Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD Right pisses me off!

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD Right pisses me off!

Postby Supacon on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:18 pm

Man... I just upgraded to the brand new version of InCD (40503) and I can't say it's all that great. I'm getting delayed write fails and corrupted files all over the place. Sometimes it just locks the drive and there's nothing I can do about opening it aside from a reboot.

Looks like they are still a ways from working out the bugs in this. What experiences do others have with InCD?
Supacon
Buffer Underrun

Postby tazdevl on Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:41 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Helps if you post your full system specs (including OS and firmware versions).

If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads that will answer your question.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:22 am

You're not alone. I have experienced the same problem with InCD 4xx since day 1 and everyone at Ahead keeps sending me the same e mails about it....over and over. Seems that I have a bad habit of saving directly from MS Word XP orMS Excel XP to CD-RW for archival purposes. When I remove the CD-RW from the machine and insert later...all the files that I have created are no longer readable with Word or Exce....On the SAME machine! Ahead tells me it's impossible. So I save the files and e mail to them. I send them a screen shot of the error when attempting to open the files, etc. They write back and deny the problem. In addition...I wrote them a very specific sheet of instructions that detail how to replicate the problem. They e mail me back asking "What Problem?"...very frustrating!!! I have given up on InCD 4xx and went back to 3.5.24 and will leave it there until I can't use it any more. No more upgrades of Nero for me. Version 5.5.10.50 and that's it. I'll keep my money thank you!

Bob
Last edited by bobmitchell on Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby jimshu1 on Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:23 pm

No luck with any of 4.x versions of InCD either. Staying with 3.5.24 until I start reading that it is working for most folks.
-ASUS Model DVD-E616P2 DVD-ROM
-NEC Model ND-3500A DVD+-RW
-ASUS Model CRW-5232A3 CD-RW
jimshu1
Buffer Underrun

InCD

Postby Daiwa on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:01 am

InCD 3.5.24.0 has been very stable & reliable (Win2K) since installing it & getting rid of leftover Iomega & WMP/Roxio drivers. I get the occasional quirky error message saying the disc is full when doing large volume drag-drop copying to an RW disc when in fact it is not full, but no real frustration. So little performance improvement is likely to be had with *any* update, I see no reason to ever update InCD again, until I have no other choice. Formatting in MRW is very fast & read-write is as quick as any reasonable person needs, so 3.5.24.0 is just fine, thank you, & I'd recommend staying with that version for the foreseeable future. I sometimes get the feeling Ahead has the philosophy "If it ain't broke, let's fix it 'till it is" (not that it ain't been broke before, mind you).

Cheers :wink:
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:15 am

bobmitchell wrote:You're not alone. I have experienced the same problem with InCD 4xx since day 1 and everyone at Ahead keeps sending me the same e mails about it....over and over. Seems that I have a bad habit of saving directly from MS Word XP orMS Excel XP to CD-RW for archival purposes. When I remove the CD-RW from the machine and insert later...all the files that I have created are no longer readable with Word or Exce....On the SAME machine! Ahead tells me it's impossible. So I save the files and e mail to them. I send them a screen shot of the error when attempting to open the files, etc. They write back and deny the problem. In addition...I wrote them a very specific sheet of instructions that detail how to replicate the problem. They e mail me back asking "What Problem?"...very frustrating!!! I have given up on InCD 4xx and went back to 3.5.24 and will leave it there until I can't use it any more. No more upgrades of Nero for me. Version 5.5.10.50 and that's it. I'll keep my money thank you!

Bob

Do you have a Word or Excel file that ALWAYS produces this behavior when you open te file on a hard drive, but try to save a copy to the CD-RW?

If so, I'm willing to look at it. You may email a .zip-ed version of the file and it's template to kaikow@standards.com.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 am

It's not that hard to create one. Simply...

1. Install InCD 4xx
2. Open Word and create a half page test file. It should be somethig that makes sense.
3. Save the file directly to the CD-RW in the drive...note that while "saving"...the light on the drive won't flash at all.
4. Close Word.
5. Check that the file is on the CD-RW
6. Open the file...looks OK...
7. Remove the CD-RW from the drive
8. Reinsert the CD-RW in the drive.
9. Check and make sure the file is still there
10. Open the file...and read and weep...Word can't recognize the file and asks you what to open the file with. Choose any format Word offers and look at all the binary code. The file is trash.
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby stricklando on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:09 am

I have to respond and agree whole heartly about INCD 4xxx. The program wasnt well thought out. I am currently using the INCD 3.5.xxx and I am very happy with the results. I guess Bill Gates is rubbing off on other companies. Until they will correct the "BUGS" in the program and it works- Why fix what isnt broken. Although the rest of Neros 6.0.xxxx works well with my system.
stricklando
Buffer Underrun

Postby bobmitchell on Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:43 am

Just beware!

In order to install 3.5.24...you must have Nero 5.5.XX.XX installed. I made the mistake of installing Nero 6.XX and then tried 3.5.24 and it kept giving me a message that there was no Nero installed. Removed 6.XX and reinstalled 5.5.10.42 and then InCD 3.5.24 and it went well. Once I had InCD installed...removed Nero 5.5.XX and installed 6.XX and things are fine.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby stricklando on Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:02 pm

I have to agree with you Bob. That is why I will not try to switch over to INCD 4XXX again. The procedure of uninstalling and reinstalling in order to just use a burner for packet writing! too much work for me- I expect a program that is released to actually work. So, unitl I hear from others and their experiences with the new INCD 4.XXX, I will wait. Good luck to the rest that under take the InCD 4.XXX installation until a new rev comes out.
stricklando
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:06 pm

bobmitchell wrote:It's not that hard to create one. Simply...

1. Install InCD 4xx
2. Open Word and create a half page test file. It should be somethig that makes sense.
3. Save the file directly to the CD-RW in the drive...note that while "saving"...the light on the drive won't flash at all.
4. Close Word.
5. Check that the file is on the CD-RW
6. Open the file...looks OK...
7. Remove the CD-RW from the drive
8. Reinsert the CD-RW in the drive.
9. Check and make sure the file is still there
10. Open the file...and read and weep...Word can't recognize the file and asks you what to open the file with. Choose any format Word offers and look at all the binary code. The file is trash.

The problem does not happen all the time.

Problem does not occur if InCD has finished the formatting.
I guess that this a case caused by premature ejection.

InCD should not allow ejection until the formatting is finished.

Could be a timing issue between InCD trying to finish formatting and Word trying to save changes to file.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby alchip80 on Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:49 pm

Kaikow:

I have been seeing the same problem. I had no problems prior to v4. I too am using Office XP and have discovered several things.

1. When saving directly to CD as a .DOC file and then wait for the transfer to complete I then eject the CD and reinsert it. when opened with Word again it is corrupted. I can consistently replicate this. With a one short sentence the file size is 20k.

1. If I save directly to the hard drive and then copy to CD. There is no issue. But If I open the file and edit it and save directly to CD. The file is corrupted when opened by Word after the CD is ejected.

2. When I save as a Word 97/2002 v6 .DOC format. The File is 4k. Then following the same save procedure and ejection of the CD. However, I can correctly open this file consistently. I can also edit to this file and save in same format.

3. When Using Word and saving as a .TXT format. There is no issues.

It appears that InCD is corrupting the Word XP v.10 files due to the way the formatting is saved by Word. When saved to the HD first all the proper Word formatting is saved. It appears the InCD may have a hard time with Word XP v.10 Formatting. Also there has been no issue's with InCD prior to V.4.

I was working with Craig on this and had to stop when I had to leave the country on business, I just got back when I read what bobmitchell was running into.

It rather irritating.
alchip80
CD-RW Thug

Postby kaikow on Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:20 am

alchip80 wrote:Kaikow:

I have been seeing the same problem. I had no problems prior to v4. I too am using Office XP and have discovered several things.

1. When saving directly to CD as a .DOC file and then wait for the transfer to complete I then eject the CD and reinsert it. when opened with Word again it is corrupted. I can consistently replicate this. With a one short sentence the file size is 20k.

1. If I save directly to the hard drive and then copy to CD. There is no issue. But If I open the file and edit it and save directly to CD. The file is corrupted when opened by Word after the CD is ejected.

2. When I save as a Word 97/2002 v6 .DOC format. The File is 4k. Then following the same save procedure and ejection of the CD. However, I can correctly open this file consistently. I can also edit to this file and save in same format.

3. When Using Word and saving as a .TXT format. There is no issues.

It appears that InCD is corrupting the Word XP v.10 files due to the way the formatting is saved by Word. When saved to the HD first all the proper Word formatting is saved. It appears the InCD may have a hard time with Word XP v.10 Formatting. Also there has been no issue's with InCD prior to V.4.

I was working with Craig on this and had to stop when I had to leave the country on business, I just got back when I read what bobmitchell was running into.

It rather irritating.

I have found that it does not happen all of the time, even for the same file.
Note that I tested using Office 2000, as Office 2000 is installed on a partition with Nero 6.0.0.15 and InCD 4.0.5.23. Office XP is installed on a partition with Nero 5.5.10.42 and InCD 3.5.24.0.

InCD is not completing the recording of the file descriptors, which, in effect, corrupts the file when Word tries to open the file.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:56 am

InCD4053 released today.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:00 pm

kaikow wrote:InCD4053 released today.

The problem discussed in this thread was not fixed in today's release.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby alchip80 on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:18 pm

I just notice that :roll:

I will revert back to 3.5.24.0. with this version I have no problems with the Office XP issue's. which also means I will have to also change back Nero to 5.5.10.42. :(
alchip80
CD-RW Thug

Postby CCampbell on Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:18 pm

But the bug has been reported as well as a bug report generated, and is being looked into by our team. So hope is still there. :)

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby kaikow on Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:01 pm

alchip80 wrote:I just notice that :roll:

I will revert back to 3.5.24.0. with this version I have no problems with the Office XP issue's. which also means I will have to also change back Nero to 5.5.10.42. :(

It's not an Office XP issue.
Same problem using Office 2000.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby bobmitchell on Tue Sep 09, 2003 6:18 pm

Let's add these two posts together...

Bob

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12511
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:57 pm

This office issue have been reproduced in our labs and fixed. The fix should be included in next web update of InCD 4.
David Burg
Software Development, InCD Project Manager

Nero AG - Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad - Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299 http://www.nero.com
dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby RMerlin on Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:14 pm

Would it be possible to get a changelog along with new InCD releases, like we get with Nero? This will help people keeping track on wether their issue got fixed or not with new releases.

Regards,

--
RMerlin
Buffer Underrun

Postby kaikow on Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:53 pm

RMerlin wrote:Would it be possible to get a changelog along with new InCD releases, like we get with Nero? This will help people keeping track on wether their issue got fixed or not with new releases.

Regards,

--

It would also help to have a single web page that had links to each of the latest and previous versions, as well as each "patch", for each product.

Now, we have to go to several different web pages to determine whether, e.g., Multimounter and EasyWrite Reader have been revised and where to get current/previous versions.

Each of the 4 pieces of the Ultra Edition should also be included in such a list.
kaikow
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:06 am

I must say that InCD has never worked properly for me.I love the control that Nero gives over burning.But sadly InCD is not a good piece of software from Ahead.It could be good,but has never worked for me.
Drag-to-Disc is good,as I use it regularly,even to back up important data.Never faced problems with it.
See ya guys later,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:14 pm

RMerlin wrote:Would it be possible to get a changelog along with new InCD releases, like we get with Nero? This will help people keeping track on wether their issue got fixed or not with new releases.

Regards,

--

This has been added a few days ago:

http://www.nero.com/en/631981196828559.html

(I think it was put online a few days after InCD 4.0.5.3 release, then updated after InCD 4.0.5.6 release.)
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Postby dburg on Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:20 pm

kaikow wrote:It would also help to have a single web page that had links to each of the latest and previous versions, as well as each "patch", for each product.

Now, we have to go to several different web pages to determine whether, e.g., Multimounter and EasyWrite Reader have been revised and where to get current/previous versions.

Each of the 4 pieces of the Ultra Edition should also be included in such a list.

Sorry, I am not responsible of the website organization. I suggest to submit your comments and ideas to our webmaster at webmaster@nero.com
David Burg

76307 Karlsbad - Germany

dburg
CD-RW Player

Next

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)