Home News Reviews Forums Shop

UltraSpeed - a myth?

Burn baby burn!

UltraSpeed - a myth?

Postby CameraMan on Sat Sep 27, 2003 2:39 pm

How is it that they can sell these 32xRW drives, the UltraSpeed types, yet the media is next to impossible to find? How do they even MAKE these drives when the discs don't seem to exist?

I suspect that it will be a long while before we see 24x and 32x RW discs that actually work as claimed.

Seems like the CD-R speeds are topping out, so they just bump up the RW speeds. Odd.
-John

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Slurpee Capital of the world!
BenQ DW400A, LG 24x, 48x & 52x
CameraMan
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:02 pm

I burn CD-RWs at 24x whenever I want to. I have some Verbatim DataLifePlus 24x CD-RWs that work fine in my Plextor Premium. And for the record, 32x CD-RWs are *NOT* UltraSpeed.... they are UltraSpeed+, a very important distinction ;-)

32x CD-RWs are on their way, 24x CD-RWs are already here :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby Boone on Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:19 pm

CD-R writing speeds have reached the point where the motors generate too much vibration for an accurate laser. RW is much below 52x, so they work on the chemical process required to support higher speed writes.

CD-RW's can already spin fast, they're just waiting for the media to catch up.

I believe it's a moot point anyway... DVD+RW drives with decent-enough CD-R(W) speeds are the wave of the future anyway.
Boone
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:18 pm

I frequently backup files on Verbatim DLPlus Ultraspeed 24x CDRWs on my Liteon 52327S and Samsung 348B. So far no big issues.

Even when the 24X rw speed drives came out at first, corresponding media were unavailable. I think it's safe to assume manufacturers now know enough to fine tune their drives accordingly (including future technologies).

Cheers.
integspec
CD-RW Player

24x OK, 32x on the way

Postby XIII on Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:22 pm

I am using Verbatim DLP 24x 80min for backup purposes and Verbatim DLP 24x 74min for transfer purposes weekly. They work just fine!

32x discs are on their way. October is the date I believe to have read in a press release by Verbatim Europe. Unfortunately I am unable to find the link right now...
XIII
CD-RW Thug

Postby VEFF on Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:15 pm

Yes, I find it troubling that companies release burners well before the maximum speed media that it supports comes to market.
This is especially prevalent with CD-RW media.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby Gilbert on Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:30 am

Being also in Canada, I can understand what you are speaking about... I also was looking for ultraspeed CDRW media in Montreal and spent considerable time with not much luck. I finally found only 2 places where it is available: http://www.ncix.com/ which is in BC and http://www.frostys.qc.ca/ which is in a suburb of Montreal on an Indian reserve which means no PST or GST... I admit to having "convinced" the Indian owner to get them as he had none when I was looking for them.

For non-Canadians, the media situation is not similar to what one can find in the USA as far as prices and variety. The Canadian gvt levies a special tax on media to supposedly help the music industry. As far as finding TY manufactured CDs, it is almost hopeless unless one agrees to buy online from the US and agrees to pay about 25$US for transportation... I end up asking my niece's husband, who lives in FL, to bring some from time to time or buy some when I go to visit them.

--
Gilbert
Gilbert
Buffer Underrun

Postby blakerwry on Sun Oct 05, 2003 12:46 am

The local place where I shop for electronics has had Verbatim ULTRAspeed media for atleast 6 months.. They have not carried any Verbatimn HIGH speed media for atleast that long. It is really pissing me off.

I can no longer find decent highspeed media for my RW drives....
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives