Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Mitsui CD-R opinions

Burn baby burn!

Mitsui CD-R opinions

Postby weaponx21 on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:18 pm

Hey guys,

On cdrecordable.com, they carry a bunch of brands, including TY, but also a brand by the name of Mitsui. These discs are comparable in price to TY, but they also tote a "scratch resistant coating" on the bottom. Now i dont know how scratch resistant this makes the disc, but if it helps at all, or makes it less prone to scratching than the TY, I'd be all for it, since I use my burned CDs in the car alot. Does anyone know what the burn quality of the Mitsui discs are in comparison to TY or Ritek? I know TY is considered the best for my lite-on, but these Mitsui's sounded interesting. Thanks

WX
weaponx21
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:24 pm

I've heard good things about the quality of Mitsui discs. :D However, I've never used them myself.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:42 pm

Mitsui USED to be a major competitor with Taiyo Yuden for quality, however recently when Mitsui was effectivly bought out by C.S.I. their quality dropped to a point of pure disgrace for the company. I wouldn't choose Mitsui over Prodisc anymore, let alone Ritek or Taiyo Yuden! Some of our customers (in the place I work, which happens to be B.C.'s official Mitsui Distributor) have reported as many as 1 out of every 20 Mitsui CD-Rs just not completing the burn process, or even getting past the first few minutes! This is saying nothing of the burn quality of the ones that *do* complete the burn process! :evil:

So I would *not* recommend purchasing Mitsui CD-Rs anymore, unless they are the Medical grade, or the True Gold Mitsui's which have not degraded nearly as much since he time of the takeover... although they too are not the quality they once were :cry:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:03 pm

I agree with dolphinius_rex. I've tried some Mitsui 80-minute silver discs, and was not impressed. Lots of C2 errors at the end. I wouldn't accept this from media costing $0.10 a disc, let alone for the $0.55 to $1.00 per disc that Mitsui media goes for.

I think Mitsui is living (barely - the American operation has shut down) on its previous reputation, and that reputation is no longer deserved.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:08 pm

Older Mitsui discs = very very good!
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:50 am

TheWizard wrote:Older Mitsui discs = very very good!

Agreed! but I'm still not sure they ever really warrented the price...
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:40 am

Speaking of OLDER Mitsui CD-Rs.... I have just completed a review on some Mitsui IMAC 74min 12x CD-Rs on my webpage. Check it out if you're interested :wink:

www.thedolphinreview.com

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives