Home News Reviews Forums Shop

What is your computer's name?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Postby Bhairav on Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:55 am

Heh.. just confirming :D . Oh and BTW, I see that Escher link in your signature: my sister is doing her bachelor's degree in Fine Art, and she's referring to a book on MC Escher's work right now.
It's called "The magic of MC Escher", big red hardbound book.
Q6600@3.1Ghz | Asus P5Q-E | 4GB DDR2-800 | 8800GT | 4TB HDD | Viewsonic vx2025wm
Xonar DX | Pioneer DVR-212 | Pioneer 111L | Benq 1655
Bhairav
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:22 am

i added another bit about Ancalagon, from The Silmarillion, to my previous post (in case anyone's interested).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:36 am

MediumRare wrote:I should have know that that's the source...
dodecahedron wrote:AFAIK, these two are the only named dragons in The Lord of The Rings, apart from Smaug, of course.

I guess if you add a third machine you'll have to go to something like "Ouroboros" or "Norbert".

OK now I need clarification... i don't get the references.
Norbert seems familiar somehow, but i can't put my finger on it.
Ouroboros - is this from Greek mythology? the name sounds kind of greek.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:45 am

OK i get it norbert is from Harry Potter.

no computer of mine is going to be named anything related to Harry Potter! :x

LOL i googled for norbert dragon, got 14,800 hits, turns out there is a guy named Dr. Norbert Dragon. apprently he's in the University of Hannover, he deals with theoretical physics - relativity, gravity, particles and waves, Yang-Mills theory and lots of stuff like that. etc. :lol:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby MikeTR on Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:13 am

dodecahedron wrote:yeah, it's obvious, isn't it? :D

Comes as a total shock to me :o.

My computer doesn't have a name right now. Never found a really good one. I thought about Morgoth, since it's got a M$ OS on it, but maybe Fangorn would be more fitting considering it's age.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:37 am

Mine came with names already on it: RESET and POWER
:o
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:59 am

MikeTR wrote:I thought about Morgoth, since it's got a M$ OS on it, but maybe Fangorn would be more fitting considering it's age.

What does Morgoth mean? I'm assuming it's also a reference to Tolkein's books! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:32 am

CDRecorder wrote:What does Morgoth mean? I'm assuming it's also a reference to Tolkein's books! :D

Morgoth is the name of the Dark Lord in the First Age of Tolkien's fictional world. this is approx 6400 years before the events that take place in The Hobbit.
Sauron, the dark lord in The Lord of The Rings, was the servant/underling of Morgoth.
Morgoth's overthrow (and the related events) marked the end of the First Age.

Tolkien's book The Silmarillion tells the stories of the events that happened in the First Age, Morgoth and all the rest of them...
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:31 am

I see. Thanks for the explanation! :D
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby MikeTR on Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:41 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
CDRecorder wrote:What does Morgoth mean? I'm assuming it's also a reference to Tolkein's books! :D

Morgoth is the name of the Dark Lord in the First Age of Tolkien's fictional world. this is approx 6400 years before the events that take place in The Hobbit.
Sauron, the dark lord in The Lord of The Rings, was the servant/underling of Morgoth.
Morgoth's overthrow (and the related events) marked the end of the First Age.

Tolkien's book The Silmarillion tells the stories of the events that happened in the First Age, Morgoth and all the rest of them...

Damn, didn't even get to react myself. But I couldn't have said it any clearer myself.
Thanks dodec, BTW did you ever find that other dragon??? Guess you did, it was too easy to begin with, but I couldn't resist. :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

other dragons

Postby MediumRare on Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:05 pm

dodecahedron wrote:Ouroboros - is this from Greek mythology? the name sounds kind of greek.

Sorry it took so long- here's a bit of info.

During the first big Tolkien wave in the 60's, one publisher trying to cash in on the interest pushed a book as being "similar". This was "The Worm Ouroboros" by E.R. Eddison (written in 1922). This is a kind of cyclic heroic tale that starts anew once it's finished- hence the byline "the worm Ouroboros that swallows its own tail". I read it at the time but don't remember much other than that it was a big disappointment.

There are other literary dragons of course, e.g. Fafnir the guardian of the Nibelungen gold whose blood lent Siegfried invulnerability. The German children's book author Michael Ende created at least 2 remarkable characters. His "Never Ending Story" was at least as big a hit as Tolkien among the college crowd in the 70s (and is highly recommended today too- don't be put off by the film(s)). The dragon there is "Fuchur", the white dragon of luck. Mainly for "real" children is the delightful "Jim Knopf and Lucas the Locomotive Driver". The dragon there is "Frau Mahlzahn" (Mrs. Molar) who is primarily a nasty teacher who turns out to be (oh wonder) a dragon.

Fuchur is probably the most "tolkienesque" of the bunch, although Fafnir was probably the prototype. Anyway- this is getting a bit off topic, so I'll stop.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Previous

Return to The Beer Garden