Home News Reviews Forums Shop

does a 2.6 p4 processor need thermal paste

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

does a 2.6 p4 processor need thermal paste

Postby flashgordonion on Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:38 pm

I just recieved a 2.6gh p4 w hyperthreading and a heatsink, fan. In the package they didn't include any thermal paste so do I need any.
thanx.
flashgordonion
Buffer Underrun

Postby Stoner on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:08 pm

Well, if they didn't include any in the package, you probably don't need 'em.

I mean you could try not putting any on. I mean, Intel (read THG) does advertise how smart its CPUs are at handling heat by auto adjusting the speed to a safe lvl.

ALL CPUs need thermal paste between it's core and heatsink.
Stoner
CD-RW Thug

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:14 pm

Stoner wrote:ALL CPUs need thermal paste between it's core and heatsink.

Yes, that is true. The stock HSF (Heatsink Fan) for Intel CPU's does not need thermal paste, it has some sort of thermal pad or what-not. Just follow the directions that came with the CPU for putting on the HSF.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:08 am

Stoner wrote:Well, if they didn't include any in the package, you probably don't need 'em.

I mean you could try not putting any on. I mean, Intel (read THG) does advertise how smart its CPUs are at handling heat by auto adjusting the speed to a safe lvl.

ALL CPUs need thermal paste between it's core and heatsink.

What a clever guy you are, Stoner. :roll: Glad to see you making such an effort to be helpful. :roll:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tazdevl on Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:43 pm

cfitz wrote:What a clever guy you are, Stoner. :roll: Glad to see you making such an effort to be helpful. :roll:

cfitz

LOL, what he said, including the eye rolls.

The TIM that comes with the stock heatsink does an OK job conducting heat. However if you plan on overclocking, it would be a good idea to buy some quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver Ceramique or they have a new product coming out next week called Arctic Silver 5. Preliminary results from beta testers indicates that it does perform 1-2C better @ load temps than AS Ceramique.

I don't have my retail kit handy, but I could have sworn the stock Intel HS comes with some Shin Etsu paste in addition to the pad. Might want to look around.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby Stoner on Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:31 pm

My bad, thought the answer was quite obvious whether it comes w/o TIM or just thermal pad. In the latter scenario, you'll get better cooling by scrapping the thermal pad off the heatsink, carefully w/o scratching the actual heatsink surface, then apply a thine layer of thermal paste on the silver heat spreader of a P4. The thermal pad that comes w/ the heatsink will eventually dry up and crack away, leaving on heat transfer medium between the heatsink and CPU. Well, it's really your choice.
Stoner
CD-RW Thug

Postby texascbx on Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:26 pm

Put thermal paste between heatsink and cpu even if you have to go to Radioshack to get their silicone based stuff.Better still would be ceramique or artic siver.
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:23 pm

Stoner wrote:My bad, thought the answer was quite obvious whether it comes w/o TIM or just thermal pad. In the latter scenario, you'll get better cooling by scrapping the thermal pad off the heatsink, carefully w/o scratching the actual heatsink surface, then apply a thine layer of thermal paste on the silver heat spreader of a P4. The thermal pad that comes w/ the heatsink will eventually dry up and crack away, leaving on heat transfer medium between the heatsink and CPU. Well, it's really your choice.

Thanks Stoner. I appreciate you taking the time to re-post your message.

I agree that to most people it is quite obvious that some sort of thermal conduction compound is needed between the heatsink and the chip. However, you never know the background and experience level of someone who asks a question like this, and a newbie could mistake your dry humor for real advice and ruin his or her processor.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to General Hardware Discussion