Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Pressed DVD-ROM discs. Curious...

How fast is too fast?

Pressed DVD-ROM discs. Curious...

Postby cold_fusion on Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:11 pm

Hello friends. How are ya? Good.

My question is:

1. When you burn a DVD disc but is not full you can tell where the track ends. Why is it that on a "Pressed" DVD you can't even tell the disc was actually burned because they look... they look... so silver & original!

2. Were they actually burned or the word "pressed" means that the silver part which contains all the data is literaly "printed" by some kind of printer and then "glued" on the disc and not burned using a industrial burner.

Sorry in advance for the words I have used such as "glued" etc. That was pretty lame... :oops:
cold_fusion
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:18 pm

I guess it could be because it's not so much of a chemical change between the area containing data with pressed DVD's than it is with recorded DVD's.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Re: Pressed DVD-ROM discs. Curious...

Postby CDRecorder on Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:19 am

cold_fusion wrote:Hello friends. How are ya? Good.

My question is:

1. When you burn a DVD disc but is not full you can tell where the track ends. Why is it that on a "Pressed" DVD you can't even tell the disc was actually burned because they look... they look... so silver & original!

2. Were they actually burned or the word "pressed" means that the silver part which contains all the data is literaly "printed" by some kind of printer and then "glued" on the disc and not burned using a industrial burner.

Sorry in advance for the words I have used such as "glued" etc. That was pretty lame... :oops:

Pressed DVDs are created using a stamp which creates small pits in the reflective layer of the disc. This is why you can't tell by looking if any area is "unrecorded" on a pressed disc. The same goes for CDs.

Recordable DVDs (and CDs) have a reflective layer behind a layer of dye. The dye is what gives the disc its color. When a disc is "burned", parts of that dye are heated so that they become transparent, simulating the pits on a pressed disc. This is why the recorded area on a disc looks different than the unrecorded area.
CDRecorder
CD-RW Recorder

Postby NoSmartz on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:45 pm

Pressed DVDs are created using a stamp which creates small pits in the reflective layer of the disc. This is why you can't tell by looking if any area is "unrecorded" on a pressed disc. The same goes for CDs.

Recordable DVDs (and CDs) have a reflective layer behind a layer of dye. The dye is what gives the disc its color. When a disc is "burned", parts of that dye are heated so that they become transparent, simulating the pits on a pressed disc. This is why the recorded area on a disc looks different than the unrecorded area.

That's interesting.
I didn't know that.
Learn somethin' new every day.

E
NoSmartz
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Drives