Home News Reviews Forums Shop

IP address of the computer.

Anything else

IP address of the computer.

Postby pranav81 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:38 pm

Hi guys,
I would like to know if there is a way to hide my IP address from a particular site.A friend of mine has a webpage,and when I visit it,a dialogue box appears telling me my IP address.So,is there any way to hide my actual IP address OR is there any software which tells other IP address other than the actual one OR can I change the IP address dynamically without disconnecting from the internet?
Waiting for a some helpful posts,
Thanks in advance,

::Pranav::
pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:55 pm

You can only do so through a proxy, doing dial-up, or using a service like www.anonymizer.com
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:13 pm

Thanks UALOneKPlus for the link.But is there no free alternative??

Thanks,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:17 pm

pranav81 wrote:Thanks UALOneKPlus for the link.But is there no free alternative??

Thanks,

I'm sure there are free alternatives, but I'm not aware of them. I've never had the need to hide my IP address from anyone.
"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint you can on it."
-Danny Kaye
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:25 pm

Thanks for trying to help me UALOneKPlus.
See ya later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:52 pm

when communicating with another computer, you have to give it your IP address so that data it will send back to you will get to you!
whenever you're on the net you're always sending out your IP address (well, your broswer is...)
is there a particular reason for your concern?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby aviationwiz on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:11 pm

Just set up one of these proxy servers as yours, they are all public and free.

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby pranav81 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:21 am

Thanks guys for the input.Yep,there is a special reason for that.Basically my friend says that it's impossible to browse privately.He challenged me on this.Well the bet was Rs.500 and it seems that I have lost the bet.
By the way is there any way to set up a dummy IP address so that my oroginal IP address will stay intact but the computer on the other end will not recognize real IP,except it will take some other,given by me or randomly.
Waiting for replies,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:31 pm

I'd say that using a proxy server should count to win you the bet, I mean, only the proxy server get's your IP, everything goes through there, so if you used a proxy while you were posting, Ian could not get your real IP, for example.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby pranav81 on Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:38 am

Thanks aviationwiz for the info.I use Wingate as my connection manager at my friends place.But I have a one standalone machine at my home where I have a ISDN dial up.So how do I configure proxy on a single computer?
Thanks in advance,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:00 pm

pranav81 wrote:So how do I configure proxy on a single computer?

You don't, at least not for "anonymous" surfing. If the proxy runs on your computer, it will use your computer's IP address. It can't do anything but that. The only way a proxy server can give some measure of anonymity is if it is a public proxy server on a separate machine with thousands of people using it.

A proxy server receives your request then rewrites it, in effect, so that it appears to be originating from the proxy. It then connects to the final destination to get the data you want. That final destination sees the proxy server's IP address rather than yours and returns the data to the proxy server. Then the proxy server, which does know your IP address, returns the data to you.

However, a proxy server does not in and of itself provide anonymity. If your proxy server is running on the same machine as your browser, then it has the same IP address and nothing is hidden at all. If your proxy server is running on a separate machine but you are the only user, then any request from the proxy can still be deduced to actually have originated from your browser. And even if the proxy server is a separate, publicly accessible machine that many people use, your request could still be traced back to you if the proxy server keeps logs of requests it handles or an outside organization keeps tabs on connections going into and out of the proxy server.

Finally, even with a perfectly anonymous IP address, there are still other means to potentially glean a little or a lot of information about who is connecting to a site, including cookies, web-bugs, unique URLs, etc.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:04 pm

anonymity and privacy shot to hell...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby pranav81 on Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Helpful and informative as always,thats cfitz!
Thanks cfitz....I guess I have to shell out that Rs.500 of hard earned money.....!!
Thanks a lot guys for trying to help.

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:33 pm

You're welcome.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mondogord on Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:08 am

aviationwiz wrote:Just set up one of these proxy servers as yours, they are all public and free.

http://www.publicproxyservers.com/index.html

FYI - This is a great service if you want to watch a free video stream from another country that restricts access to IPs from that country.
http://www.geocities.com/tymediacanada
Where to find blank TY media (CDr, DVD+r and DVD-r) in Canada? Check here.
mondogord
Buffer Underrun

Postby integspec on Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:13 pm

I think it would be impossible to hide your IP address. On the other hand you needn't worry about it if your IP is being recognized because there isn't much anyone can do just by having it. In a nutshell, to recive a reply you should state your home address but as far as your home is locked and protected you don't need to worry about it.

Basically, here is a /simple test to find out how secure your system is:
http://www.grc.com/lt/howtouse.htm
http://www.grc.com/files/LeakTest.exe

Download this file and run to check the integrity of your firewall. It's a qnd way to find out how secure you are. This test only applies for users who run a personal firewall (eg: NIS, Zonealarm)

Go here for a another comprehensive test from Symantec:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/defa ... &venid=sym

Pranav, maybe it's too late to save your Rs.500 but I think your friend didn't earn it the right way. Whenever you visit a site, the webserver logs your IP. IP address is one of the first info given before establishing the connection itself (handshake). Counter challenge your friend to pull off "IP Spoofing" for 1000 and get it back double.
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1674
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby pranav81 on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:39 pm

Thanks guys for the help.I already gave him the money.But I intend to regain the money back as soon as I can.
See ya guys later,

pranav81
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions