Home News Reviews Forums Shop

a new computer

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:48 am

I do have a few comments, and they're all good! :D I hope your new PC works well when you build it!

Power Supply: Good choice! I've heard good things about Antec PSUs, and my two are great!

CPU: Good choice also. I've been thinking about building a new computer, and this is one of the CPUs I've been considering (the others are the 2.4GHz and 2.8GHz versions of the same CPU).

HDD: I've heard that the Seagate drives are really quiet; I've never heard anything bad about reliability, either. :D

Monitor: Looks nice! I have a 1-year-old Samtron (Samsung) monitor, and it's really good.

Case: It looks like a re-badged Chieftec case, and I really like Chieftec cases (I have two). Mine are built very solidly, and they are roomy, which makes working inside them easy. :D

CD-RW: Very good choice. I have two of these, and they're great!

DVD-ROM: I've never used a Lite-On DVD drive, but I've heard that they're good, too.

OS: Also good choice. I have XP Home on two of my machines, and it's far, far more stable and powerful than Win98, which is what I run on my old computers.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby TheWizard on Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:24 pm

All good, but why not go all out and get dual channel DDR400 RAM? Utilize the motherboard maximum potential. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby pkd7423 on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:30 pm

I would combine the CD-RW and the DVD-ROM into one optical drive...make it the Lite-On LDW-411S.
PK Davis
pkd7423
Buffer Underrun

Postby jidoo on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:21 pm

Thanks for the list. I might use it, if you will, when building my brother's family Christmas PC. It would be interesting to compare the cost of building to the cost of buying. I'm reading an article about building a Pentium III PC. That should be enough for my nieces to play educational software and games, and for my brother and sister-in-law to check the latest fantasy football standings and send digital images of their dog across the net?
:lol:
NEC DV-5500A
Lite-On LDW-401S
jidoo
Buffer Underrun

Return to General Hardware Discussion