Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LG not doing well with Memorex discs

Burn baby burn!

LG not doing well with Memorex discs

Postby CameraMan on Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:05 pm

I've got a Benq DVD+R burner in one box, and a LG 40x burner in another. Both using the same version of Nero.

I'm using discs I bought at Future Shop (Memorex .. came up as InfoDisc 97m25s35f Dye Type 5).

The BenQ burns them fine (at it's max of 16x) , but the LG at 16x (or even 2x) has errors all over the place. Just a data disc , with a verify on the end of the burn.

I've also got some TDK's (97m26s66f CMC) that burn great at any speed.

Is there something wrong with the LG ?? Should I just keep this spindle for the BenQ burner ?

I wish there was some way of knowing what type of discs yer getting before you open the package.. arrg!
-John

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - Slurpee Capital of the world!
BenQ DW400A, LG 24x, 48x & 52x
CameraMan
Buffer Underrun

Re: LG not doing well with Memorex discs

Postby BurninMan921 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:54 am

CameraMan wrote:I wish there was some way of knowing what type of discs yer getting before you open the package.. arrg!

There is...buy Taiyo Yudens!

The drive is probably just a bit picky about the media. I've had drives that wouldn't burn some PNY discs at any speed, and another that burn them great. TY's though seem to be a near-universal constant for great burns.

So far, I know of only two retail brands you can pick up that are TY's:
FujiFilm - ONLY if "Made In Japan" - These are getting hard to find
Maxell CD-R Pro - Only the Pro's, and they are expensive. But they do have a nice scratch resistant layer on 'em. Nice for the "important" stuff.

Or just buy 'em online from Meritline, Rima, or Allmediaoutlet.
Soon to be proud user of Mandrake 10 (again!). SuSE 9 sucks!
BurninMan921
CD-RW Player

Postby dolphinius_rex on Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:55 am

Not quite universal for good burns... Arctec drives I'm told burn them horribly!

That reason alone puts Arctec near the top of my list for burners that I want to own.... right after an AOpen 52x burner, and maybe the LiteON 52327S.

And, no, I don't want them for everyday burning, just for use in my CD-R reviews! :wink:
Punch Cards -> Paper Tape -> Tape Drive -> 8" Floppy Diskette -> 5 1/4" Floppy Diskette -> 3 1/2" "Flippy" Diskette -> CD-R -> DVD±R -> BD-R

The Progression of Computer Media
dolphinius_rex
CD-RW Player

Re: LG not doing well with Memorex discs

Postby TheWizard on Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:10 am

CameraMan wrote:I'm using discs I bought at Future Shop (Memorex .. came up as InfoDisc 97m25s35f Dye Type 5).

There's your problem right there, InfoDisc sucks. They're CD-RW's are crap, and it seems as though their CD-R's aren't much better. Do a search for Memorex InfoDisc and you'll see some others talking about its poor performance. The TDK's you have are a better choice.
No, I like women.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby RJW on Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:41 pm

dolphinius_rex wrote:Not quite universal for good burns... Arctec drives I'm told burn them horribly!

That reason alone puts Arctec near the top of my list for burners that I want to own.... right after an AOpen 52x burner, and maybe the LiteON 52327S.

And, no, I don't want them for everyday burning, just for use in my CD-R reviews! :wink:

About Artec they screwed up on some specific models when it comes to the media support of TY. The strange thing is that these models actually like CMC media quite well.
RJW
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives