Home News Reviews Forums Shop

XP Locks up on file access...

Anything else

XP Locks up on file access...

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:14 am

OK, VERY, VERY strange problem: I've got a 700MG AVI file; if I try to access it, either to delete it, play it, or bring up the properities, my system basically freezes. I say basically because Explorer takes up 99% of the CPU time, and I am unable to do anything (I just get the hourglass).

This file can't be a virus; it's an AVI file (I've got XP set to show ALL extensisons, so it really is), and I've got an antivirus program running at all times.

EDIT:
I tried accessing it through a command prompt (in order to move it/delete it); it froze the command window but I was able to close it w/o resetting the system. It did, however, succeded in moving the file to a different hard drive (which took about 1 hour, which is why I didn't notice it), as well as renaming it to a .txt file (which I *can* bring up the properities for). Attempting to delete the file brings a "this file is in use by another process" message...which is BS.

So; WTF is up with this stupid file? My first though was a possible bad sector on the hard drive (a raid array), but it still happens with the file moved to another drive). I did manage to delete the file after renaming it (through a command prompt) to a .txt file. What the hell is this stupid thing???
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:19 am

Strange. What happens if the file is copied to another computer?

Is it possible that the file is corrupted?

Edit: By corrupted, I meant something is wrong with the file, not with the hard drive.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:22 am

that's just it; I CANT copy it. Even just clicking on it once to highlight it freezes the system. Only w/the command prompt can I actually do anything with (very slowly, though). A chkdsk of the drive did not show any problems, either.

This is the wierdest problem I've EVER seen on a PC!

As for it being corrupted, even if it is a corrupt video file, it does not explain the system locking up when trying to access the file.
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:52 am

Pretty strange... Can you burn it to a CD, or does an attempt to do that freeze up the system, too? You could try burning the file to an iso first just to make sure that you don't waste a CD trying to burn the file.

Also, where did you get this file? Did you download it, or create it yourself, or something else?
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:09 am

I downloaded it. And no, I can't burn it. More access denied errors. I think I'll just kill this thing from Linux...I've got a boot disc somewhere...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:13 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help more; I've never seen anything like that, either. :(

Have you ever tried the Knoppix Linux distribution? It basically is a full Linux installation (complete with many apps) on one bootable CD. It runs off of that CD, and it doesn't need to change anything on the hard drives. :D

You can get it at LinuxISO.org.
Last edited by CDRecorder on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby BurninMan921 on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:22 am

I haven't tried that one, but I will! I've got Mandrake and Lycoris right now (haven't tried Lycoris yet...it and the Linux distro it's based on (SuSE?) doesn't like my pc for some reason. It'll install and run fine, up until I reboot).
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:28 am

Yes, Mandrake is nice, too. I really like its installer program; it was far easier to use than Debian was when I tried to install it.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Return to General Software Questions