Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Apple's Dirty Secret

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Postby hoxlund on Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:30 pm

probably one of the best selling cards to date
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:39 pm

OK a few "reminders":

PCI bus overloading
sound distorting
data corruption

yeah i have that card too and personally have'nt had problems with it, but many people have.
bad design, bad drivers, and they didn't own up to their product being problematic.
if AMD or Intel say behaved this way you'd be hollering your lungs out with complaints.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:56 pm

I'm still pissed that Creative bought Aureal. The A3D cards kicked the Soudblaster's ass.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:55 pm

I had an SB Live Value Edition, it was a good card. Good sound, good price, good all around.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:08 pm

dodecahedron wrote:bad drivers

I just use the drivers bundled with WinXP on my SB Live Value; maybe that's why I haven't had problems with it. Come to think of it, Creative did bundle beta versions of some drivers with the card (which I had to use before I got WinXP).
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby cfitz on Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:13 pm

aviationwiz wrote:In no way was I saying that the iPod battery is user replaceable, my point was, is that from that phone call, it was WAY to easy for him to just call up, as a non-iPod user, give them a name, and say his problem, get thier response, and hang up.

So when you wrote, "It is a bunch of BS" you intended just the very narrow meaning of "he isn't an iPod user"? Interesting word choice to convey that meaning... :roll:

For the sake of debate (and only for that sake), let's assume that he is just a shill out to bash iPods. Was the information he presented factual and accurate? Yes! Therefore his identity is completely irrelevant. Given this, what could your objection possibly be? Could it be that your sense of self-worth is so wrapped up in your possessions that you interpret disclosure of their shortcomings as an attack on your person? Proud, proud owner indeed... I hope for your sake that this is not the case. If it is, you should consider a little introspection regarding your value system.

aviationwiz wrote:His tone of voice isn't sounding real either, that in the sence that his iPod battery is indeed dead.

Ah! Of course! Silly me. I forget that there is a special tone of voice to use when describing one's dead iPod battery. I guess I wasn't paying proper attention in English class when they taught that lesson... :roll:

Your statement is utterly ridiculous, aviationwiz. Exactly how should someone sound when describing a dead battery? Heartbroken? Dejected? Resigned? Calmly detached? Mildly irritated? Righteously angry? Psychotically enraged? To even suggest that there is a right and wrong tone for describing a dead battery is such obvious drivel that I feel a little embarrassed about wasting the bandwidth to respond to your assertion.

aviationwiz wrote:Also, I wasn't wrong, because the $99 repair program has been going on for quite some time, and I knew about it prior to this.

Oh, this is rich! You knew all about it, but even so you decided not to reveal this factual information in defense of your precious iPod?!? Strange decision, that, since presenting this information would have made your point more powerfully than resorting to name-calling. Of course, that assumes you actually did know about the $99 repair program prior to your post, which I don't believe for an instant. First of all, someone who did know about it would have mentioned it in order to refute the claim in the movie. Secondly, someone who bothered to read up on the program today before posting a response, let alone someone who has known about it since some imaginary date in the past, would know that the program has only been ongoing since November 14:

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=451
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/ ... 2233.shtml
http://ipodlounge.com/ipodnews_comments ... 70_0_7_0_C

A week and a half hardly qualifies as "quite some time." :roll:

Come on, aviationwiz. Your explanations stretch even the most generous supply of credulity. It would be easier, more mature, and less embarrassing for you to simply admit when you are wrong.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aviationwiz on Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:24 pm

Right here:
http://www.digitalmusicsite.com/forums/ ... wtopic=285

I consider that to be quite a while, as I have seen a lot of news since then.

I read it on the first day, never bothered replying though. BTW, the people there hate me because I argue with them on just about everything and I make, as of late, intelligent posts, backing up all my reasoning, and they just don't like it.

His tone of voice just doesn't sound real, I can't explain it, it's just something that I know.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby hoxlund on Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:30 am

haha you guys, well now im looking to getting the nomad jukebox zen xtra 30gb now, after i sell my 9700 pro all in wonder tomarrow morning and order the ATI 9800 Pro XT
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:43 am

CDRecorder wrote:
dodecahedron wrote:just my 2 cents:
if Creative are so good with soundcards, how did they make that utter crap SoundBlaster Live! ???

Why do you call the SB Live "utter crap"? I have one of these cards, and it seems pretty good to me!

Agreed! I have 1, and all my immediate family members and friends use Sound Blaster Live too! :D (and quiter happily I may add).

I remember when it first came out that there were driver issues, but they were quickly solved. :D
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:05 am

I recieved this PM from the person who made the video:

before filming the movie we called the police department. the NYPD said and sent us official documentation saying that any posters put up around the city that were not in authorized frames or on private billboards were in fact put up without permission, therefore anything written on or done to these poster was perfectly LEGAL. as for the comment about the call sounding like it was done in order to make a film about it, you're correct we did call apple for the purpose of the film. that does not change the fact that it was apple that we were talking to and the statement we put up all over the city "ipod's unreplaceable battery lasts only 18 months" was entirely substatiated by apple themselves computer.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby TheWizard on Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:26 am

Nobody understands, aviationwiz HAS to be right. If he is wrong and he admits it, his very existence will terminate. I have learned to ignore his, as cfitz put it, "drivel." If no one pays attention to him, he'll still think he is right, but it will only be in his little world. He can't hurt anyone in his own little world...I don't think.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby integspec on Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:25 am

I do have a SB Live and I have never thought of replacing the card. There is some truth regarding the driver complains for this product. Creative took a long time to put the driver bundle together and yet when they came up with it, they excluded some of the value added apps (eg: audio capture software) from it. As a win2k user I couldn't enable 6 channel sound for a long time until Creative bundled drivers stabilized and WinXP was realeased with native drivers.
Stone walls do not a prison make,
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love,
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such liberty. - Richard Lovelace
integspec
CD-RW Player

Postby pkd7423 on Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:28 pm

No, he can "hurt" people outside his "own little world".

Some people think, by virtue of his number of posts, that he is a seasoned professional and take his "drivel" as gospel.

I think he needs to be outed when he rants.

Thanks to cfitz and others who call people (not just aviationwiz, whom I've ignored for quite awhile lately) out to support their outrageous statements.

Proud, indeed........
PK Davis
pkd7423
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:30 pm

Outrageous? I would hardly cosider posting my views and backing it up well outrageous. Besdies, I was only partially right on this one, and I was wrong on a question about the LDW-811S, so I don't see how I "have to be right".
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:47 am

TheWizard wrote:Nobody understands, aviationwiz HAS to be right. If he is wrong and he admits it, his very existence will terminate. I have learned to ignore his, as cfitz put it, "drivel." If no one pays attention to him, he'll still think he is right, but it will only be in his little world. He can't hurt anyone in his own little world...I don't think.

pkd7423 wrote:No, he can "hurt" people outside his "own little world".

Some people think, by virtue of his number of posts, that he is a seasoned professional and take his "drivel" as gospel.

I think he needs to be outed when he rants.

I think you are both right. I do try to ignore silliness in general because the people who post it often just want attention. As TheWizard suggests, the best way to deal with these sorts is to ignore them. However, as pkd7423 points out, others (newbies in particular) may confuse volume with authority and get bad advice as a result.

Now, this doesn't mean that aviationwiz can't or hasn't ever contributed useful content. He can and has. And I think everyone can make valuable contributions to the forums. However, the only way to do this is to post objective information and reasoned, supportable opinions while leaving unsubstantiated opinions, bashing, trolling, etc. at the door.

aviationwiz wrote:Outrageous? I would hardly cosider posting my views and backing it up well outrageous.

I wouldn't consider that outrageous either. But that isn't what you have done in this thread.

aviationwiz wrote:Besdies, I was only partially right on this one, and I was wrong on a question about the LDW-811S, so I don't see how I "have to be right".

Actually being right and having to feel as if you are right are two different things. Look at this thread. You weren't partially right, you were completely wrong. But more importantly, try to step back and objectively look at how you have fought tooth and nail to try to maintain some semblance that your original post was "right". You carefully parsed your original post, redefined its meaning and narrowed its scope, reinterpreted the meaning of common phrases to suit your purpose, focused on irrelevant tangents, and even went so far as to contact the creator of the subject film. Seriously, ask yourself if that is normal behavior. Would someone who isn't obsessed about proving he is "right" go to all that trouble? Perhaps this matter and the reasons underlying it also deserve some introspection on your part.

As for the content of the PM you posted, it adds nothing new to the discussion to support your (rather precarious) position. Even worse, it puts you in a bad light.

First, the fact the recording was made specifically for the film is no surprise. No one doubted that the filmmaker had to make a phone call (or two) to document Apple's position for the benefit of his movie. Unless he is rather disturbingly in the habit of taping all of his phone calls, he would have to call specifically to record Apple's response. But that doesn't support your contention that he called simply to insult Apple and the iPod or that his battery isn't actually dead. More importantly, and once again I am forced to repeat it, whatever the motivation for, or circumstances surrounding, the making of this film, the information it conveyed was 100% accurate, and not a "bunch of BS" as you initially posted.

Second, as I already explained, going so far as to contact the filmmaker raises questions about your ability to maintain perspective and accept making mistakes.

Finally, the response to your PM indicates that you at the very least questioned the legality of the actions pictured in the film. Perhaps you even made accusations against the filmmaker - I don't know. Either way, it shows both the weakness of your position and the lengths you will go to feel "right": if you can't attack the message, you attack the messenger.

Well I have harped for too long on this. But perhaps my words have had some positive effect. I see that you first changed your signature from "Proud owner of ..." to "Proudly South African" but then switched to a slogan for South African Airways. I guess that is progress of a sort. Pride on the whole is a negative character trait. Check the synonyms for "proud", and consider that pride is the first of the seven deadly sins. Furthermore, being proud to be South African or any other nationality is arguably worse than being proud of possessions. One's possessions might at least conceivably say some tiny little thing about one's character, but nationality is nothing but an accident of fate and says absolutely nothing about one's character or worth. Moreover, "pride" in nationality or other group membership is the root of much evil and suffering in this world.

Peace, and Happy Thanksgiving. 8) :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:27 pm

the new avatar is nice, however :)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby hoxlund on Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:50 pm

i think mines the best :P
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:12 pm

hoxlund wrote:i think mines the best :P

you don't have one! get one! :)
BTW your www link doesn't work.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby hoxlund on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:13 pm

my link? which one?
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:15 pm

I believe he means the www link, in your profile, it links to this:
http://www.angelfire.com/games/hoxlund
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby dodecahedron on Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:48 pm

hoxlund wrote:my link? which one?
:wink:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby TheWizard on Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:19 am

Mmm, yes, take a look at this recent thread to see the kinds of things aviationwiz spouts off that are untrue. This sort of thing happens over and over, but this example should wet everyone's palate. Although, by now, everyone should know this trait of aviationwiz. :P

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13698

What bothers me is that after Ian scolded aviationwiz, he responded by saying he knows it isn't true. Well, why say it in the first place? You don't have to respond to every thread; in fact, don't respond if you don't know anything about the matter at hand. It's OK to leave threads alone. I believe cfitz, or perhaps Ian, told you this a while ago.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby aviationwiz on Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:30 am

Because it was a joke, maybe I should have added a :wink: to the end, then would you have known it was a joke. But seriously, how many Lite-On drives are going to be part-Sony again? We don't know, because thier main line of field for me is CD-R/RW, and it doesn't look like they will make too many more, as 52x has really topped off the market.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby JamieW on Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:37 pm

Aviationwiz: proudly 11 years old.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby hoxlund on Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:17 am

hoxlund
CD-RW Player