Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CDRW-DVD Combo Suggestions

Burn baby burn!

CDRW-DVD Combo Suggestions

Postby Feyd on Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:16 am

I am starting grad school next semester and I need a CD-RW. I would also like DVD capabilities as I do not plan to lug my DVD player with me.

I know there aren't a ton of them out there. I'm not an overly picky person. I know there will always be a feature or features that is a bit of a letdown. I'm just looking for suggestions.

There's only a couple of things I specifically prefer. First, I'm not looking for a drive that only accepts media from 2-3 manufacturers. Also, I'm not looking for super-quiet, but out of respect of my roommates, I'd rather not have something that sounds like a 747 at takeoff. Last, I saw a Samsung drive on NewEgg that was fairly priced. Since grad student = poor, please don't include $200 drives or anything like that.

I currently have a CD-RW, but I'm having problems with it. Mainly the above mentioned media compatibility and noise problems.

Thanks!
Feyd
Buffer Underrun

Postby Hard Drive on Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:02 am

I highly recommend the Samsung SM-348B. I bought one and I love it. Read the review here. I have burned Memorex, Maxell, Sony, Phillips, and other media no problem. It's at Newegg for $60 if that's where you're gonna buy it.
Hard Drive
Buffer Underrun

Postby CDRecorder on Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:59 am

Welcome to CDRLabs, Feyd and Hard Drive! :D

You might also consider the Lite-On LTC-48161H combo drive. It seems to be a good drive, judging from the review at CDFreaks.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby TheWizard on Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:00 pm

In addition to Samsung and Lite-On, I would recommend LG. Read the Reviews here to find out which you like best between the various Samsung and LG models. Compare those reviews to the review(s) you can find about the Lite-On, as CDRecorder pointed out. While the Lite-On is noisier than the Samsung and LG, I don't think it is noisy enough to disturb your roommate. College life is never that quiet to begin with; there is always at least a soft buzz going on. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:39 pm

All I got is the LG 48/24/48/16. I had the LG 32/10/40/16

It's pretty quiet, but I know my 52x LiteON burner will have more media compatibility.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:52 pm

Don't sell LG short on media compatibility. It ranks right up there with Lite-On, even better with some comparable models.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives