Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Disabling Nero, InCD, EasyWrite Reader and MultiMounter

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Disabling Nero, InCD, EasyWrite Reader and MultiMounter

Postby kaikow on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:35 pm

How does one disable Nero, InCD, EasyWrite Reader anf MultiMounter?
Is uninstalling the only way?

Or, are there services that can be stopped/disabled temporarily?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:37 pm

What do you mean "disable" Nero? As far as I know, the only way to disable InCD and EasyWrite Reader is to uninstall them, and I really don't know about MultiMounter.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kaikow on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:49 pm

For example, there is an InCD.exe process that can be terminated.

In any case, it is often a good idea to stop/disable active processes when doing an install.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:53 pm

In my experience, having things like InCD running while an install is in progress doesn't seem to cause any problems. In fact, I frequently install programs while running other programs, and this has never caused me a problem. :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby kaikow on Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:29 am

See Microsoft KB article 319714 for an example of general techniques to troubleshoot installs.

I'm just asking how to stop/disable for Nero, InCD, EWR amd multimounter, without doing an install, in case such techniques were felt to be necessary.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Pilgrim on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:37 am

kaikow wrote:I'm just asking how to stop/disable for Nero, InCD, EWR amd multimounter, without doing an install, in case such techniques were felt to be necessary.

There are 2 "processes" for InCD:

InCD.exe
incdsrv.exe

From the Task Manager in "Processes" you can shut them down. What happens when you do this I couldn't say. Try it at your own risk, hehe. If I were you, I'd create a shortcut to the InCD.exe in your Program Files so you could restart it again, which is a bit easier than typing those two files in Task Manager and restarting them.

Jeff
Pilgrim
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:03 am

killing InCD.exe doesn't really "disable" InCD, just part of it (you don't see the icon in the system tray anymore).
i don't know if killing both InCD.exe and incdsrv.exe does "kill" InCD completely.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby kaikow on Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:46 am

Pilgrim wrote:
kaikow wrote:I'm just asking how to stop/disable for Nero, InCD, EWR amd multimounter, without doing an install, in case such techniques were felt to be necessary.

There are 2 "processes" for InCD:

InCD.exe
incdsrv.exe

From the Task Manager in "Processes" you can shut them down. What happens when you do this I couldn't say. Try it at your own risk, hehe. If I were you, I'd create a shortcut to the InCD.exe in your Program Files so you could restart it again, which is a bit easier than typing those two files in Task Manager and restarting them.

Jeff

THis was with nero 6.0.0.11, InCD 4.0.1.21 and EWR 3.3.2.0.

I'm not booted to that partition now, but with InCD 3.5.24.0, killing the incd.exe process does wipe out the icon in the system tray.
I do not see an incdsrv process, just incd.

I'd be doing a reboot after the install, so InCD would reappear when I rebooted.

During the install of VS .NET 2003 Pro, a point was reached when I kept getting errpr 1305, asking me to retry or cancel. This happended for several files. In one case, I had to eject and then re-insert the CD before the install would continue. At some point, the install hung trying to access a particular file, so I had to abort the install.

Fortunately, the VS .NET 2003 install has a rollback feature so, I got put back to square 0 (or 1, depending on ho you like to count).

I then uninstalled Nero, InCD and EWR (forgot to uninstall multimounter).
Rebooted and performed the install with no problems.

Could just be a coincidence, but I do believe that this is due to the CD software.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:05 pm

InCD, EWR and the multimounter are acting in your system as drivers from the cd-rom/dvd-rom class or as filesystems. These components are mainly working at kernel level. You cannot dynamically unload them (Windows OS is designed so). The only wait you could "disable" them without uninstalling them would be to modify the starting status of the associated drivers in your registry then to reboot your computer. I honestly strongly dis-recommand such changes. You can break your windows installation badly doing this.

Better de-install the software, do what you needed without them, then re-install.

Killing process with task manager is not safe (you can do it yes but it is not safe).
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:20 pm

Thanx, I'll uninstall.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)