Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD 4.0.5.6 released today

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD 4.0.5.6 released today

Postby kaikow on Mon Sep 08, 2003 10:04 am

Yet another InCD release.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby Sa[v]aGe on Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:22 pm

I have a question about the InCD 4.0.5.6.
Is the link ftp://ftp.us.nero.com/InCD4056.exe, a link to the full version of the InCD or it's just an update.
I'm asking this because on the www.nero.com says that the InCD can only be bought only as a part of the Nero 6 package.
And if the link is for the full version, does it need a registration?
I had installed Nero 5.5.10.0 on my system, but I am regularly using the CDRWin 3.9 software. Will there be any problem with theese two.
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strenght
Sa[v]aGe
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:53 pm

You will need to have Nero installed before you can install InCD.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Sa[v]aGe on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:27 pm

Ian wrote:You will need to have Nero installed before you can install InCD.

I have Nero. It's 5.5.10.0 version. Will it work with that.
War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strenght
Sa[v]aGe
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:31 pm

Sa[v]aGe wrote:
Ian wrote:You will need to have Nero installed before you can install InCD.

I have Nero. It's 5.5.10.0 version. Will it work with that.

Don't bother with InCD 4.0.5.6.
It still has the bug that corrupts Word files discussed in other thread in this forum.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Mon Sep 08, 2003 4:36 pm

That's why I am only running Nero 6 in demo mode! I have made them aware of the Word bug since version 4.00.01 or whatever the first version of InCD 4 was...and they haven't even bothered to fix it, yet. Why should I give Ahead any more of my money when they won't fix obvious problems...at one point, insulting me by telling me that it was user error...As many of you who are suffering from the Word bug in InCD 4xx as I am...guess we're all nuts!

Thought...

I just purchased a Plextor PX-708A 8X DVD+R/ 4X DVD-R / 4X DVD+RW / 2X DVD-RW burner with 40 x 24 x 40 CD speeds. It came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 plus many extras. One piece of software in the package is Drag to Disk. If it works properly with Saving directly to CD-RW...I will most likely keep it and go back to my licensed Nero 5.5.10.42 in Addition to the Roxio suite. As yet...I have not figured out how to burn DVD Movies with Roxio...other than that...they have done a decent job with ECDC 6.1. C'mon Ahead...can't you take out the time to fix the word bug with InCD and keep your customers smiling?

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:16 pm

bobmitchell wrote:That's why I am only running Nero 6 in demo mode! I have made them aware of the Word bug since version 4.00.01 or whatever the first version of InCD 4 was...and they haven't even bothered to fix it, yet. Why should I give Ahead any more of my money when they won't fix obvious problems...at one point, insulting me by telling me that it was user error...As many of you who are suffering from the Word bug in InCD 4xx as I am...guess we're all nuts!

Thought...

I just purchased a Plextor PX-708A 8X DVD+R/ 4X DVD-R / 4X DVD+RW / 2X DVD-RW burner with 40 x 24 x 40 CD speeds. It came with Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 plus many extras. One piece of software in the package is Drag to Disk. If it works properly with Saving directly to CD-RW...I will most likely keep it and go back to my licensed Nero 5.5.10.42 in Addition to the Roxio suite. As yet...I have not figured out how to burn DVD Movies with Roxio...other than that...they have done a decent job with ECDC 6.1. C'mon Ahead...can't you take out the time to fix the word bug with InCD and keep your customers smiling?

Bob

I am using Nero 5.5.10.42, InCD 3.5.24.0 and EWR 3.3.2. in my main Win 2000 partition.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:26 am

Just removed InCD and installed Roxio Drag to Disk 6.xx. Well...the Word bug isn't here...I wrote three files and saved directly to CD-RW...I really like Drag to Disk...will keep playing with it until I'm convinced. The ball is in Ahead's court.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:08 am

bobmitchell wrote:Just removed InCD and installed Roxio Drag to Disk 6.xx. Well...the Word bug isn't here...I wrote three files and saved directly to CD-RW...I really like Drag to Disk...will keep playing with it until I'm convinced. The ball is in Ahead's court.

Bob

Ahead has at least the following problems to fix:

1. They have to demonstrate that they put in place better processes for management, design, implementation and quality assurance. THeir current/past processes are a failure.

2. InCD 4,x stil lhas horrific bugs, including the one that causes Word
files to be corrupted.

3. EasyWrite Reader 4.* will not read files using a SCSI Plextor PX-32TSi CD-ROM drive. EasyWrite Reader 3.3.2.0 has no such problems.

4. Multimounter does not display the Volumes tab with either the SCSI Plextor 32TSi CD-ROM drive or an ATAPI Plextor PX-W4824TA CD-RW drive.

If these problems are not corrected quickly, many of us wil ljust move on to another vendor.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:25 pm

Here's my new setup...works like a charm:

Samsung SM348B on Ide 1 as Master (D:\)
Plextor PX-708A on IDE 2 as Master (E:\)

Nero 5.5.10.42 to burn any DVD's and Multisession
Roxio Easy CD Creator 6.1.1.7 Basic for Audio CD's
Roxio Drag to Disc 6/1/1/7 for Packet Writing...I forgot how you can burn CD-R with it as well.

Have been using all day...no problems at all...Maybe I'm on to something.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby RMerlin on Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:13 pm

kaikow wrote:

1. They have to demonstrate that they put in place better processes for management, design, implementation and quality assurance. THeir current/past processes are a failure.

<cough> ECD 5.0 <cough> Windows 2000 <cough> <cough>

;)

Point being, bug-free software is something I've given up on seeing years ago. Modern software has outgrown their human programmer's capacity to manage these days, plus marketing department telling programmers when the program _is_ ready to ship. But hey, I'm just an old-timer when it comes to computers. :)

So just to say, InCD4 being a _complete_ rewrite, I was expecting new issues. But I'm not ready to say that the competition is really better, see the reference I made above to the Win2K debacle a few years ago with "that other product".

The best people can do is report how they reproduce the problems they encounter. If 3, 5, 10, 50 persons report the same issue, then the programmers will be hard-pressed to prove that they're all user errors.

Last time I posted on this forum about an InCD issue, I got support from an Ahead representative. That's more than I expected, these days you tend to get support from trained chimps following dumb checklists, so hey, Ahead got my support for now.

Having been told by a US Robotics support person once that defragmenting my HD would solve my USB modem issue made me very sour about the average tech support you can get these days, so anytime I get better-than-average support, I really appreciate it.

<going back to lurk mode>
RMerlin
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:18 pm

RMerlin wrote:
kaikow wrote:

<cough> ECD 5.0 <cough> Windows 2000 <cough> <cough>

;)

Point being, bug-free software is something I've given up on seeing years ago. Modern software has outgrown their human programmer's capacity to manage these days, plus marketing department telling programmers when the program _is_ ready to ship. But hey, I'm just an old-timer when it comes to computers. :)

So just to say, InCD4 being a _complete_ rewrite, I was expecting new issues. But I'm not ready to say that the competition is really better, see the reference I made above to the Win2K debacle a few years ago with "that other product".

The best people can do is report how they reproduce the problems they encounter. If 3, 5, 10, 50 persons report the same issue, then the programmers will be hard-pressed to prove that they're all user errors.

Last time I posted on this forum about an InCD issue, I got support from an Ahead representative. That's more than I expected, these days you tend to get support from trained chimps following dumb checklists, so hey, Ahead got my support for now.

Having been told by a US Robotics support person once that defragmenting my HD would solve my USB modem issue made me very sour about the average tech support you can get these days, so anytime I get better-than-average support, I really appreciate it.

<going back to lurk mode>

Bug-free software is indeed attainable for most software, but one must have proper management, design, implementation and quality assurance processes in place. Ahead clearly is lacking ... , they have no defense.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:30 pm

[/quote]

Bug-free software is indeed attainable for most software, but one must have proper management, design, implementation and quality assurance processes in place. Ahead clearly is lacking ... , they have no defense.[/quote]

I agree that Bug free software is attainable, but the key word here is attainable. You would have to agree that no softwares first release is bug free. It has to be worked on, and it takes time and feedback from the users. OEM and EndUsers.

If you disagree, meaning that you expect software to be bug free upon release to the public, I personally would like to here of one example of software that was released to the public absolutely bug free.

I'm sure any that you list, there is someone ready to disagree with you, and to point out specific examples where they have seen problems.

I agree that our QA process can be improved, but this goes for any company. Just as my English skills can be improved, by typing skills can be improved, etc. And Ahead, as well as other companies are constantly working towards this end.

Ahead is very proactive in trying to determine bugs and resolve them ASAP. We monitor and participate in numerous forums. I do not see that with very many other Recording software developers.

You complained about InCD changing the dates on files written to disc. We informed you we were working on this issue and would have a solution ASAP. Yet every chance you had you would bring this issue up in the forum, even when the InCD topic was about another issue. And we did come out with a fix eventually.

Peronal Point as a Forum member:
Now you are stuck on the issue with WORD files being corrupted. This does not occur with everyone, and so it was not easy to duplicate and therefor fix for us. But we finally found a system that we could duplicate this issue on. And again we reported that we are working on this issue and hope to have a solution ASAP. And we will have a solution soon.

The point I'm trying to make is that we do appreciate bugs being reported, to us and in the forums. But when they have been acknowledged by the developer and reported as being worked on, do you really need to bring up the issue every chance you get? I see customers report one issue on InCD, and you jump in with a response each time bringing up those issues you wish addressed. And I'm speaking as a member of the forum, not as an Ahead representative in this instance.

I do not know about others, but if I post an issue, I want to know about that issue and anyting pertaining to that issue only. I do not want it diluted or sidetracked by other issues, as the issue I reported may then be ignored as others respond to your issues. And the issue I reported is then forgotten. If you have a problem with Aheads or another companies QA process, create an entery pertaining to that issue and keep it contained in there. Same with any bugs. Create an issue pertaining to that specific bug you have issues with, and keep that issue contained within there. (Of course if two issues overlap, then it's understandable that it would be brought up in other topics)

Best Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:11 am

Well...here I am a few days later...seems that the Roxio Easy CD Creator suite has done it to me...My entire HDD...trashed...they make it so you can't uninstall properly...and all the Packet writing discs are getting corrupt...Easy CD Creator 6 now comes up with all kinds of errors and won't run...reminds me of how bad version 5 was and why I went to Nero to begin with. Am formatting my HDD on my desktop as we speak...and back to Nero 5.5.10.42 (always kept) and InCD 3.5.24

ECDC is junk as always...

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:44 pm

Ahead asked me to try 4.0.56 to see how it did. Sent me some files to create an issue...so on my cleanly installed WinXP Professional setup...I took out 3.5.24 and installed the 4xx...the Word bug is still there. Took out 4.0.56 and re-installed 3.5.24. I wish they would figure this out...I am NOT purchasing Nero 6 until the InCD issue is resolved...

They have all the files they need from me including the corrupt Word file I created...Now, let's see!

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:58 pm

The Office issue is not fixed in 4.0.5.6 (we reproduced it with this version too). But not only we've reproduced it, we've also got it fixed by one of our engineers. The fix should be included in the next web update of InCD 4 (currently in qualification process).

Edit: For people that enjoy to get themselves upset about InCD 4, there are still some issues that were reported by end-users but that we couldn't so far reproduce in our test labs, so don't despair! ;)
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:16 am

CCampbell wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that we do appreciate bugs being reported, to us and in the forums. But when they have been acknowledged by the developer and reported as being worked on, do you really need to bring up the issue every chance you get? I see customers report one issue on InCD, and you jump in with a response each time bringing up those issues you wish addressed. And I'm speaking as a member of the forum, not as an Ahead representative in this instance.

Just to reinforce Craig's point. I'm the BOFH of the forum, and if I see people attempting to "pressure" a company by posting a barely on topic response to a thread, on every thread that mentions a peticular product, I'm going to start deleting them. If it continues there after I'll be disabling access to the forum. The forums are for all CDRlabs readers, not just those with an agenda.

The fact that Craig is present watching these forums is truely a privledge. One that I really appreciate, so if you have a problem with a product, talk about it. If they say it's going to be fixed, well if it's never fixed vote with your feet. I'm going to wager in this instance that it will be fixed. ;)
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:17 am

Matt...

I appreciate your point! Over the past few months...since the initial release of InCD 4xx...I have contacted Ahead Support directly and after about 8 emails back and forth a certain Ahead tech (from the US) became beligerant with me and told me that in essescence that I didn't know what I was talking about. Since that E mail...and since Craig first stepped in...the resolution has taken about two weeks. In addition...I received an e mail from Ahead US tech support a few days ago giving me a new task. I did what I was asked and now Craig announced that the issue is seemingly resolved. I guarantee that Craig's involvement was the reason that the issue was re-opened.

I don't think that people are attacking...I think that they are perhaps, frustrated. I too, appreciate Craig. For some reason...once he jumped in on this thread...it got taken care of. I really appreciate that more than you know. I don't think it's a pressure thing...it's finally getting other people with the same problem to come forward. If I had believed the US tech...I would be using InCD 3.5.24 until the end of time. He was convinced that the problem was with me...not the software. Delete away if you feel the need...but this time would have been an injustice...for people with a real problem would have gone ignored. There were more than one case of the same problem with perhaps many different symptoms and maybe this helped Craig.

To Craig:

Thank You! For just being there and NOT pointing fingers. As a businessman...I, too, must evaluate myself first...before going back and asking questions. I am truly glad you are there. The two way relationship benefits the Ahead team AND it's customers.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:41 am

bob, my post wasnt' directed specifically at you, but we have a few trollish posters who exhibit this behavior and I'm using this thread as an example. Plus I never shun the opportunity to show my belligerent moderator style! :)
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:36 pm

Gotcha!

Thanks

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:36 pm

Matt wrote:...I'm the BOFH of the forum...
LOL 8)
Matt wrote:Plus I never shun the opportunity to show my belligerent moderator style! :)
or your afro! :D

joking aside, we're all grateful for Craig Campbell and David Burg for their participation in CDRLabs forums and their assistance.
Thanks Craig and David, keep up the good work!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)