Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How often to wash car to prevent paint damage? Not for looks

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

How often to wash car to prevent paint damage? Not for looks

Postby VEFF on Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:03 pm

I guess this is car question week for me:

I was wondering how often to get a car washed at the automatic car wash with metallic paint, so as to prevent paint damage and rust in the long run from accumulated grime and dirt not being washed away in time.

I know it varies based on season/weather.

My car is steel gray metallic, which doesn't look dirty - except up VERY close and on the FRONT rims which have brake dust - even after three weeks, including rain.

I am not concerned as much with the car looking slightly dirty - as I said, even after three weeks it still looks good - as much as I am concerned by the fact that I don't want the dirt to damage the finish if I don't get it washed off often enough...

I know that getting it washed too often (I use the automatic car wash, since hoses aren't permitted where I live, and since it takes too much time anyway) might actually be harmful to the car's paint finish.

I am trying to find a balance between washing it too often and not washing it enough...

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!

to the finish?
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby JamieW on Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:22 pm

You just need to get corrosive stuff off of your car. Things like bird crap, salt, and tree sap. Anything else is really just dirt that isn't going to be a big deal. Be careful what you select. Autowashes with brushes are very bad for your car's coat. Make sure it is a brushless wash. And in winter, when they are throwing down salt and sand, do not use those washes as the pressure can actually push the salt or sand further into nooks and crannies which can cause premature rust.
A man has been charged after allegedly punching a 73-year-old woman in the face, breaking her nose and stabbing her in the arm with a corkscrew before hitting a second woman with a bottle at a wedding reception in the Whitsunday Islands.
JamieW
Chicken Farmer

Postby VEFF on Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:32 pm

Thanks JamieW!

I knew about the advantage of brushless washes. I have been going to brushless washes for years now.

Very interesting info about the winter washing and the effects of pressure washing. Thanks, I didn't know about that.
Unfortunately I have no choice but to go to an automatic car wash, since my condo associaton doesn't allow, nor does it have the facility, for hoses.
I will see if they hose cars down first in winter, before they go through the wash.

Thanks for the info about what is corrosive; I guess that is what I was getting at. I wasn't sure (until I read your reply) how corrosive, if at all, "plain" dirt is.
Of course, it shouldn't be left on too long, but at least it isn't going to harm the finish nearly as quickly as dried up salt, tree sap, tar, bird shit etc.
I knew salt, tree sap and bird shit/crap was not good for the finish.
Burners only:
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-111D
Plextor PX-716A TLA0304
Plextor PX-716A same TLA

LiteOn 52246S 52X CD-RW
LiteOn 52246S (another)
LiteOn 52327S 52X CD-RW
TDK 40X USB 2.0 CD-RW
TEAC CD-W540E 40X CD-RW
VEFF
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:31 am

haha a lot less than a Lincoln should, like once a year, and this being colorado not much birdshit, no bugs
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:06 pm

How often do you wax your car?
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs