Home News Reviews Forums Shop

UPS, Fed Ex, or Airborne Ground?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

What company do you prefer for your shipments?

UPS
50%
Fed Ex
40%
Airborne
10%

Total votes : 10

UPS, Fed Ex, or Airborne Ground?

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:25 pm

Only comparing the ground shipping option from these companies which do you prefer, the exact titles are listed below:

UPS Ground
Airborne Ground
Fed Ex Ground

Which do you prefer for your shipments?

Me, UPS, 100%!

If you have only used one, select that one. I have used all three, and my choice is UPS.

Because newegg is popular here, don't judge off of that, as they use Express Saver, which is NOT ground.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:38 pm

Fedex usually early for me (At least with Newegg, But I think also with Performancebike if not early, they are at least on time)...UPS usually only on time. Ive had no experience with airborne though (kinda funny that a company called "Airborne" would have a ground option....)
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:48 pm

Turkeyscore.com wrote:Fedex usually early for me (At least with Newegg, But I think also with Performancebike if not early, they are at least on time)...UPS usually only on time. Ive had no experience with airborne though (kinda funny that a company called "Airborne" would have a ground option....)

As I said: Because newegg is popular here, don't judge off of that, as they use Express Saver, which is NOT ground.

They use express saver, which they basically send them however they want, normally by plane. Fed Ex Express Saver is the equivalent to UPS 3 Day Select, and Airborne Express 3 Day.

If it arrives early, it has to do with your location relative to them, which would be within 1 or 2 days by ground.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby David on Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:49 pm

I vote UPS. I recently had a ground package arive localy then ride on the local delivery truck one whole day before being delivered the next day, the reason "it wasn't scheduled for delivery that day" :evil:. Also no problmes with Airborn ground service.
David
CD-RW Player

Postby burninfool on Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:00 am

I prefer FedEx,then UPS and I would never use Airborne because of their ding-dong-ditch policy.I ordered a PC case and it was delivered by Airborne Express(not my choice) to my empty home and the S.O.B's left a damaged box on my porch where everyone could see,when I got home I called them up and asked them if that was normal and they said "as long as the shipper doesn't request a signature".Of I couldn't contest the damaged box and dented case because nobody signed the delivery:evil:
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Wed Sep 17, 2003 1:20 am

aviationwiz wrote:
Turkeyscore.com wrote:Fedex usually early for me (At least with Newegg, But I think also with Performancebike if not early, they are at least on time)...UPS usually only on time. Ive had no experience with airborne though (kinda funny that a company called "Airborne" would have a ground option....)

As I said: Because newegg is popular here, don't judge off of that, as they use Express Saver, which is NOT ground.

They use express saver, which they basically send them however they want, normally by plane. Fed Ex Express Saver is the equivalent to UPS 3 Day Select, and Airborne Express 3 Day.

If it arrives early, it has to do with your location relative to them, which would be within 1 or 2 days by ground.

I was also deciding using some mountain bike stores ive ordered from...If I had a choice, I would use Fedex if they were the same price. (I would usually use the cheapest one or whichever is offered...)
What are the prices for shipping using the different services?
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:01 am

I use Airborne all the time, and DHL at times. Both are pretty good.

Of course I also use UPS & Fedex as well.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:56 am

I have never had a problem with either carrier, therefore I abstain from voting. I do like FedEx Home Delivery (which is Ground, but specifically for homes and apartments). Why do I like it? Because they deliver on Saturdays!

It's a shame USPS Priority Mail can't be included in this poll because it's not a ground service. They would get my vote, however! Usually 2-day shipping for less than UPS, FedEx, or Airborne (at least with lighter packages)! I use USPS Priority Mail all the time for sending goods.

Oh, I had a recent experience with Airborne@Home. It's Ground service, but they teamed with USPS to deliver packages. Airborne picks the package up from the shipper and delivers it to the recipient's local Post Office. USPS takes it from there and delivers the package to the recipient's house. Not bad, but could be better. I think having another middle-man slows down the process slightly.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby VEFF on Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:52 pm

I have sent via UPS and Fedex without problems.
I once used USPS, but didn't find out till after they had rung up the sale etc., that they only offer tracking with some services, or as an extra, so I haven't wasted my time with them since...
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby airtommy on Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:00 am

My UPS driver always does "ding song ditch". He almost sprints away down the driveway as I am opening my door.

FedEx is a lot cheaper than the others, in my experience. Even cheaper than USPS Parcel Post (no tracking or insurance)
airtommy
CD-RW Thug

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:36 am

My last expirience with Fed Ex Home Delivery Ground.

I had two packages coming in, that shipped from the same place on the same day. One of them came in a timely manner, on the day it was supposed to. The other one however, they put it on the wrong truck cause thier a bunch of idiots and it came a day late. That in my mind is terrible service. If you promise a certain delivery date, you keep that date. I don't care if they have to put it on a plane, when they promise a Monday delivery, they should have it come Monday.

My friend has also had Fed Ex Ground come at 10:00 PM :o

Normal Fed Ex Ground for me comes at like 5 PM, which is awfully late.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:52 pm

I think UPS comes earlier where I live now (than fedex). In washington, Fedex came earlier...disregard my vote for fedex...I no longer have any preference
zzzt *pop*
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:01 pm

Just ordered a book from Amazon and I expected it to ship UPS Ground but it actually shipped via Airborne Home Standard. The definition of this service from Airborne's site:

Airborne has partnered with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) to create a new kind of service for the e-commerce age. airborne@home is designed for business-to-residence shippers who desire a secure, cost effective shipping solution. Catalog, e-commerce, direct sales and multi-level marketers who ship primarily to residential locations are eligible for airborne@home.

Shipments weighing up to 70 lbs. are picked up by Airborne and delivered to the USPS post office closest to the recipient's home. The local post office then delivers directly to your customers, including P.O. Boxes. Choice of Standard delivery within 2 - 4 business days, or Deferred delivery within 2 - 7 business days.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:59 am

Yes, read my post above concerning Airborne@Home. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:37 pm

FedEx seems to come early for me most of the time.
But I really like UPS' service and their tracking system. Some of their delivery people are really nice too.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby No One on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:31 pm

Those people who have voted for UPS must not know anyone living in Canada. UPS is welll known for screwing Canadians with horrendous brokerage fees. I had a shipment that was about $80 CDN and UPS wanted close to $30 to clear the dam package through customs! They even charge you to collect the money from you! I abhore UPS and will gou out of my NOT to use them.
:evil:
No One
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:41 am

Another reason why I ship with USPS instead of UPS, FedEx, or Airborne. No matter where I ship, even overseas, USPS doesn't charge ridiculous taxes or brokerage fees. I'm glad you brought that up, No One. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden