Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Just got my Optorite DD0203 from accupc.com

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

Postby DD0203user on Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:46 am

Telstar,
That is good news!! I will try other DVD-R media and post results. Can you try doing an iso read from dvddecryptor using those compusa dvd-r discs and tell us if you get a read error? With Verbatim (CMC type) this happens towards the end of the disc. Thanks.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby Telstar on Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:55 pm

DD0203user,

Just did what you suggested and no error was ever encountered. From what I have read elsewhere, Pioneer, Maxell, and Taiyo Yuden make first rate DVD-R discs. Ritek, BeALL, and Optodisc also make very good DVD-R discs. So you might want to consider these brands for the -R format.
Telstar
CD-RW Thug

New firmware 2.11 posted

Postby noypi2000 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:37 am

There is a new firmware posted on the official optorite site. Link http://www.optorite.com/DV2_211.zip. Check it out. I hope it has better dvd-r support that 2.09 and more media for hd-burn.
noypi2000
Buffer Underrun

Re: DVD-R not finalized

Postby raygay27 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 5:51 am

DD0203user wrote:Raygay27,
You mentioned your Ridata did not finalize. I think what I mentioned above is the same problem. I think the Optorite does not finalize DVD-R. Try the DVDdecryptor test I mentioned, and you might find the same.

i dun think so. i thot all DVDR, regardless it is + or -, if u choose to finalise then it will finalise.
i chose finalise for the case of Ridata media but it failed. meanwhile, my THATs (Taiyo Yuden) 4x dvd-r burnt successfully.
the case for the Ridata media is that the 'lead-out process' in Nero did not complete itself. so i suspect it is owing to media incompatibility.

anyway i do not buy anymore Ridata dvd-r media coz it looks ugly and cheap quality. and it is only 2x.
recently i found a 2x dvd-r media here at store, sold at SGD2.2 per piece. got 10 pieces for SGD22(SGD=Singapore Dollar). it is a 2x media and it works flawlessly. will post some info here later
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby dhc014 on Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:11 pm

This drive works with LtnFlash, weird. :-?
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby DD0203user on Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:36 pm

Ok, then it's settled. This is the best drive out there for now. It does what all dual format drives do... PLUS HD-BURN!!! THAT the others cannot do. The price was right too. Glad I sweated it out through all the firmware updates. Happy about my purchase. Optorite/Sanyo, keep the f/w updates coming.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Just Ordered my Optorite

Postby P1Tom on Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:33 pm

Alright I order my Optorite DVD Burner yesterday. :D I hope I get it soon but while I am waiting, I have some questions so I will be ready. When backing up DVD Movies is it best to use R- or R+ to play on stand alone DVD Players?

What is the best Software to use with this Drive to back up DVD Movies?
Is it best to make an image of the DVD to the HardDrive and then copy the image over?

I see a lot of post about Media and the type it is and what is best to use, my question is how do you know? All I see if Fugi or Maxell etc.., just the namebrands, how do you know your getting quality media and where does it show it when your buying it? I know I am a newbie, sorry.

I would hate to get 25 DVD R- or DVD R+ and none of them work because it was a sorry brand..

The CD-R that I will be using are Imation.. Are those good? Will HDBurn work with those?

I just don't want a bunch of coasters.

Thanks for any and all help!
P1Tom
Buffer Underrun

Postby nutsack on Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:29 pm

doofusdud wrote:Anyone know how to find this old firmware? The farthest I've been able to flash back is 2.06, with the problem of the non-playability of dvd-r's remaining.

Thanks

The old firmware versions (and the DOS update utility) can be found at http://www.firmware-flash.com
nutsack
Buffer Underrun

Postby DD0203user on Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:36 pm

The Imation CD-R I have work fine with HD-Burn using Bs Gold 5 with the latest patch.
DD0203user
Buffer Underrun

Postby EatMoreChicken on Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:34 pm

do VCD or SVCD's burned w/ HD-Burn play on stand alone DVD players?
EatMoreChicken
Buffer Underrun

Postby firehawk12 on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:12 am

Does the DOS flash software take a long time?

When I try it, it always "sticks" at 36%. :(
firehawk12
Buffer Underrun

Postby overfiend on Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:51 am

i sure hope -r works better with this firmware. And 'dvd-rom' bitrate would be a major help too. Can anyone confirm? I won't be able to reboot for a few days.
overfiend
Buffer Underrun

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:34 pm

DD0203user wrote:Ok, then it's settled. This is the best drive out there for now. It does what all dual format drives do... PLUS HD-BURN!!! THAT the others cannot do. The price was right too. Glad I sweated it out through all the firmware updates. Happy about my purchase. Optorite/Sanyo, keep the f/w updates coming.

Agreed. Plus it's one of the most affordable too. :D
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

FirmWare

Postby P1Tom on Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:11 pm

I have never updated my firmware on a drive and from all that I read I need to do this right away when I install my Optorite. Is it hard to do or simple? I have never done it. Is there anything I need to be careful not to do. I just don't want to mess it up the first day I get it.

Thanks!
P1Tom
Buffer Underrun

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:24 pm

It's extremely easy to update the firmware.

http://www.optorite.com/help.htm

has instructions on how to update it...
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby P1Tom on Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:47 am

Well I got my Optorite yesterday and have been putting it through the test. I do have some questions and problems for you experts.

Question: My drive didn't come with any kind of Manual at all. All it came with was a quick Installation Guide. Does it suppose to have a manual? I figured it would have something explaining HDBurn because I wouldn't know what it is if I didn't read forums. I could be wrong. (It also came with a Blank That's DVD+R, Gold5 Basic, and MyDVD).. Am I missing anything I suppose to get?

It came with Firmware 2.09 and I haven't updated it yet. Should I?

I have burned a DVD-R with no problems so far on FugiFilm DVD-R at 2X. Didn't know if I should try 4X, should it work with no problems?

I am have trouble with my HDBurn. I got the Update for Recorder Gold5 like the Optorite web site suggested by I still get an error. I am using Imation CD-R's. I just try the simulation on Atapi and it fails. It goes through the motions and reads the files but when it's initializing I get a ATAPI Error (51037303). Not sure what I should do? Any suggestions?
I also tried Nero 6 and it doesn't seem to recognize the Optorite when I use HDBurn. Nero Recognized it just fine when I burned the DVD-R, so I am not sure. Maybe I am just doing it wrong in Nero.

Thanks for any and all Help!
P1Tom
P1Tom
Buffer Underrun

Postby raygay27 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:14 am

ohj yeah this is cheapest media that i burnt flawlessly with my optorite f/w 2.11
it is a Princo 2x.
here is Singapore. i bot at SGD16 for 10.
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby raygay27 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:20 am

P1Tom wrote:Well I got my Optorite yesterday and have been putting it through the test. I do have some questions and problems for you experts.

Question: My drive didn't come with any kind of Manual at all. All it came with was a quick Installation Guide. Does it suppose to have a manual? I figured it would have something explaining HDBurn because I wouldn't know what it is if I didn't read forums. I could be wrong. (It also came with a Blank That's DVD+R, Gold5 Basic, and MyDVD).. Am I missing anything I suppose to get?

It came with Firmware 2.09 and I haven't updated it yet. Should I?

I have burned a DVD-R with no problems so far on FugiFilm DVD-R at 2X. Didn't know if I should try 4X, should it work with no problems?

I am have trouble with my HDBurn. I got the Update for Recorder Gold5 like the Optorite web site suggested by I still get an error. I am using Imation CD-R's. I just try the simulation on Atapi and it fails. It goes through the motions and reads the files but when it's initializing I get a ATAPI Error (51037303). Not sure what I should do? Any suggestions?
I also tried Nero 6 and it doesn't seem to recognize the Optorite when I use HDBurn. Nero Recognized it just fine when I burned the DVD-R, so I am not sure. Maybe I am just doing it wrong in Nero.

Thanks for any and all Help!
P1Tom

i believe newer f/w means improvement. so try 2 flash to the latest!

as for ur HD burn, maybe the media u use is incompatible? HD BURN is quite picky on media so choose correctly to avoid wasting time n money.
i so far only use maxell cdr 48x and it burns flawlessly.u can see in the pic i posted in previous postings.

it does not come with any manual. in fact it is so dumb-proof installing this drive. i got a piece of paper teaching you how to connect the drive to the ide, thats all, and i throw that away since i think it is quite general knowledge. but u can post your questions here i blieve many users of optorite including myself r willing2 help.
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby Budman69 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:24 am

Can anyone get -R's to burn at 4x?, i havent seen one yet that will.
Princo 4x=2x Kypermedia=2x,maybe fuji's?
Maybe somebody should make a list of all tested media and there recording speeds
Budman69
Buffer Underrun

Postby raygay27 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:29 am

Budman69 wrote:Can anyone get -R's to burn at 4x?, i havent seen one yet that will.
Princo 4x=2x Kypermedia=2x,maybe fuji's?
Maybe somebody should make a list of all tested media and there recording speeds

are you referring to cheap media only? compare like that it is not very fair.
i got this and it burns 4x flawlessly.so it is not true to say this drive cant burn DVD-R at 4x
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby Bhairav on Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:31 pm

:o Those are the best of the best! Must have cost you a pretty penny :wink:
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby raygay27 on Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:58 pm

bhairavp wrote::o Those are the best of the best! Must have cost you a pretty penny :wink:

the TY THATS dvd-r 4x is not avail in my country. my fren got it fr jPN for me. take a look at the price tag in the pix. 1779YEN = +- SGD27, which is relatively cheap compared to the usual retail price of branded media (Sony, TDK, Maxell many more )here at SGD10-15 per piece!
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby Bhairav on Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:36 pm

1779 Yen for 5 pieces? Then it is cheap!
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby raygay27 on Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:13 pm

bhairavp wrote:1779 Yen for 5 pieces? Then it is cheap!

thats right! so if u got any frens gng to Japan, ask them get 4 u!
myfren got it fr Akiba area.
she is pc-idiot but yet managed to buy this easily
raygay27
CD-RW Thug

Postby puppetmaster on Tue Aug 05, 2003 5:27 pm

I just recived my got my burner and I am hella pumped, though I am just totally confused about media. With my old CD-RW I just bought the cheapest stuff I could find, but it appears that doesn't work with DVD burners. Whats the best unbranded media or other media I could buy in spindles to use with this burner? Just from looking around dvdrhelp.com I gathered Ritek is good, but I dunno.
puppetmaster
Buffer Underrun

PreviousNext

Return to DVD Writers