Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Calibration Area Full

Burn baby burn!

Calibration Area Full

Postby sherif_shaaban on Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:24 am

Hi there. I was trying to burn an audio CD on an LG 1-40x CD-R, using my Sony 40x/12x/48x CD-RW (CRX195E4), when Nero (ver. 5.5.10.20 on WinXP Home Edition) gave me an error message saying 'Calibration area full'. What's wrong? My guess is that the blank CD is faulty. Also I thought of a compatibility problem, since the CD-R label says that it's capable of burning up to 40x, while nero lists the burning speed only up to 24x. Would you please help? Thanks in advance :)
sherif_shaaban
Buffer Underrun

Postby David on Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:57 am

Sounds to me like the media is bad. I experenced a simular problme with some Maxell cd-r's on two seporate burners.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby sherif_shaaban on Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:53 am

Is this kind of error fatal to the CD? I mean is there a way to make use of it other than adding a new coaster to my collection? :D
sherif_shaaban
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:11 pm

sherif_shaaban wrote:Is this kind of error fatal to the CD? I mean is there a way to make use of it other than adding a new coaster to my collection? :D

As far as I know, there's nothing you can do to reuse the CD. I guess you've got a shiny new coaster! :wink:
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby Inertia on Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:24 pm

The disc is a coaster. The "Power Calibration Area Full" error informs that it was not possible to correctly calibrate the recorder to the media for the speed setting. This is usually caused by incompatible media, although it could be a hardware error if the recorder is failing. Lowering the recording speed may allow the calibration and burn to proceed normally. If not, try a different brand of high quality media. High speed discs made by Taiyo Yuden are a good choice if you can find them.

For background details of this error, see I'm getting complaints about power calibration.

The standard power calibration area at the inside diameter of the disc is adequate for calibrating power up to about 16x speed. Speeds above 16x generally require interpolation of the power setting for high speed recording. Due to the inherent compromises in this method, Philips revised the Orange Book standard to define a new power calibration area at the outside of the disc. This new area is called PCA2 and is suitable for the highest recording speeds. Support for PCA2 is optional. It is backwards compatible and uses standard discs.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives