $20 if they want to buy a cd. I'd better stop, that could be another topic. :evil:

The latest thing Metallicrap are doing just made me want to puke. According to the afternoon dj on 92.3 KRock (NY), Metallicrap are now suing some band in Canada because they are using the notes E & F in some sort of chord in some of their songs!! Now Lars' & James' egos have gotten so big, they think they invented musical notes!! :roll:

Anyway, bands like Metallicrap owe their whole careers to Iron Maiden (and Motorhead among others) for creating heavy metal and allowing bands like Metallicrap to follow in their footsteps. Unlike sellouts like Metallicrap, Maiden. Motorhead, etc. still sound like metal. BTW, I can't wait for the new Maiden album later this year.

P.S. Do you think I typed Metallicrap enough times? :lol: :lol:
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:54 pm

smartin4 wrote:The latest thing Metallicrap are doing just made me want to puke. According to the afternoon dj on 92.3 KRock (NY), Metallicrap are now suing some band in Canada because they are using the notes E & F in some sort of chord in some of their songs!! Now Lars' & James' egos have gotten so big, they think they invented musical notes!! :roll:

Hate to say it, but that lawsuit was a hoax and even faked out some news services. Check out this link for info:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/metallica.asp
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby smartin4 on Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:29 pm

You will have to pardon me for believing it. :oops:

Knowing their history and their enormous egos, it really didn't seem all that strange that they would do something like that.

P.S.-I still think they s**k
smartin4
CD-RW Player

Postby ChrisX on Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:01 pm

BillyG wrote:A freind brought over the new Metallica CD "St. Anger" and my Lite-On drive had a hard time copying it to wav files - the transfer speed on EAC went up and down many times and the drive quit copying the last track.

Luckly my LG DVD drive worked fine copying the last track. What kind of copy protection did they use or did my friend get a defective or scruffed CD? The Audio CD comes in a sleeve in a Paper digipack, (while the DVD bonus disc is in a clear plastic holder) so Im thinking it got scruffed up in shipping. The last track play fine in my freinds CD changer.

Your CD may or may not be defective or having copy protection. I wouldn't be using .wav files to copy music. I do find much better to copy the music as Mp3 into the hard drive and if you want to burn it into a CD-R from there.

Your problem with copying Metallica’s CD "St. Anger” rings a bell of my own experience with U2’s CD, “Zooropa”. For some reason I was unable to copy the CD in full and like you I thought copy protection as the culprit. This was years ago and my CD is now fine to copy. I now got a new computer and a different drive for the CD.

On copy protection, this may or may not be the case and the fault may lie with your DVD-ROM and the computer itself with the .wav file used. Like you, I thought copy protection, U2’s “Zooropa” was the only CD I couldn’t copy. Strangely enough, I never knew why.

These are factors on the causes; your computer may not have sufficient memory or capacity to copy the music. I don’t really know and this may have something to do with it. Your computer would need to temporally store the .wav files in the hard drive for CD burning and this I feel was responsible for a lot of errors and damaged CD-R disks for me. This was with an old Creator 4 application when .wav was the only option before Mp3.

Try changing to another application to see if any improvement on music copying. Are you using Nero or Creator 6?

I am using “Musicmatch” to copy the tracks as Mp3 into the hard drive and no problem at all. I use “Musicmatch” basic, as this is free.

Musicmatch web site: http://www.musicmatch.com/download/plus ... s=pc&BTD=1

I very rarely make duplicate CDs, as I prefer to listen to the music on the computer’s hard drive as Mp3.

Good luck to your music and enjoy Metallica.
ChrisX
Buffer Underrun

Return to Rants n' Raves