Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can you save directly to CD-RW using Drag to Disk?

Easy Media Creator, Toast, RecordNow, MyDVD, WinOnCD, DLA, etc.

Can you save directly to CD-RW using Drag to Disk?

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:23 am

Have used Direct CD in the past. Currently use InCD from Nero. In each case, I have been able to create documents using Word, Excel and more and save directly to a CD-RW in the drive. Can this be done with Drag to Disk? Nero's new InCD 4xx is major flawed and many of us can no longer save directly to disk using InCD...unless go back to version 3.5.xx. Please shed some light for me.

Thanks

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:40 am

Dear bobmitchell,
sure you can use Drag-to-Disc to save files to CD-R and CD-RW.I have been using Direct CD for last 3 years without any problems.I really like packet writing.When I first upgraded to Windows XP I did not have Adaptec's/Roxio's compatible software.I installed then latest Nero Burning ROM and latest InCD.But InCD just crashed my system,did not recognise the disc formatted by it a short time before and many problems.So I bought ECDC 5 Platinum and was happy when installed patches from Roxio.I now use ECDC 6 with all latest patches installed.I trust Roxio.I have never faced any problem with any Roxio software.
See ya later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:12 am

Thank you for the input...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Re: Can you save directly to CD-RW using Drag to Disk?

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:22 pm

bobmitchell wrote:Have used Direct CD in the past. Currently use InCD from Nero. In each case, I have been able to create documents using Word, Excel and more and save directly to a CD-RW in the drive. Can this be done with Drag to Disk? Nero's new InCD 4xx is major flawed and many of us can no longer save directly to disk using InCD...unless go back to version 3.5.xx. Please shed some light for me.

Thanks

Bob

Is Drag to Disk a replacement for Direct CD, or are they products with a different function?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Re: Can you save directly to CD-RW using Drag to Disk?

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:40 pm

kaikow wrote:
bobmitchell wrote:Have used Direct CD in the past. Currently use InCD from Nero. In each case, I have been able to create documents using Word, Excel and more and save directly to a CD-RW in the drive. Can this be done with Drag to Disk? Nero's new InCD 4xx is major flawed and many of us can no longer save directly to disk using InCD...unless go back to version 3.5.xx. Please shed some light for me.

Thanks

Bob

Is Drag to Disk a replacement for Direct CD, or are they products with a different function?

Hi Howard!

Thought that I'd answer your question.

According to info at the Roxio web site Drag to Disc is the sucessor to Direct CD.

If you have any more questions, you know where to find me, n'est-ce pas?
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:41 pm

Replaced Direct CD. From what I can tell over the past few days of use...nicely done, too! I had so many issues with Direct CD that came with Easy CD Creator 5...that I threw out the 5 Suite and used Nero ever since. Nero's new InCD is so bug ridden that I had to re-consider. When I purchased my Plextor PX-708A DVD Multi Burner...I was introduced to Easy CD Creator 6 and Drag to Disc. Now, I use Nero, ECDC and Drag to Disc. If D2D stays as stable as I am using at present...I will keep it on the machine for good.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:01 pm

bobmitchell wrote:Replaced Direct CD. From what I can tell over the past few days of use...nicely done, too! I had so many issues with Direct CD that came with Easy CD Creator 5...that I threw out the 5 Suite and used Nero ever since. Nero's new InCD is so bug ridden that I had to re-consider. When I purchased my Plextor PX-708A DVD Multi Burner...I was introduced to Easy CD Creator 6 and Drag to Disc. Now, I use Nero, ECDC and Drag to Disc. If D2D stays as stable as I am using at present...I will keep it on the machine for good.

Bob

I got EZCD 5 with my Plextor drive.

On my multiboot system, I installed EZCD/Direct CD in Win 98 and the retail version of Nero/InCD in Win 2000.

I gave up on EZCD/DirectCD because I could not get Roxio's EWR to work in Win 98. I think it worke din Win 2000, but I ferget.

A few weeks ago, I replaced Win 98 with Win 2000, so that issue might be gone.

Fer now, I'm sticking with Nero 5.5.10.42, InCD 3.5.24.0 and EWR 3.3.2.0, as that seems to do what I need. I'll just wait to see whether Ahead gets Nero 6 and InCD 4 and Multimounter and EWR 4 working properly. If I need more software, then I'd buy Roxio's to give it a try.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:20 pm

Well...here I am a few days later...seems that the Roxio Easy CD Creator suite has done it to me...My entire HDD...trashed...they make it so you can't uninstall properly...and all the Packet writing discs are getting corrupt...Easy CD Creator 6 now comes up with all kinds of errors and won't run...reminds me of how bad version 5 was and why I went to Nero to begin with. Am formatting my HDD on my desktop as we speak...and back to Nero 5.5.10.42 (always kept) and InCD 3.5.24

ECDC is junk as always...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:40 am

Hi all,
I have never faced any problems using packet writing software from Roxio/Adaptec.But when I used InCD when I didn't have compatible version for Windows XP,well it messed up with my system.I then bought Roxio EZCD 5 Platinum and applies all latest patches to the OS and have neve faced any problems since.Then I upgraded to EZCD 6 and my system is running beautifully,without any problems whatsoever.
I love Roxio's software.
See ya guys later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:46 am

I've never had good luck with packet writing software, regardless of manufacturer.

If you want to risk saving your files to CD-RW, feel free. Just don't get burned without alternate storage on your HD or CD-R.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:02 am

Well hard luck UALOneKPlus,because I have about 12 CD-RW's formatted with Drag-To-Disc.And infinite no. of CD-R's and packet writing has never failed for me,except by InCD,which is fortunately history now.

See ya guys later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:35 am

Actually...the reason I have been an Ahead Nero user for the past two years was the initial release of Easy CD Creator 5. I found a bug at the time, that when used with a Plextor 121032A and burnproof...Direct CD would not allow CD-R's to close at all. Whether doing multisession with Direct CD from day 1 or on the last day...when needing to finally close the Disk so it can no longer be written to...the disks stay open. After working with Roxio for three weeks on every different solution that they offered...I got a call from Customer Service...offering me a full refund...as long as I sent the entire package I had purchased back. So I did. I posted on a different forum and almost 100% of replies said to get the new Nero 5.5...so I did. For over two years...InCD was a non issue. Did what it was supposed to do. Could not work with CD-R, but did fine with CD-RW. I have saved a lot on information to work with daily on the CD-RW. For archival...I do multisession in Nero itself. I have had no complaints with Ahead at all, until the release of InCD 4xx...and looks like the issue may actually be resolved in it's next release.

As for Roxio...I installed ECDC 6 and Drag to Disc the day I purchased my Plextor PX-708A...InCD was removed by using the InCD remove tool that I got from Ahead. Installed the entire ECDC suite and things were looking up. Seems that everything worked...and Drag to disc was very impressive. All the problems I had with the previous release were fixed. Now to the new issue. Drag to disc worked day in and day out for 10 days. Not a glitch. At first...I burned Music CD's...data CD's...and all types of mixtures with ECDC 6. Then...one by one...program dll's began to corrupt. I tried to open CD Copy and it no longer recognized my Plextor Drive...even though the software shipped with it. Plextor gave me some solutions...and none worked. Then the next day...I tried to open DVD builder and the program no longer ran. Got a little nervous...so I went into Add / Remove programs and ran a repair. Then ECDC no longer opened saying that there were more corrupt files.

I don't get what the problem was...and frankly...burn me once and I'm done. This is the second time that Roxio software has driven me away...and this time...it came free with my new drive.

As far as drag to disc...it was the only module that stayed functional to the end. Guess I will stay with Ahead and see what shakes out with the new version 6. Right now...version 5.5 is still going strong...and InCD 3.5.24 is back and working with just one of my drives...since it does not recognize my Plextor. Once the new version of InCD 4xx is released...Ahead assures me that the bug I had experienced (and others as well) is gone. If so...Great.

Roxio has a GREAT idea...just never brought it to full reality for some. Others don't seem to have any problems. I think that many software companies are like that.

Bob

BTW...I have been using Windows XP Professional since day 1...and never dealt with file corruption of this nature until Roxio. I have accidently done things myself...but not this time.
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:42 pm

Dear Bob,
Hi.I am surprised that EZCD 6 crashed your system in
so short time.Last time I faced problem's with EZCD was
in version 5 Platinum when I had upgraded to Platinum
from Basic.The problem was that the software did not
detect the drive.But when I applied all the latest patches
from the site,the problem was solved,the drive was detected and I have never faced
any problem since then.
I upgraded to EZCD 6 about 2 month's before and never
would be more happier.Roxio's software has always worked for me.
Although I like Nero Burning ROM and use it,I have never had
luck with Ahead's InCD.Maybe my system doesn't like it;)
See you later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby sandersk on Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:31 pm

I sorta agree with you both. For me, Nero is a better CD/DVD mastering software than Roxio's, although I admit I have never used the Platinum version. (I have seen or used Creator Basic since version 3.) Nero's feature set seems more robust and comprehensive.

I do, however, find DirectCD and now Drag to Disc much better than InCD ever was. They have provided bulletproof packet writing for me. So I use both: Nero for burning CD/DVDs and Drag to Disc for packet writing, which I do a lot of.
sandersk
CD-RW Thug

Return to Sonic Solutions and Roxio