Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How long can you go w/o 'net access?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

How long can you go w/o 'net access?

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:27 am

I just switched from Comcast to Verizon DSL, and was without a net connection since last Wednesday. About going out of my mind wondering what all I was missing! Sure seemed ALOT longer than it was. Ironically, got "caught up" in about 10 minutes (check CDRLabs, check Toms Hardware, check if DVDShrink 3 final is out yet, go read comic strips online). So upset about it and spent all of 10 minutes to be bored again! :)

On the plus side, Verizon does have a kick-butt news server...already got two episodes of Voyager done :)
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:41 am

Ah, glad to hear the Usenet thing worked out for you. I know you asked about Verizon's before, and I'm sorry I didn't get back to you with a more complete answer; I caught a cold, unfortunately. :( I, too, am a Verizon DSL customer, so I'll definitely check out their NNTP server now that I know it's good!

Regarding your question in this thread, I can't last long without Internet access. While I was waiting for my DSL to be set up, I still went online via analog modem. Gotta check my Email, browse the web, and chat with friends even if the speed is only 56k. :P
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

I had to go 11 days!

Postby cageymaru on Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:26 am

I had to go 11 days with internet. I live in Pendleton, NC and Hurricane Isabel knocked out power to us from 9/18/2003- 9/29/2003. Right now I'm looking up all the news and tech articles that I missed. I ONLY (without exception) turn on my TV during Dallas Cowboy football games, Duke University B-Ball games, NBA finals and World Series. Otherwise the darn thing isn't hooked up. So I didn't miss my TV. The radio in my car is only meant to play cd's that I burn on my computer. It basically stayed quiet during the whole ordeal due to a lack on new music. I was one grumpy dude during the whole hurricane ordeal. I missed my CDRlabs, Cdfreaks, HardOCP, newsgroups diet. People shouldn't have to live like that without internet access. It just ain't right. I couldn't find a generator that wasn't costing 4 times as much as its regular price. Plus I was scared to plug my baby into one anyway. I could go into how to flush a toilet with a bucket of water that you had to hand pump out of a well (just like in the 1800's!), but that is a different subject. I love electricity!
cageymaru
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:54 am

Wow, that must be hard. :o

For me, going even one day without internet is hard. I had to go without my cable connection for a few weeks this summer due to house repairs, and it was certainly hard to back to a dial-up connection (30-40K on my laptop).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:10 pm

Longest I've ever gone is maybe 24-48 hours, and that was when I was traveling. I remember once when I used the computer at JNB a few hours before depature, then I didn't touch a computer until I got back to my house, around 35-40 hours later due to the fact that the flight is VERY long, and I had to stop in CVG (Cinciantti) on the way back to MSP from JFK
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby BurninMan921 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:34 pm

Well, I did learn an important lesson: if you switch ISP's, make sure the new one is UP AND RUNNING before cancelling the old one! :)

And yeah, the news server works pretty good...could be faster, though...and it's retention time is pretty low, but oh well. Haven't hit any download limits, but then I've had it for only about 24 hours. Guess I'll find out, though!

Maybe I'll just spring for Teranews again...
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:48 pm

Absolutely right, BurninMan! :D It certainly is unpleasant to be without internet access for a while, especially if the new ISP delays their installation for longer than expected.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby VEFF on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:20 am

Whenever I go on vacation, I don't surf (the web) at all.

Examples:
I have been away for 2 one week trips this year, both times I didn't miss the net.

I also remember going away twice in the past two and a half years for 10 days each, and only logging on once to check e-mail from the person whose house I was staying at on one trip, and registering for cdrlabs on the other trip, but not surfing much.

What can I say; they were nice trips and the weather was mostly nice :)
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:27 am

VEFF wrote:Whenever I go on vacation, I don't surf (the web) at all.

I'm with you on that, VEFF!

VEFF wrote:...only logging on once to check e-mail from the person whose house I was staying at on one trip, and registering for cdrlabs on the other trip

Hey, what an honor for CDRLabs! It was worthwhile enough for you to take the time to register for it while on vacation when you don't normally cruise the web. :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:12 am

I can about a day or so.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:06 am

When my anatomy starts accepting O2 instead of P2P for survival, I'll let you guys know...
integspec
CD-RW Player

withdrawl

Postby wicked1 on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:00 am

My DSL went down Saturday night and was out until Monday morning. I thought I was going to die!!! I was on my Sony Clie(palm pilot) linked to my cell phone browsing the web at a painfully slow 9600 bps!An even more pathetic story was I was out hunting deer one day and I always take my Sony with me in case I get bored and I forgot to turn the sound alerts off. There was a nice buck standing in front of me then the Sony goes BEEEEP. Deer says see ya!That is how totally addicted to the internet that I am.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Re: withdrawl

Postby CDRecorder on Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:06 am

wicked1 wrote:My DSL went down Saturday night and was out until Monday morning. I thought I was going to die!!!

I was pretty upset when my cable internet was out for one evening! :o
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby jtan on Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:40 pm

i can go for no internet for as long as 1 month or even more.. as long as i'm not at home. when i'm at home, i can't live without internet for 2 days.
jtan
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:39 am

1 week.

I've embedded myself too heavily on the internet being on multiple forums and stuff.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Return to The Beer Garden