Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Dumbest Bug Ever in Nerovision Express 2

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Dumbest Bug Ever in Nerovision Express 2

Postby raydog1 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:17 pm

I just found a bug in NVE20022. It works perfectly until I enter my serial. Then, I get a burn error at the end of the transcoding process. I've tried this about a dozen times. As a demo, it trancodes and burns fine. But as soon as I put the serial in, an error every time.

I also went back to Nero 5.5 to test it. 5.5 works fine with or without the code. This is only in Nerovision 2. Nero 6 Burning ROM works perfectly with or without the code as does the Media Player, NeroMix, and the rest of the components.
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:07 pm

I can confirm the same behavior, having also seen it this evening.

I tried burning an SVCD to an nrg image file. As you describe, without a serial number it worked fine, but with a serial number it failed at the end of the transcoding process, stating "Burn process failed!"

I checked the temporary files folder, and it had two files in it that NeroVision Express had created for my project. They were named NVE25.tmp and NVE27.tmp. One was the transcoded mpg file for the menu, the other for the actual video clip. Both were transcoded successfully, and only needed to be assembled into the final disc image.

I'll have to check some more and see if this has anything to do with 5.5 and 6 interfereing with each other.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby raydog1 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:29 pm

I can't burn any video at all with the code entered. No DVD, VCD, SVCD, NADA. . . But audio/data cds work fine.
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Re: Dumbest Bug Ever in Nerovision Express 2

Postby skypx on Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:30 pm

raydog1 wrote:I just found a bug in NVE20022. It works perfectly until I enter my serial. Then, I get a burn error at the end of the transcoding process. I've tried this about a dozen times. As a demo, it trancodes and burns fine. But as soon as I put the serial in, an error every time.

I also went back to Nero 5.5 to test it. 5.5 works fine with or without the code. This is only in Nerovision 2. Nero 6 Burning ROM works perfectly with or without the code as does the Media Player, NeroMix, and the rest of the components.

I am also having problems with recode and the ultra edition serial. I have installed recode but there is no shorcut in the start menu, and if I try to run it from the ahead folder I get the following message.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but I get the same error.
Last edited by skypx on Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skypx
CD-RW Player

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:53 am

I just asked a friend to try burning video with and without the serial, and he's experiencing the same problem on a different PC.
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby CCampbell on Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:09 pm

Does this occur if you use Nero Clean Tool to clean the old version of Nero 6 from your system, then do a fresh install of Nero 6?

I have attempted to duplicate this on two systems and have not been able to duplicate this, yet. But I will continue testing. Sounds like I should be able to duplicate if I try on enough systems.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:51 pm

:roll: Yes, I used Nero Clean and the General Clean tools. I even tried just installing NVE2 alone. Same thing. . . Works fine as a demo, but when I register it, error after error after error.
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Problems with updated Nero 6

Postby sqlb on Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:39 pm

I bought the original Nero 6 retail release and it worked flawlessly until I applied the 6.00.09 update. Now I'm getting burn failures., unable to access recorder etc.. I uninstalled Nero 6 and reinstaled the original CD and all the problems went away. Looks to me the 6.00.09 update was not qa'd throughly enough. Juts my two cents.
sqlb
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:01 pm

sqlb wrote:I bought the original Nero 6 retail release and it worked flawlessly until I applied the 6.00.09 update.

Okay, now I think I understand what Craig meant by:

CCampbell wrote:Does this occur if you use Nero Clean Tool to clean the old version of Nero 6 from your system, then do a fresh install of Nero 6?

I was going to ask what old version of 6? Isn't 6.0.0.9 the only version of 6? But I had forgotten about the boxed retail kits that went out earlier.

Anyway, here is how it went for me on my initial installation. I had Nero 5.5 installed on a Windows 2000 machine. I uninstalled it, then manually removed traces of Ahead/Nero from the registry, and finally downloaded General-CleanTool_1135.zip and ran it.

Only after all this did I run nero6009.exe and install Nero 6 for the first time. After Burning-ROM was installed but before I did anything else, I entered the serial number for 6. Then I ran NeroMIX1404.exe and installed Nero Mix. Next I attempted to run NVE20022.exe to install NeroVision Express 2. The installation program informed me that I needed to update my version of DirectX before I could install Vision Express 2 and then halted the installation. To correct this problem I downloaded DirectX 9.0b, updated DirectX, rebooted, and then successfully installed NeroVision Express. I did not install InCD 4, and never had InCD 3 installed.

I checked the registry, and both HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ahead\NeroVision\Info\Serial6 and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Ahead\Nero - Burning Rom\Serial6 do contain the same, proper Nero 6 serial number. If I remove both these registry entries, NeroVision reverts to demo mode and I can burn my SVCD image successfully. I can then restore the registry entries, and the error returns.

Not having the benefit of sqlb's insight at the time, I next went ahead and uninstalled all the Nero 6 programs using their regular uninstallers, then ran General Clean Tool again to finish off the uninstall job. Then I rebooted and installed Burning ROM, Mix and Vision Express again, in that order. Unlike the first time, this time I didn't enter the serial numbers until after everything was installed. (By the way, doing it this way prevents Vision Express from automatically picking up the serial number from Burning ROM at the time of Vision Express' installation, so I had to enter the serial number manually. I couldn't find any way to do this through the Vision Express program, so I ended up editing the registry and adding the value directly. This wasn't a problem since I am used to messing with the registry and knew what the value should be named and where it should go, but this is a bit of a problem for the general public.)

The results? Same as the first time, just like raydog1's experience. Vision Express still works without the serial number, but fails with the serial number.

The SVCD itself is only a short 30-second .AVI video clip. I didn't select any fancy options. No chapters or anything - just a blue background and a word of text in the header on the single menu screen. And, as I noted before, the transcoding works fine, as evidenced by the files in the temp directory. Strangely, even though the transcoding completes successfully and the error message says "Burn process failed," the error is marked with a red "X" on the "Creating menus and transcoding streams" action.

The log file doesn't look like it contains anything interesting, but if you want I can supply you with whatever might be helpful in diagnosing this issue.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:26 pm

LOL cfitz, I've been doing some testing too.

I finally got access to a Win 2000 Pro machine at school to see if maybe this was a Win XP problem. This one had Nero 5.5 installed on it if that makes any difference. But, I uninstalled it, used the General Clean Tool to clean it all out, and rebooted. I installed Nerovision 2 alone (without Nero Burning Rom, NeroMix or any other module) and it had no problem making it through the transcoding and it asked for a cd to start the burning process. I canceled and exited the program. Then I restarted the program and put my serial # in and tried again. Same problem. As soon as the transcoding ends, I get the error. It also doesn't matter what type of "video" CD/DVD I try to create. It happens every time with every format.
Last edited by raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:30 pm

raydog1 wrote:LOL cfitz, I've been doing some testing too.

Yeah, I tested on another 2000 box as well, just to see if there was something particular to the first one I tried. Like you, I got the same results: without serial number = :D, with serial number = :cry:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:34 pm

An BTW, each of the machines is a Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM, large HD machines. 2 of them are Dells (Dimension and Optiplex) and the third is my friend's Sony. None of them are older than 3 months. I don't know why CCampbell is having such a hard time reproducing this, when we seem to have a hard time NOT reproducing this. :-?
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:54 pm

The first machine I installed on (which is just a test machine) is an older Dell Optiplex Pentium III, the second machine (which I intend to be the final destination for Nero 6 once all the bugs are worked out) is a generic dual-processor Pentium III.

raydog1 wrote:I don't know why CCampbell is having such a hard time reproducing this, when we seem to have a hard time NOT reproducing this. :-?

It is frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps it has something specific to do with our serial numbers.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby skypx on Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:54 pm

cfitz wrote:The first machine I installed on (which is just a test machine) is an older Dell Optiplex Pentium III, the second machine (which I intend to be the final destination for Nero 6 once all the bugs are worked out) is a generic dual-processor Pentium III.

raydog1 wrote:I don't know why CCampbell is having such a hard time reproducing this, when we seem to have a hard time NOT reproducing this. :-?

It is frustrating, isn't it? Perhaps it has something specific to do with our serial numbers.

cfitz

Very frustrating!!! This is what I get when trying to play a dvd in showtime.

skypx
CD-RW Player

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:13 pm

Maybe it's linked to the serial numbers causing Nero 6 to have "OEM" status. In the start menu, under programs, Nero is listed as OEM. They've been talking about this on the French Nero forums, but a Nero rep says that it shouldn't affect the functionality of the program and that it'll be fixed in the next update.

I guess my question is. . . Do they have to "reproduce" this on their machines before they consider it a problem? Or are they going to wait a few months until people who don't normally use Nerovision start to see this error, and THEN decide to work on a fix? :x
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby raydog1 on Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:23 pm

cfitz wrote:the second machine (which I intend to be the final destination for Nero 6 once all the bugs are worked out)

Yeah, I went back to v5.5 (a BRILLIANT piece of software BTW) for now. I really couldn't find any bugs after testing most of Nero 6's features over the weekend. Imagine the disappointment when I find that the thing that is supposed to make shareware more functional actually did the very opposite! :lol:

So I'll just hang with 5.5 until the next update or two. Hopefully, they'll have a handle on this by then and i'll be the happiest Nero fan on the planet--> :D
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:16 pm

skypx wrote:Very frustrating!!! This is what I get when trying to play a dvd in showtime.

I can't be certain, since I don't know the cause of my problem, but based on what you have shown in your pictures I think you are experiencing a different problem than the one raydog1 and I are fighting. I am not having any problems running Showtime or Recode. And although all of our problems seem to have at least something to do with serial numbers, yours seems to be more directly related to the serial number, because the error messages specifically refer to licensing and a bad installation.

I would suggest the same steps Craig suggested: uninstall, then use the CleanTool, reboot, and finally reinstall. I know you already tried this at least once, but did you use the CleanTool? Also, make sure to copy and paste the serial number from the email rather than typing it in.

Sorry I can't offer anything more substantial.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:22 pm

raydog1 wrote:Maybe it's linked to the serial numbers causing Nero 6 to have "OEM" status. In the start menu, under programs, Nero is listed as OEM. They've been talking about this on the French Nero forums, but a Nero rep says that it shouldn't affect the functionality of the program and that it'll be fixed in the next update.

I've seen the same thing (both the OEM label and the discussion at the French form along with the response from the Nero rep). I believe the rep's contention that this is just a bug and will be fixed.

Actually, I think it is just a simple labeling bug and not a functional bug. On my machine it only says OEM in the label on the program group folder in the start menu (where it used to say "Demo" before I entered the serial number). In the "About" box of the actual program, it simply says Version 6.0.0.9. If it really was an OEM serial number, then it would say Version OEM 6.0.0.9, and if it was a bundled serial number like my original one (horrors) it would say Version 6.0.0.9 bundled.

In addition, contrary to what some have posted, I do not see any loss of functionality. I can run Nero Recode and I can access the anti-virus feature with the 6 serial number.

raydog1 wrote:I guess my question is. . . Do they have to "reproduce" this on their machines before they consider it a problem? Or are they going to wait a few months until people who don't normally use Nerovision start to see this error, and THEN decide to work on a fix? :x

I think they already consider it a problem, otherwise Craig wouldn't be trying to reproduce it. But in order to address the problem efficiently, it really helps if they can reproduce it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:25 pm

raydog1 wrote:Yeah, I went back to v5.5 (a BRILLIANT piece of software BTW) for now. ... So I'll just hang with 5.5 until the next update or two. Hopefully, they'll have a handle on this by then and i'll be the happiest Nero fan on the planet--> :D

Yes, that sounds like my current plans. Version 5.5 has served me well, and 6 seems to be having some teething pains, so I will probably temporarily retire 6, continue using 5.5, and switch back to 6 after a few rounds of bug fixes have been released.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Spazmogen on Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:36 am

I can't get it to work either.

I reverted back to 5.5 and all is well again.

I was simply trying to burn the contents of a DVD that is on my HDD.

5.5 does it fine, but not the new version.

Looks like I'll stick with 5.5 for a while longer.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby skypx on Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:37 am

cfitz wrote:
skypx wrote:Very frustrating!!! This is what I get when trying to play a dvd in showtime.

I can't be certain, since I don't know the cause of my problem, but based on what you have shown in your pictures I think you are experiencing a different problem than the one raydog1 and I are fighting. I am not having any problems running Showtime or Recode. And although all of our problems seem to have at least something to do with serial numbers, yours seems to be more directly related to the serial number, because the error messages specifically refer to licensing and a bad installation.

I would suggest the same steps Craig suggested: uninstall, then use the CleanTool, reboot, and finally reinstall. I know you already tried this at least once, but did you use the CleanTool? Also, make sure to copy and paste the serial number from the email rather than typing it in.

Sorry I can't offer anything more substantial.

cfitz

Cleantool? Can you please explain where to get it and how to use it? Thanks.
skypx
CD-RW Player

Postby raydog1 on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:14 am

cfitz wrote:
raydog1 wrote:Maybe it's linked to the serial numbers causing Nero 6 to have "OEM" status. In the start menu, under programs, Nero is listed as OEM. They've been talking about this on the French Nero forums, but a Nero rep says that it shouldn't affect the functionality of the program and that it'll be fixed in the next update.

I've seen the same thing (both the OEM label and the discussion at the French form along with the response from the Nero rep). I believe the rep's contention that this is just a bug and will be fixed.

Actually, I think it is just a simple labeling bug and not a functional bug. On my machine it only says OEM in the label on the program group folder in the start menu (where it used to say "Demo" before I entered the serial number). In the "About" box of the actual program, it simply says Version 6.0.0.9. If it really was an OEM serial number, then it would say Version OEM 6.0.0.9, and if it was a bundled serial number like my original one (horrors) it would say Version 6.0.0.9 bundled.

In addition, contrary to what some have posted, I do not see any loss of functionality. I can run Nero Recode and I can access the anti-virus feature with the 6 serial number.

raydog1 wrote:I guess my question is. . . Do they have to "reproduce" this on their machines before they consider it a problem? Or are they going to wait a few months until people who don't normally use Nerovision start to see this error, and THEN decide to work on a fix? :x

I think they already consider it a problem, otherwise Craig wouldn't be trying to reproduce it. But in order to address the problem efficiently, it really helps if they can reproduce it.

cfitz

Yeah, I've had no problems with the antivrus and Recode either. I admit, I was stretching about that connection. :oops: This is the strangest bug I've ever seen, LOL!

skypx, the General Clean Tool can be located here-->ftp://ftp6.nero.com/
There is also a Nero Clean Tool, but it isn't located at that site. I'm pretty sure the Gen Clean Tool works just as well if not better since it addresses different components (such as Nerovision) individually. I could be wrong on that, and if I am, someone please correct me and give a link to the Nero Clean Tool. :wink:
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Postby Figaro on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:27 am

And for the lazy ones, a clickable link -> General-CleanTool_1135.zip
Leave your troubles outside!
So- life is disappointing? Forget it!
We have no troubles here! Here life is beautiful...
Figaro
Buffer Underrun

Postby skypx on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:38 am

raydog1 wrote:
cfitz wrote:

cfitz

Yeah, I've had no problems with the antivrus and Recode either. I admit, I was stretching about that connection. :oops: This is the strangest bug I've ever seen, LOL!

skypx, the General Clean Tool can be located here-->ftp://ftp6.nero.com/
There is also a Nero Clean Tool, but it isn't located at that site. I'm pretty sure the Gen Clean Tool works just as well if not better since it addresses different components (such as Nerovision) individually. I could be wrong on that, and if I am, someone please correct me and give a link to the Nero Clean Tool. :wink:

Thanks raydog1. I have to go to work now but I will try it as soon as I get home. :)
skypx
CD-RW Player

Postby raydog1 on Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:07 am

Tell us later if it helped you skypx!
raydog1
Buffer Underrun

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)