Home News Reviews Forums Shop

how did you meet your Wife or girlfriend

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

how did you meet your Wife or girlfriend

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:22 pm

I am pretty sure their are no girls on this board. so if their is prove me here :)

anyways I met Jen on the phone via a friend
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:04 pm

check out this poll in the Beer Garden (rather an old one...)
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7103

there are a few members whom i suspect are girls/women, but none of them regulars around here (at least not recently. one of them used to visit quite regularly).

i met my wife in a club, at a dance party. i went there with a (girl) friend of mine, and we met on the dance floor. :D
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:16 pm

mail order bride!!
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Boone on Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:02 pm

Ian wrote:mail order bride!!

I'll back this one up... I was Ian's roommate when UPS delivered her. He was at class so I had to sign for delivery.

Ian, how is Svetlana doing these days? Is she still sticking to her 12 step program?
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby MonteLDS on Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:10 pm

Boone wrote:

I'll back this one up... I was Ian's roommate when UPS delivered her. He was at class so I had to sign for delivery.

Ian, how is Svetlana doing these days? Is she still sticking to her 12 step program?

UPS? don't you mean DHL?
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:54 pm

I met mine over a police radio system, then in person about a month later.

She's an officer.
I'm a police dispatcher.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:35 pm

I met mine in a class.

Now that is a historical fact only significant in response to the question posed.

OTH, that brings to mind some very good advice which those who are seeking would be wise to follow. Ian has already covered one important don't and allow me to add two more don'ts: go to a church singles club/group nor go to singles/pick-up bars.

Well, you may ask, what about the do's? Where do I go to meet boys or girls as the case may be? I have one very good answer for each instance which I am not going to promiscously disclose this valuable information unless specifically requested. Then being the sweet, wonderful person that I am, I will post it. :)
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:14 am

ROFLMAO!!

I met my bride at a reality show on TV. I had 100 females to choose from, and I voted each one off after a date or two... :wink:

Actually we met via a blind date set up by mutual friends. We had a long distance relationship for a year, before finally moving to the same city together :)
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:19 am

My future wife and I attending the same Junior High School (7th grade) after attending different elementary schools. Never dated in school though, as we were just best friends. Typically your best friend is of the same sex, but we had to be different. It wasn't until after we both got our Bachelor's degrees (different Big 10 schools) that we started dating.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:54 am

It wasn't until after we both got our Bachelor's degrees (different Big 10 schools) that we started dating.

Interesting, my wife and I also - different Big 10 schools.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:55 am

I was introduced to my girlfriend through a colleague, who had met her, and saw her regularly, during his commute.
He thought we might be a good match.

This thread has good timing:
This Saturday will be exactly one year since our first meeting/date - We started out as friends, which lasted for almost three months, before we began a serious relationship.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:35 pm

I met my wife during dinner while on a business trip in Georgia. She overheard the conversation at my table and couldn't keep herself from laughing at the fact that while it was obviously a serious meeting, yet my input couldn't have been further from sounding serious.

In short, I went back to California...kept in touch with her...kept going back to visit her...decided that we'd start seeing each other on a serious basis instead of just friends...relocated...got married...now we have an awesome little girl.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:58 pm

F1Pilot wrote:I met my wife during dinner while on a business trip in Georgia. She overheard the conversation at my table and couldn't keep herself from laughing at the fact that while it was obviously a serious meeting, yet my input couldn't have been further from sounding serious.

In short, I went back to California...kept in touch with her...kept going back to visit her...decided that we'd start seeing each other on a serious basis instead of just friends...relocated...got married...now we have an awesome little girl.

Sorry to go off topic, but I LOVE my little baby girl. It's really the best thing in the world.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:55 pm

UALOneKPlus...
I'm sure there won't be any real objections to being off topic here! :wink:

But yeah, my wife AND daughter are the best things to have ever happened to me. My wife somehow made me want to settle down (finally). I dunno how it is for you, but for me, my daughter is the single most important fact of my life. She made me grow up along with my growing old part. LOL! She can talk sense into me without saying a word.

One thing I've learned is that I never really truly knew my capacity of/for love until my little girl came along. It's mindblowing and lifechanging.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:23 pm

Sorry to go off topic, but I LOVE my little baby girl. It's really the best thing in the world.

That's how I felt years ago, and it hasn't changed a bit. Thirtyfive years old and she still says: "Daddy, when are you going to take me camping?
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:25 pm

F1Pilot wrote:UALOneKPlus...
I'm sure there won't be any real objections to being off topic here! :wink:

But yeah, my wife AND daughter are the best things to have ever happened to me. My wife somehow made me want to settle down (finally). I dunno how it is for you, but for me, my daughter is the single most important fact of my life. She made me grow up along with my growing old part. LOL! She can talk sense into me without saying a word.

One thing I've learned is that I never really truly knew my capacity of/for love until my little girl came along. It's mindblowing and lifechanging.

I TOTALLY agree 100%. I can't imagine a life without my little munchkin. Guess that makes me sound old now, doesn't it?? :D
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:26 pm

CowboySlim wrote:

That's how I felt years ago, and it hasn't changed a bit. Thirtyfive years old and she still says: "Daddy, when are you going to take me camping?

LOL. So how do you feel about the grandkids? Are there any? My parents are ga-ga over my baby girl!! :wink:
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby F1Pilot on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:39 pm

Nice pic, CowboySlim! Thanks for sharing it. Sounds like you have a great relationship with your kids! :wink:

I'm still a kid at heart. Okay...CHILDISH...I'll admit it! But yeah, I can play with her for hours and not get tired of it. There are many times where I ended up being the disappointed one because she can hardly keep her eyes open and is about to fall asleep.

My in-laws love her to death, especially since all of the other grandkidlets are boys. I won't let my daughter stay alone with my folks. I don't trust them one bit. They're lucky they even get to spend any time at all with her.
I teach Music 101
F1Pilot
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:48 pm

No worries, F1,

What isn't shown are my two grandchildren (inside the tent), boy of 3 and girl of 1. It just starts all over again! I love them and dote on them as if they were my own.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:34 pm

Boone wrote:It wasn't until after we both got our Bachelor's degrees (different Big 10 schools) that we started dating.

It was obvious that these two liked each other, even before they started dating. :roll:

To set things straight, my wife really isn't a mail order bride. Like Boone, my wife and I went to high school together. I really didn't know her though until we started dating in college.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby UALOneKPlus on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:54 pm

You mean you didn't get a free bride sample to test and benchmark? :o

Ian wrote:
Boone wrote:It wasn't until after we both got our Bachelor's degrees (different Big 10 schools) that we started dating.

It was obvious that these two liked each other, even before they started dating. :roll:

To set things straight, my wife really isn't a mail order bride. Like Boone, my wife and I went to high school together. I really didn't know her though until we started dating in college.
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:05 pm

Wow, this has become a popular thread quite quickly. I guess you picked the right question this time, MonteLDS. :)

CowboySlim wrote:Well, you may ask, what about the do's? Where do I go to meet boys or girls as the case may be? I have one very good answer for each instance which I am not going to promiscously disclose this valuable information unless specifically requested. Then being the sweet, wonderful person that I am, I will post it. :)

All right Slim, I will ask, since no one else seems willing to bite: where does one go to meet boys or girls as the case may be?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:09 am

Well, cfitz, I'm surprised also that nobody else has risen to the bait earlier. However, that is not without benefit as we now see from the above another avenue in addition to those that I had in mind originally. For those who think that there school years are behind them, GO BACK TO SCHOOL!
Men: sign up for classes that are popular with the ladies, arts? music? office administration? foreign language?
Ladies: do the opposite, computer stuff?

Now for my original advice:
For the ladies, as heard on a radio call in talk show hosted by a lady for women came this. Find your local electronics swap meet. The example given on the radio was the monthly(?) ham radio swap meet in El Segundo, CA, but anything like that should do. The caller said that she didn't have to know anything about electronics or radios, the sellers and browsers were only too happy to explain. She went on to say that although the men were real geeks, the made great, solid husband material. They all had good, well paying jobs, they didn't hang out in beer bars and were not big drinkers and they were not latent wife beaters. They make good, solid, economically responsible mates (although perhaps not the best looking and probably somewhat boring guys).

For the men, I know it works, although I haven't met women this way (because I was with my wife walking our dogs around the park when I made these observations). Yes, that's it! Check out the local parks in your area (redundancy, I know) to see where the ladies go to walk around on Sunday afternoons (or late mornings). Then get a dog - little, cute, friendly, cudddly, no too hyper and non-threatening is a must. Mine are Boston Terriers (very good) and I think that Pugs go over well, also. Just walk the dog around and you won't believe how the girls that will stop and admire the dogs - then just take it from there. If you don't have a dog? Go to a pet store and ask to take one for a test walk. They probably will think that you are screwy so prepare to offer them a multi-hundred dollar deposit (these dogs retail for that much and the breeders do not offer the mail in rebates that we have come to know and love) and maybe $10 rental fee.

Well, Buckaroos, GOOD LUCK!
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden