Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Win XP Backup software

Anything else

Win XP Backup software

Postby georgeg on Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:12 pm

I know this question comes up from time to time and Yes, I have searched the archives here, but once again, what software do you recommend for backing up your hard drive in Win XP Pro? I just had to do a re-install to fix a problem and restoring a backup would have been simpler (in theory, at least.)
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:51 pm

If you want to back up or restore an entire partition or an entire drive, you might want to try Norton Ghost. I've used it before to restore a partition, and it's great!
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:00 pm

I agree with the above.

Also, there is Drive Image by Powerquest that does the same thing as Ghost in the same fashion with one exception. You can run Drive Image from GUIs as opposed to DOS command line entries and their associated archaic symbology.
Slim
Number of burners bought in 2003: 3
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby georgeg on Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:44 pm

CDRecorder wrote:If you want to back up or restore an entire partition or an entire drive, you might want to try Norton Ghost. I've used it before to restore a partition, and it's great!

I hadn't thought of Ghost. I've got Norton SystemWorks 2003 which I'm pretty sure includes Ghost. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks. (I bought Norton for the Utilities and didn't install Ghost!)
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby georgeg on Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:08 am

georgeg wrote:
CDRecorder wrote:If you want to back up or restore an entire partition or an entire drive, you might want to try Norton Ghost. I've used it before to restore a partition, and it's great!

I hadn't thought of Ghost. I've got Norton SystemWorks 2003 which I'm pretty sure includes Ghost. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks. (I bought Norton for the Utilities and didn't install Ghost!)

Well, forget about that. Ghost is included in SystemWorks Professional, not the home version I have so I'm b back to looking at backup software. Maybe Ghost, maybe DriveImage (which I've used before) or maybe something else.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:24 am

georgeg wrote:Ghost is included in SystemWorks Professional, not the home version.

Interesting... No wonder I couldn't find Ghost anywhere on my copy of SystemWorks 2002 (probably the home version, as it didn't say "Professional" anywhere on it).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby georgeg on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:32 pm

CDRecorder wrote:
georgeg wrote:Ghost is included in SystemWorks Professional, not the home version.

Interesting... No wonder I couldn't find Ghost anywhere on my copy of SystemWorks 2002 (probably the home version, as it didn't say "Professional" anywhere on it).

This web page says Ghost is included in the OEM version of Systemworks 2003

http://www.antivirusovernight.com/Merch ... ortonghost

It sure isn't in mine.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:00 pm

My copy of SystemWorks is retail; maybe Ghost doesn't come with the retail version. :(
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby tazdevl on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:08 am

CowboySlim wrote:I agree with the above.

Also, there is Drive Image by Powerquest that does the same thing as Ghost in the same fashion with one exception. You can run Drive Image from GUIs as opposed to DOS command line entries and their associated archaic symbology.

The other benefit of DI 7.0 (BTW been updated to 7.01) is that it has support for restoring an image to a SATA RAID array on a Intel ICH5R Southbridge, something it's competitors can't.

Norton and Acronis can back it up, but can't restore.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:42 am

Norton and Acronis can back it up, but can't restore.

Perfect!
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby georgeg on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:58 pm

CDRecorder wrote:My copy of SystemWorks is retail; maybe Ghost doesn't come with the retail version. :(

Apparently it has to be SystemWorks Professional to have Ghost included in it. Btw, if you do a search on eBay you can buy SystemWorks 2003 Professional for under $10.00. Its just a cd, no retail box but they claim its the real thing, not a copy. Since the current version that Norton is selling is 2004, I assume these disks are some sort of clearance.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:08 am

I see. Thanks for clarifying that!
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby georgeg on Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:19 am

I also looked at a program called BackUpMyPC. Looks decent but their plan to recover from a major system failure (where you can't get windows to load successfully) involves doing a complete format and reinstall of Windows from the original Windows install disk with their recovery data tagged on at the end of the install. If you have any problems installing windows, you've just added a bunch of time to the amount required to get back up and running. So it looks like I'm going to give Ghost a serious try. It runs in DOS which in this case is an advantage, I think. And its available for a MUCH cheaper price than any of the alternatives I've found. We'll see how it works out.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:00 am

It runs in DOS which in this case is an advantage, I think. And its available for a MUCH cheaper price than any of the alternatives I've found. We'll see how it works out.

I agree, if one is fluent in DOS. However, I am not; therefore, I prefer Drive Image. It works the same as Ghost by performing a direct restore without a preceeding lengthy OS re-install. For disaster recovery and restore, it works like Ghost in that you boot into it with floppies (that it generates as a prior execution) and it runs in DOS. However, it doesn't require archaic and cryptic, command line DOS commands. It presents the user with GUI screens that are mouseable (PS2).
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:51 pm

Does Drive Image work with USB mice, too?

Despite the fact that I don't have a copy of Ghost, I have used Ghost before (on someone else's machine). I used Ghost 6 and 2002, and they look like they were meant to be used with a mouse (GUI, command buttons, menus, etc), but I had to use the keyboard because I didn't have a mouse driver installed on one of the boot disk, and the driver on the other boot disk didn't recognize the USB mouse.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:08 pm

Oh-oh, I forgot that part. No. However, you can navigate the GUI by tabs, arrows, alt _key, all the standard keyboard stuff. I went down to a local store that does repairs and got a PS2 mouse from their box of old ones. $1, no MIR!

Oh-oh, almost did it again. I have PS2 keyboard, USB KB probably won't work either.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:07 pm

You could probably get a USB keyboard to work. On my computers, I can change a setting in the BIOS which allows the BIOS to manage USB keyboards instead of the OS. I think that this would allow the USB keyboard to work for everything, even DOS. :D I would guess that other computers have similar settings as well.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:39 pm

Thanks, CDRecoder, I'll check my BIOS. PartitionMagic is made by the same company as Drive Image and it also can be run from floppies in DOS modem which I prefer. Then I can see if that store has any used USB KBs. They sell used KBs for $2.

Oh-oh, maybe not. All four USBs in back used: APC UPS, MS IntelliMouse, scanner, printer.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby georgeg on Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:53 pm

CowboySlim wrote:.

Oh-oh, maybe not. All four USBs in back used: APC UPS, MS IntelliMouse, scanner, printer.

Maybe its time for a powered hub which would let you move the scanner and printer off the back of the PC at least. I only have two USB ports on the back of my antique so I use a hub for the printer and scanner and haven't had any problems with them. I do plug them into the back of the 'puter when doing the initial setup but a USB extension cord has taken the pain out of that.
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:40 pm

Maybe its time for a powered hub which would let you move the scanner and printer off the back of the PC at least. I only have two USB ports on the back of my antique so I use a hub for the printer and scanner and haven't had any problems with them. I do plug them into the back of the 'puter when doing the initial setup but a USB extension cord has taken the pain out of that.

There is always just one more gizmo to buy. Yesterday I received a 256MB CF card from Amazon for my camera. Friend and I are going up to Utah in a month to photograph a cattle drive. Not a good time and place to dash of to Wal*Mart for another card.

Oh well, check on the $2 KBs tonight, it is right next to a take out place that I go to Friday nights. Then off to Fry's for a powered hub.
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions