Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Is there a reason there arent SCSI burners anymore?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Is there a reason there arent SCSI burners anymore?

Postby wicked1 on Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:49 am

I was wondering why none of the companys make SCSI CDRW and DVDRW drives anymore?My life would be SOOO much easier if they still did.
Pioneer dvr-108,NEC 3540,BenQ 1640,LiteOn 1693S
Intel pentium D 930 oc to 4.2 ghz
2 gb ddr2 1066 mhz ram
geforce 7600GT
sb audigy 2 zs platnum
hardware mpeg2 encoder card

Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good
wicked1
CD-RW Player

Postby Dartman on Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:41 am

Because most folks never wanted to have to buy a whole seperate card that might be hard to get setup and was very expensive. I did it becuase I wanted the extra capacity and the fast burners it could run. I still have a UW SCSI in here running a tape backup and a 4.3 wide HD. IDE is just as fast now as most SCSI devices and is still usually cheaper plus you just plug it in and it works for any body with no headaches. All my SCSI burners are history now, in fact no one will even buy the 12x Plex I still have in a box and the 40 wide reader to go with it.
It is also probably way cheaper to build and no support problems either.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:37 pm

Plextor makes 40x Ultra SCSI CD-RW drives.
PlexWriter 40/12/40S.
http://www.plextor.be/English/products/pxw401240s.html (internal)
http://www.plextor.be/English/products/pxw401240se.html (external)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Dartman on Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:19 am

They still make a SCSI 40. I thought they had completely dropped all of them. Well that's how they got their rep so I guess they have to keep at least one in the mix so that the Diehards are happy :)
Dartman
CD-RW Player

SCSI Optical = Dead

Postby NeilPeart on Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:16 am

SCSI is no longer required by the average user, as BurnProof and UDMA has rendered SCSI's advantages in those areas null (the cost of the SCSI card and the "extra fee" for the SCSI drive itself also led to SCSI-optical's death). There really is no need for SCSI burners for users nowadays, and that's why the SCSI burner market was stagnant for so long (the last SCSI burner Plextor released before their current 40X burner was a 12X model). I predict this 40X will be the last SCSI drive Plextor ever releases. The only true need for SCSI burners are for enthusiasts with more than 4 IDE drives and CD duplicators/towers, which benefit from SCSI's command queuing, multiple IDs and extra buffers that the drives have. If you want the best CD burner right now, the Plextor Premium is the one, IMHO. 8)
Drives I Own:

Asus S520/A, Plextor UltraPlex 40TSi, Lite-on XJ-HD166S, Pioneer DVD-106S, Toshiba SD-M1712, Plextor PX-R820Ti, Plextor PX-W1210TS, Plextor Premium, Samsung SM-352B, Teac CD-W540E, Yamaha CRW-F1, Plextor PX-708A, Sony DRU-510A
NeilPeart
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion