Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Akai, Sanyo and 1Media CDR's, who makes them?

Burn baby burn!

Akai, Sanyo and 1Media CDR's, who makes them?

Postby binny on Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:56 pm

Does anyone know who makes Akai, Sanyo and 1Media CDR's?
Anyone have any experience/scans of these discs?

thanks
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby binny on Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:14 pm

No one knows?

Here are some pics of the discs

binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:20 pm

Based on the packaging of the Akai, I would guess they are Ritek, but I can't offer any guarantee.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:41 pm

The Akai do indeed look like Ritek, but instead of the packaging, I am basing this off of the serial number, it looks like the regular font type used by Ritek. The only other font I've seen that looks like Ritek's has to "/"s in it, and I don't see any /'s in the serial number.

The i-media looks like it has a frosted hub, and it deffintaly has the serial number written straight.... this leads me to believe it is Taiyo Yuden, but I've seen other manaufacturers write their serial number straight like that, and I've seen other i-media CD-Rs that were made by CMC... but they didn't have a straight serial number.
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:49 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:The Akai do indeed look like Ritek, but instead of the packaging, I am basing this off of the serial number, it looks like the regular font type used by Ritek.

You can see the font's typeface?? :o Damn... you've got better eyes than mine! :) When I looked at them earlier all I could conclude with certainty was that they were curved. On taking a second look now, though, those serial numbers are further away from the hole than I have ever seen on a Ritek CD-R. All the Ritek that I have seen have the serial number right next to the hole (not that this observation is definitive).

On the other hand, CMC does print their serial numbers further away from the hole, and looking at the reflective layer I see the tell-tale ring that indicates CMC. Thus, I am amending my earlier guess and am now saying that the Akai are most likely CMC.

And I'm not deliberately trying to be contrary, but the i-media hub doesn't look frosted to me. On the other hand I don't think anyone can say definitively one way or the other given the photo's quality... 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:04 pm

Hrm, you make a good argument on the Akai Cfitz, but I'm going to have to stick with my oppinion of Ritek. As for the location of the serial number, it can be in the VERY center ring, or more towards the outer portions, I've seen both. Also, CMC serial numbers tend to be a larger font then that. I see the ring you are referring to, but for CMC there actually has to be a second portion of that ring (a little seperator) that you can normally only see from the underside when the disc is printed on. As you said, I'm not trying to be disagreeable, just stating my opinion. Can someone purchase these discs and give us a hand?? :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:26 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:As you said, I'm not trying to be disagreeable

I know, rex. You are a good guy. :) 8)

dolphinius_rex wrote:Can someone purchase these discs and give us a hand?? :wink:

Well binny, unless someone else has bought these before and knows the manufacturer for sure, it looks like only you can solve this mystery. Your mission, should you care to accept it, is to purchase a few and run them through SMART-BURN or some other similar program. :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby TheWizard on Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:09 am

Maybe they are....Prodisc! I don't know for sure, I'm just making it harder to tell. I know, I'm a pain in the neck. :)
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby binny on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:09 pm

LOL :D

None of you are correct apparently regarding the Akai CDR's. A scan of one reveals this:

Anyone heard of this manufacturer?
I'll have a C1/C2 scan later.

I had a look at the 1Media CDR's, it doesn't seem to have a frosted hub (but I don't really know what that is). So most likely not TY?
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:21 pm

Haven't heard of them befor. Some tracking shows that it is a correct id based on atip.

1media. Does that one state ONEmedia or is it 1media ?
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby binny on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:34 pm

RJW wrote:1media. Does that one state ONEmedia or is it 1media ?

I didn't buy a "1Media" disc as the store didn't have separate individual CDR's for sale. (didn't want to waste $'s if they happen to be CMC)
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby binny on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:06 pm

Here is a scan of the Akai 24X CDR (burnt at 24X):

Pretty good.[/img]
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:42 pm

RJW wrote:1media. Does that one state ONEmedia or is it 1media ?

It looks like "i media" (the letter between "h" and "j") to me (and apparently to dolphinius_rex as well :) )

binny wrote:Anyone heard of this manufacturer?"

I've heard of Unitech before, but I don't believe they are the actual manufacturer of the discs in question. Unitech is an R&D firm in Japan that supplies equipment and and know-how for others who want to make optical discs:

http://www.unitech.jp/act/index.htm

There is some chance that Unitech made the actual discs, depending on how old they are. But I strongly suspect that is not the case. As far as I can tell, the only discs that Unitech (or a related subsidiary) actually makes at this time are DVD-R discs made by the Intermedia subsidiary and sold under the Unifino brand:

http://www.intermedia.jp/index.htm

My guess is that whoever made the Akai discs bought their stamper from Unitech, and quite possibly their entire production line, but that Unitech themselves did not make the Akai discs.

cfitz

P.S. I thought I wrote a post about Unitech in the past, but can't find it. Dodecahedron, can you dust off your semi-official CDRLab's archivist hat and locate it? :wink:
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dolphinius_rex on Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:53 pm

GOsh Cfitz, that was some good work there! :D

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:13 pm

cfitz wrote:P.S. I thought I wrote a post about Unitech in the past, but can't find it. Dodecahedron, can you dust off your semi-official CDRLab's archivist hat and locate it? :wink:

i think this "title" is somewhat overrated. :)
anyway i couldn't find it either.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby RJW on Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:53 am

My guess is that whoever made the Akai discs bought their stamper from Unitech, and quite possibly their entire production line, but that Unitech themselves did not make the Akai discs.

So there like (chiba) Plasmon which hardly sell disc's themselves but are worlds number one suplier of stampers and cd-r manufactureing technology.

In that case disc quality will be as good as the factory implements the technology.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:03 am

RJW wrote:So there like (chiba) Plasmon which hardly sell disc's themselves but are worlds number one suplier of stampers and cd-r manufactureing technology.

In that case disc quality will be as good as the factory implements the technology.

Yes, that is my understanding. In this particular case, at least according to the scan binny provided, whoever actually made the discs did a good job.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:08 am

dolphinius_rex wrote:GOsh Cfitz, that was some good work there! :D

Thanks dolphinius_rex. :)

dodecahedron wrote:i think this "title" is somewhat overrated. :)
anyway i couldn't find it either.

Maybe I'm hallucinating again... :wink: Anyway, thanks for trying. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby binny on Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:31 pm

btw, bought some 1Media CDR's. They are made by Plasmon.

binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby RJW on Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:38 am

The change that there made by Plasmon /Chiba themselves is very small.
I would say the media you got is made with Plasmon stampers.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Postby binny on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:19 am

here is a C1/C2 scan of a 1Media disc...

not good
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby binny on Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:35 am

RJW wrote:The change that there made by Plasmon /Chiba themselves is very small.
I would say the media you got is made with Plasmon stampers.

The 1Media discs have "Plasmon 80 min CD-R" written around the centre hole though.
binny
Buffer Underrun

Postby dolphinius_rex on Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:01 pm

Well, it may not be a *good* disc, but it is a useable disc. We are just picky! :wink:

dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives